When Does Gaming Become Addicitive?

Hello everyone,

Xhodan here. I've been watching LinusTechTip videos for awhile now and I really enjoy the content. Anyway, as the title states. When does gaming become addictive?

I'm curious to hear all your opinions. Leave creative comments, opinions, and idea's bellow! :)

When you start to neglect responsibilities in order to game.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

everything that is fun is addictive to some degree.

the line is where you get "addicted" and will drop things that are more important to get your "gaming fix" and basicly destroy your life because of it.

i saw a friend's dad get addicted to gaming, while his mom's alcohol problem returned because of how the dad just did nothing but gaming, losing his job, marriage ruined blabla.

result is the son moved to his girlfriend in the UK, the mom is... drunk i guess? and afaik the dad is on world of warcraft with his computer form 2002 :P

theres like a curve for me

gaming a bit -> gaming some more -> gaming way more -> gaming > life -> fuck life, gaming 24/7 -> ugh gaming is getting boring -> .... -> pls -> this game is boring -> all games are boring

im in the "this game is boring" phase, where most games seem boring, and most games cant grasp my attention for over a week.

:( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

theres like a curve for me

gaming a bit -> gaming some more -> gaming way more -> gaming > life -> fuck life, gaming 24/7 -> ugh gaming is getting boring -> .... -> pls -> this game is boring -> all games are boring

im in the "this game is boring" phase, where most games seem boring, and most games cant grasp my attention for over a week.

:( 

havent gotten that 24/7, but i cant find anygame fun aswell atm :/. little bit over 100 games in library and cant find anything worth while, maybe no man sky will spark some fire into games for me.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

1 minute ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

havent gotten that 24/7, but i cant find anygame fun aswell atm :/. little bit over 100 games in library and cant find anything worth while, maybe no man sky will spark some fire into games for me.

oh, ive gotten into 48/4/~200.

addictive personality + gaming = hard to control.

honestly, i dont even have a lot of games. i just find them unappealing now :(

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well I'm going to play some TF2 because I've not played it for a few days (since the 18th), I've been busy.

Though to more directly answer your question, I think it really depends on how well you can control yourself.

World of Warcraft I can spend a few hours on depending on what I'm doing but after those few hours and that's it for maybe the rest of the day or next day or two.

I might spend a few hours in Just Cause 3 or GTA V on my PS4 sometimes, but again that would be it for that day. Though I did play Just Cause 3 for hours on end for like a week. I was determined to finish the story and liberate all settlements/bases which can be challenging sometimes.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, themctipers said:

wouldnt be so bad, but i just spended quite a bit on upgrading my pc. Also lost quite a bit of save files when reinstalling os ;(.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

Just now, Flavortown2k16 said:

wouldnt be so bad, but i just spended quite a bit on upgrading my pc. Also lost quite a bit of save files when reinstalling os ;(.

most of the time when i was really into it

i had almost top of the line gear.. i mean as a kid whos parents recently upgraded his pc from a P4 to i5 760 in 2010.. and 4x4gb of ram.

i've lost lots of save files, trust me. although i have lots of save files on my E:\ drive.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

back when i had horrendous sleeping issues i at one point played minecraft for something like 50 hours in one sitting.

one has to do something when they dont sleep for an entire week.

(by the way, "on day 7 you start to see things" is real, and in hindsight it is REALLY creepy because you dont realise its happening.)

20 minutes ago, Xhodan said:

When does gaming become addictive?

Not everyone gets addicted, I game a lot, but I could easily just not go on my PC for a week, which happens, and I barely notice, mostly I use it as a social thing unless I want to get nice and engrossed in a great single player campaign on weekends or after a long day at work

When is it addictive? when it starts to take over your life, you neglect your responsibilities, friends, or disrupt sleep etc

basically when it becomes more than a hobby, and starts to be come a daily thing that is part of your life

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, manikyath said:

back when i had horrendous sleeping issues i at one point played minecraft for something like 50 hours in one sitting.

one has to do something when they dont sleep for an entire week.

