Linus is wrong - again

Linus' latest video - for those of you registered with Vessel - https://www.vessel.com/videos/ZEff8J6Dm?tab=comments

Linus exclaims- "I can't believe no one has thought about this before" - in reference to the HTC 10 combining the earpiece with a front facing speaker.

The Google Nexus 6 did this, and also provided an identical speaker at the opposite end of the phone to provide true stereo.  This phone was released November 2014 and IMO a greatly underestimated phone, probably due to its large size.

Needed that off my chest.

Well you can't expect someone to know everything about everything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Good for you.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Just now, TetraSky said:

Well you can't expect someone to know everything about everything.

I don't.

I expect a professional to know his subject though.

Bear in mind, some of us pay for his service.

You actually made an account just for that? wow....

Oh and what does "combining the earpiece with a front facing Speaker" actually mean?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

You actually made an account just for that? wow....

Oh and what does "combining the earpiece with a front facing Speaker" actually mean?

It means exactly that....

Just now, nexus6 said:

I don't.

Wait, you think Linus is a professional? I am so, so sorry...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Lol.

Well he certainly has a lot of influence in the tech world.  More so than most tech individuals.

My main point was to put across that I think the nexus 6 was an under appreciated phone.  It basically went unnoticed by LTT yet still maintains top end specs nearly 2 years later.  

6 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

Linus' latest video - for those of you registered with Vessel - https://www.vessel.com/videos/ZEff8J6Dm?tab=comments

Linus exclaims- "I can't believe no one has thought about this before" - in reference to the HTC 10 combining the earpiece with a front facing speaker.

The Google Nexus 6 did this, and also provided an identical speaker at the opposite end of the phone to provide true stereo.  This phone was released November 2014 and IMO a greatly underestimated phone, probably due to its large size.

Needed that off my chest.

Also the whole moto line up

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

Also the whole moto line up

Ah yes, the Nexus 6 was a Motorola product so this makes sense.  This adds substance to my point, a pretty major point to miss out on!

I do agree with him that it is an exceptional solution and provides pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to phone audio.  It annoys me he offers HTC the crown!

He's pretty damn knowledgeable about a lot of other stuff in tech world. He has to slip up somewhere.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

He's pretty damn knowledgeable about a lot of other stuff in tech world. He has to slip up somewhere.

Meh, he's a fairly meticulous person.  Also as pointed out by DeezNoNos, it wasn't just the Nexus 6, but the entire Moto line up - a pretty substantial brand which LTT has covered.

13 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

I don't.

Some mistakes do occur on occasion. Linus is human just like everyone.

Pointing out the mistake is OK but making a new posting just to point that out, is in the community not really accepted. 

Linus has a section here specific set aside for these remarks were you can point out mistakes and provide corrections to his videos.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/17-ltt-official/ 

Linus' video's are posted here so the community can comment and provide any feedback.

12 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

My thoughts...yeah.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, nexus6 said:

Meh, he's a fairly meticulous person.  Also as pointed out by DeezNoNos, it wasn't just the Nexus 6, but the entire Moto line up - a pretty substantial brand which LTT has covered.

Yes, LTT did cover it - a fair while ago though. When you take into account the sheer amount of stuff he's covered since then, and the amount of stuff they've done, it's not unreasonable at all that he forgot.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Some mistakes do occur on occasion. Linus is human just like everyone.

Pointing out the mistake is OK but making a new posting just to point that out, is in the community not really accepted. 

Linus has a section here specific set aside for these remarks were you can point out mistakes and provide corrections to his videos.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/17-ltt-official/ 

Linus' video's are posted here so the community can comment and provide any feedback.

My thoughts...yeah.

Not sure why this is being interpreted as a personal attack on Linus.  It's an objective point and nothing more.  It promotes HTC in an unreasonable way IMO.

Thank you for making me aware of the area in which these can be addressed.  

For the record I would consider Linus a professional YouTuber (considering, you know, it is his profession...) dealing predominantly in tech.  Not sure why anyone else wouldn't.

3 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Yes, LTT did cover it - a fair while ago though. When you take into account the sheer amount of stuff he's covered since then, and the amount of stuff they've done, it's not unreasonable at all that he forgot.

Maybe I'm just majorly bias as I've been experiencing this form of audio integration for nearly two years, and it is an awesome idea.  Works wonderfully.

24 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

I don't get it?

Do the earphones have Speakers integrated?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

I don't get it?

Do the earphones have Speakers integrated?

No, so the piece on which you place your ear to listen to a phone call doubles as a loudspeaker.

4 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

Not sure why this is being interpreted as a personal attack on Linus.  It's an objective point and nothing more.  It promotes HTC in an unreasonable way IMO.

Thank you for making me aware of the area in which these can be addressed.  

For the record I would consider Linus a professional YouTuber (considering, you know, it is his profession...) dealing predominantly in tech.  Not sure why anyone else wouldn't.

The interpretation comes from your wording of the title you used and in your original post.

My reply was not in regards to that interpretation but in general to give you direction were you should leave your input should you chose to do so. I do warn that with the common age group in this forum it is easy to receive such an interpretation and like wise replies.

Before I forget;

Welcome to the Forum :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The interpretation comes from your wording of the title you used and in your original post.

My reply was not in regards to that interpretation but in general to give you direction were you should leave your input should you chose to do so. I do warn that with the common age group in this forum it is easy to receive such an interpretation and like wise replies.

Before I forget;

Welcome to the Forum :) 

Ah - yes I take your point on the title - I would change it if I could.  It was more to point out that - yes, I did make an account to point out this discrepancy, but had noticed quite a few in the past, so figured why not become a member and share accurate information.

I believe, though, that the wording of my OP was leaning towards pointing out the benefits of Google's (Motorola's!) earlier product(s), but I can understand this is subjective and when read after the title not surprising it was potentially interpreted this way.

Anyway I do thank you for pointing me in the correct direction as I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise, and for the welcome.  I also love LTT's videos.  (Oh, and also, earpiece and front loudspeaker integration was thought of years ago :P)

42 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

There is a better way to say that he was wrong without insulting his work. Anyone who knows Linus knows that he takes his job and fans very seriously. Mistakes happen, even in professional environments.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

53 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

The Google Nexus 6 did this, and also provided an identical speaker at the opposite end of the phone to provide true stereo.

To my knowledge, the Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact do so as well, as does possibly the Z5 lineup.

- Greetz! -

Don't be irritated by the grumpy look

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming

56 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

I think that's your first mistake. Supporting Vessel.

2 hours ago, Remixt said:

There is a better way to say that he was wrong without insulting his work. Anyone who knows Linus knows that he takes his job and fans very seriously. Mistakes happen, even in professional environments.

Please point out at which point I insulted his work.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, othertomperson said:

I think that's your first mistake. Supporting Vessel.

I'm actually supporting LTT, they get a considerable cut.  This was LTT's motivation to provide 7 day exclusive videos to Vessel subscribers, as shared with their viewers candidly multiple times.  I think it is worth the small amount of money.

2 hours ago, der_Hendrikos said:

To my knowledge, the Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact do so as well, as does possibly the Z5 lineup.

Interesting, thanks.  So both Sony and Motorola thought of this before HTC.