PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

So, upgrading from a Corsair CX600M to a EVGA 750 GQ is a pretty good decision (especially if I am interested in starting overclocking)?

15 minutes ago, CWSfan16 said:

So, upgrading from a Corsair CX600M to a EVGA 750 GQ is a pretty good decision (especially if I am interested in starting overclocking)?

What is your computers specs? 

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What is your computers specs? 

Current: Xeon e3 1231 v3, 16gb DDR3 RAM, GTX 1070, BR optic drive, 1 SSD, 2 Hard Drives

Upgrading CPU to the i7-4790K, CPU cooler to a Corsair H100i V2, and eventually getting another 16gb of RAM

5 hours ago, CWSfan16 said:

Current: Xeon e3 1231 v3, 16gb DDR3 RAM, GTX 1070, BR optic drive, 1 SSD, 2 Hard Drives

Upgrading CPU to the i7-4790K, CPU cooler to a Corsair H100i V2, and eventually getting another 16gb of RAM

CXM green or gray lable?

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

CXM green or gray lable?

Green

35 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

CXM green or gray lable?

CX 430/600/600(M) are all green labels and are average

CX 400 are a special snow flake and has a black label and are good.

CX 450/550/650M have a gray/grey label and are very good.

CX 750/850(M) have either a green or gray/grey label, gray/grey is better but either are good

38 minutes ago, CWSfan16 said:

Yep, worth the upgrade, but 750W is really overkill for a single GTX 1070, I would just get a Corsair CX 450M if you are not going to SLI, but an EVGA GQ 750W is a great choice if you are going to SLI in the future.

10 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

CX 430/600/600(M) are all green labels and are average

CX 400 are a special snow flake and has a black label and are good.

CX 450/550/650M have a gray/grey label and are very good.

CX 750/850(M) have either a green or gray/grey label, gray/grey is better but either are good

Yep, worth the upgrade, but 750W is really overkill for a single GTX 1070, I would just get a Corsair CX 450M if you are not going to SLI, but an EVGA GQ 750W is a great choice if you are going to SLI in the future.

Yes, I would like to get a second 1070 in SLI, when the SLI support becomes better with the 1070's

38 minutes ago, CWSfan16 said:

Yes, I would like to get a second 1070 in SLI, when the SLI support becomes better with the 1070's

I don't think you will need to SLI, if your GTX 1070 isn't good enough, sell it on and get a new GPU, chances are the next couple of generations will be out by then.

How's the Raidmax Vampire in general? is it one of raidmax's(very few) good psus? there's a 700w unit for $45.

http://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/pc-hardware/power-supplies/5402-raidmax-vampire-rx-1000gh-1000w-power-supply-unit-review?showall=&start=7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

12 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

How's the Raidmax Vampire in general? is it one of raidmax's(very few) good psus? there's a 700w unit for $45.

http://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/pc-hardware/power-supplies/5402-raidmax-vampire-rx-1000gh-1000w-power-supply-unit-review?showall=&start=7

HEC, so I would assume it is based on one of the Cougar GX models.

I am going to assume it is average. 

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

HEC, so I would assume it is based on one of the Cougar GX models.

I am going to assume it is average. 

which tier would it be at if you had to estimate?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

39 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

which tier would it be at if you had to estimate?

Idk, I don't have a review and I cannot tell you what it is based on, it is probably one of the Cougar GX models, but I don't know which generation it is, 80plus.org didn't list it as a rebrand.

I am going to assume it isn't awful but isn't good either, I haven't looked at the 1000W review because I doubt it has much relevance with a 700W model in the same series. 

Tier 2 psu baby. I wanted to get a 750 G2, but the 650 GS was on sale at the time and I don't really need 750w anyway.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

16 hours ago, TobiMay said:

Tier 2 psu baby. I wanted to get a 750 G2, but the 650 GS was on sale at the time and I don't really need 750w anyway.

I use the 550GS is my personal rig :D

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

according to old pcmr post in 2014 seasonic m12ii evo was tier1 and was tier1 in 2015 too tgrbCnr.jpg

why is it tier3 now? i have m12 ii evo 750watt.. should i change it?

1 minute ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

according to old pcmr post in 2014 seasonic m12ii evo was tier1 and was tier1 in 2015 too 

that list was very inaccurate IIRC. the m12ii is still very good, you don't have to bother with an upgrade.

1 minute ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

If you haven't already realised, there are 7 tiers in this list...not just 5 (well technically 6 as there is 2a and 2b) :D 

Tier 1-3 is a mix of the tier 1-2 PSUs in that list so your PSU is perfectly fine.

Basically tier 3 is the lowest tier where you no longer have to worry about putting a firecracker in your case :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

according to old pcmr post in 2014 seasonic m12ii evo was tier1 and was tier1 in 2015 too tgrbCnr.jpg

PCMR list is bad, better than nothing, but bad. 

What is it powering? The Seasonic M12II is good still a good PSU, there is no doubt about that. 

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

PCMR list is bad, better than nothing, but bad. 

What is it powering? The Seasonic M12II is good still a good PSU, there is no doubt about that. 

amd fx8350 and evga nvidia 980 ti classified

no sli or heavy overclock. will be upgraded to intel soon... but since 8350 has higher tdp it wouldnt hurt i guess..

4 minutes ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

no sli or heavy overclock. will be upgraded to intel soon... but since 8350 has higher tdp it wouldnt hurt i guess..

It's fine, but I would not sli, tier 2 or above is recommended for dual gpu computers

4 hours ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

You're fine on an M12. It's just that the old group-regulated design of the M12 and S12 are showing their age and are outperformed electrically by the Corsair CXM series. They're still plenty good on a budget and can power nearly anything without worry, but you can do better for like $15 more (EVGA B2, GQ, Seasonic G-series, etc).

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

@STRMfrmXMN

You should add CoolMax USA in the bottom tier, just got one last week and OMG ... It's a brand new unit that was factory sealed, I'm gonna post some of the pictures I took, traces lifting at different places, the IC used is actually discontinued and some legs of the IC were soldiered together.

Overall bad quality, unless you're looking to start a fire, then it's perfect! ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

22 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

@STRMfrmXMN

You should add CoolMax USA in the bottom tier, just got one last week and OMG ... It's a brand new unit that was factory sealed, I'm gonna post some of the pictures I took, traces lifting at different places, the IC used is actually discontinued and some legs of the IC were soldiered together.

Overall bad quality, unless you're looking to start a fire, then it's perfect! ;)

I mean I think we know, with a name like "CoolMax" it's gonna start a fire but ya know :P

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I mean I think we know, with a name like "CoolMax" it's gonna start a fire but ya know :P

Cooler Master doesn't sound much better tbh

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.