(by the way, "on day 7 you start to see things" is real, and in hindsight it is REALLY creepy because you dont realise its happening.)

by day 2 of me not sleeping at all, i start to not be able to read things and imagine random shit appearing in front of my screen

by day 5, i just collapse for 16 hours or so.. haven't gotten to day 6 yet.

pls, at my worst i've played mc every time i got a chance. i mean from like 3:45 til like 2am for 5 days then for the whole day for 2 days.

my eyesight is really bad :(

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

by day 2 of me not sleeping at all, i start to not be able to read things and imagine random shit appearing in front of my screen

by day 5, i just collapse for 16 hours or so.. haven't gotten to day 6 yet.

pls, at my worst i've played mc every time i got a chance. i mean from like 3:45 til like 2am for 5 days then for the whole day for 2 days.

my eyesight is really bad :(

on day 7 those things you "imagine" are actually happening, except they're not.

and then you finally pass out, and when you wake up you try to seriously figure out why last night there were minecraft blocks all over your bedroom. i imagine this is what LSD feels like, and honestly... its not a good idea :/

on day 7 those things you "imagine" are actually happening, except they're not.

and then you finally pass out, and when you wake up you try to seriously figure out why last night there were minecraft blocks all over your bedroom. i imagine this is what LSD feels like, and honestly... its not a good idea :/

free drug trip

100% legit

does it count if i see something on my monitor and then i turn away for a second i can still barely see what was on the monitor? happens to me most of the time.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

free drug trip

100% legit

does it count if i see something on my monitor and then i turn away for a second i can still barely see what was on the monitor? happens to me most of the time.

i'm talking you are actually interacting with things that are real to you, but in fact are not there at all.

i climbed over minecraft blocks that didnt exist. wrap your head around that.

TLDR: dont do drugs, and if you cant sleep for days, talk to your doctor before you hurt yourself.

i'm talking you are actually interacting with things that are real to you, but in fact are not there at all.

i climbed over minecraft blocks that didnt exist. wrap your head around that.

TLDR: dont do drugs, and if you cant sleep for days, talk to your doctor before you hurt yourself.

way way worse than me

you win ggwp

probably should talk to doctor about not being able to sleep :P 4 hours of sleep is barely passable for me for a week :c

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Hmmmm...have I ever been addicted to a game? No actually, I play games to keep things off my mind that's happening in real life 90% of the times which is probably why from only playing video games with friends 2 years ago, I more just play solo or people I've met in matches now (95% of the time?)

In my defence, the only games that's able to keep my attention span for more than 10 mins is CSGO and since one of my friend's got VAC banned, none of them play it anymore, CIV 5, dayz, arma, GTA 5 ect. can all keep my attention for no more than 30 mins and I get bored or they play boring games known as Mobas (Smite and League specifically)...:P ah well.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

CIV 5 ,just one more round........what ,already 3oclock ?

12 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

CIV 5 ,just one more round........what ,already 3oclock ?

correction.

"just one more round... what, already next year xD"

That really varies from person to person imo.

My signs of game addiction are when I start to become WAY to upset/salty with the game, which is usually the result from playing a single game for too long in one day (e.g. Rocket League or Overwatch)

Aside from that, if gaming starts to get in the way of my day to day responsibilities that's when I just put them down for a few hours. Helps me clear my mind and all that jazz.

Another sign of addiction is when you end up spending $300+ on a keyboard & mouse...

...what?

81de5f30b74a42a28d4a226669235703.png 

I find that I will go through odd spells of not wanting to game for months and then I get a short burst of "I really fricking want to play something today!!" Which only lasts a couple of days. So sad. It's the summer hols though so I got all the time in the world to whatever I want right now. Lets see what happens.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, chaz__teamgreen said:

Roughly in the ball park of 3 minutes into your first steam game, or when ever you see a rust youtube video.

rust actually put me strongly off from gaming. Just another generic survival clone in an already saturated market.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

any habit or hobby becomes an addiction when you cannot stop and when it controls your life

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K