"Eric Schmidt calls Android 'more secure than the iPhone'"

TopWargamer

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/7/4814422/eric-schmidt-says-android-is-more-secure-than-iphone

Willis: "If you polled many people in this audience they would say Google Android is not their principal platform... When you say Android, people say, wait a minute, Android is not secure."

Schmidt: "Not secure? It's more secure than the iPhone."

That's a very bold thing to say, but he's not wrong. In reality though, neither the iPhone or Android devices are secure enough. There's always some kind of work-a-round. This should be a very interesting debate though. I think I'll sit back with some popcorn and watch 2 of the biggest tech companies go at it. Should be fun. 

COMIC SANS

Yea neither are secure.  Each have their own vulnerabilities. At least Google is quick to remedy most security issues.  Time to reach your handset via its manufacturer is the biggest hurdle for Android.  Still better than Apple who has massive flaws/bugs and barely even acknowledges them.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Yea neither are secure.  Each have their own vulnerabilities. At least Google is quick to remedy most security issues.  Time to reach your handset via its manufacturer is the biggest hurdle for Android.  Still better than Apple who has massive flaws/bugs and barely even acknowledges them.

Unless you have a non stock android phone.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I would put Androids security head to head with iOS. no real advantage on either side to be honest.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Unless you have a non stock android phone.

Issue is, most of us don't have stock phones, most come with all the bloatware and crap we don't want. 

The day stock Android takes over shall be a glorious day. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Issue is, most of us don't have stock phones, most come with all the bloatware and crap we don't want. 

Indeed, it's gonna happen soon though.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Until then the android people will have to deal with bad software and partial incompatibility with cyanogenmod.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Until then the android people will have to deal with bad software and partial incompatibility with cyanogenmod.

Bad software? 

Hail Sithis!

As long as you download apps from the Play Store, you will be fine. 

Hail Sithis!

Bad software? 

As long as you download apps from the Play Store, you will be fine. 

Pretty sure he meant crapware/bloatware. Custom ROMs and flashes rule.

sysloc

Pretty sure he meant crapware/bloatware. Custom ROMs and flashes rule.

No, he was saying the custom roms have bad software...

Hail Sithis!

no one made u get a non-vanilla phone. You didn't get a nexus, that's ur fault

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

No I would deff choose iOS of android for security even tho they may both have floors look at all of androids the thing about google having all your passcodes for your wireless there has been a bunch of other things too yes there has been some for iOS but they got fixed relatively quick compared to android ATM I would choose iOS for security I wanted to go android but now I can't because of all the floors that keep popping up

no one made u get a non-vanilla phone. You didn't get a nexus, that's ur fault

I challenge your argument: 

1) Not all carriers carry Nexus phones

2) Nexus phones aren't available every where (similar to point 1 but in a more geographical point) 

3) At the time I got my current phone, the Nexus 4 was announced but yet to be released. 

4) Please use correct grammar, e.g No instead of "no" and your instead of "ur" 

No I would deff choose iOS of android for security even tho they may both have floors look at all of androids the thing about google having all your passcodes for your wireless there has been a bunch of other things too yes there has been some for iOS but they got fixed relatively quick compared to android ATM I would choose iOS for security I wanted to go android but now I can't because of all the floors that keep popping up

Android and iOS have different floors?

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

yes

one is ceramic and the other is Oak wood

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

one very long sentence with no punctuation.

Are you saying one is better than the other except when the other is better?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah ... just a reminder: Eric Schmidt is a Google executive. If Tim Cook said "The iPhone is more secure than Androids" people here would be quick ranting about Apple ... but it's Eric Schmidt aka Google ... so he must be right, not? :)

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

why do people say it's insecure? Windows isn't that safe, Mac also isn't and closing up the ecosystem wouldn't make any sense either...

That's a very bold thing to say, but he's not wrong. In reality though, neither the iPhone or Android devices are secure enough. There's always some kind of work-a-round. This should be a very interesting debate though. I think I'll sit back with some popcorn and watch 2 of the biggest tech companies go at it. Should be fun. 

I wouldn't get too excited for a war of words type situation. CEOs spout this kind of stuff all the time, it's the sort of stuff that gets rewarded as "maverick" since the Cult of Jobs became such a media asset. Besides - sorry, definitely disagree. For the average user picking up a phone and installing what they want and not having to worry about malware and all that. Android is obviously more vulnerable. (I have a Windows Phone, btw.)

Are you saying one is better than the other except when the other is better?

i didnt know this was english class :S and no im saying ios is better for security.

seriously u know what i ment grow up -_-

i didnt know this was english class :S and no im saying ios is better for security.

I didn't exactly correct you, it was just a passive/aggressive way to point out why it was difficult to understand what you meant.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Bad software? 

No, he was saying the custom roms have bad software...

You see that word 'and', it's a linking word, a linking words separates two items, I was talking about the stock roms being bad. Also, Cyanogen Mod isn't flawless, it does have some problems.

You see that word 'and', it's a linking word, a linking words separates two items, I was talking about the stock roms being bad. Also, Cyanogen Mod isn't flawless, it does have some problems.

When's the last time you've used CM or any other custom ROMs based on it recently on a high-end device? I use CM ROMs on my HTC One all day long and never have any issues, they're not 100 percent stable, but 95 percent is pretty damn nice.

On the radio a few months ago they said that iOS is more vulnerable than Android because of its security flaws.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>