Facebook is now in the drone business

Src: http://www.theverge.com/a/mark-zuckerberg-future-of-facebook/aquila-drone-internet

Facebook has successfully launched its first drone aircraft that they one day hope will be a solar-powered internet provider for people on the edges of cities or in more rural areas.

It’s a linchpin of the company’s plan to bring the internet to all 7 billion people on Earth, regardless of their income or where they live. Doing so will lift millions of people out of poverty, Zuckerberg says, improving education and health globally along the way.

TL;DR:

• Facebook is actively trying to build an internet-providing plane
    • by allowing access to those that don't have internet access, Facebook can increase its user count
  • The drones (in theory) could fly for 90 days at a time.
    • The test flight was 90 minutes (originally estimated to be 30 minutes).
  • Current drone has a wingspan of 141 feet, and weighs 900 lbs.
    • It is currently powered by batteries only.
    • Future iterations will add solar panels and better batteries.
  • Internet access will be provided by laser communication in the "tens of gigabytes per second" range.
    • The drone could communicate with base stations providing service for up to 50 km.

You may remember Facebook announcing something like this before with the intent to launch internet to places like India but was shot down for net neutrality reasons.

Zuckerberg says the company has learned from its failure in India — one he hopes is temporary. “We’ve learned a lot about how we need to interact with with governments and the political system and regulators, and build support in order to have these things work. And I think we’ll take those lessons forward,” he said. Solar-powered planes will raise additional regulatory issues, he says. “But when I meet world leaders, a lot folks are really excited about this, because you want your people to be online, and you want more opportunities. And connectivity is one of the biggest ways that people get access to opportunities.”

My 2c:

• I still think remote internet access is a fantastic thing. Im glad that Facebook (at least implies) the internet wouldn't be a locked down... but we'll see what actually happens.
  • The thought of unmanned drones randomly falling out of the sky still scares me.

vrg_1143_graphic_03_sized_fin.0.jpg

But it's facebook and they do shady business practices.

And if you choose to live in an area with bad internet then you've only got yourself to blame.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

And if you choose to live in an area with bad internet then you've only got yourself to blame.

I wont disagree with the shady business bit.

re: your second comment. If you were born/raised/live in a developing nation that has no internet, thats not necessarily your fault. The intent is to deliver these drones to those people.

28 minutes ago, SmittyShmee said:

• The thought of unmanned drones randomly falling out of the sky still scares me.

Falling from 9 x 10^4 feet would take quite a bit of time, a few minutes at least. They could be destroyed or righted in that time

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Not for this.

Anything with Facebook's name on it is Bad.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not everyone wants to live in a crowded city.  I'm not one of those people but I can understand that some people enjoy a more rural life.  There's no excuse for why they don't deserve decent internet at a fair price.  

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What?

If you were born in a poor country its not entirely your fault

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are many people that can't afford to move just because internet. I mean it's not like you can blame the ISP right? It's not like they don't want to provide better internet in some locations. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.