Linus is wrong - again

1 hour ago, nexus6 said:

I don't.

I expect a professional to know his subject though.

Bear in mind, some of us pay for his service.

Then dont use vessel. I got the irst year for free and I still never used it. Screw payed platforms.

4 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

Please point out at which point I insulted his work.  Thanks.

Your original post lacks tact and feels like you feel that Linus doesn't care about his content. It's the context of the post, and your willingness to make an account for such a silly single mistake. 

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Just now, Remixt said:

Your original post lacks tact and feels like you feel that Linus doesn't care about his content. It's the context of the post, and your willingness to make an account for such a silly single mistake. 

I'm not sure my original post lacks tact at all, in fact it's incredibly objective.  If you think otherwise I'm all ears, please quote the "tactless" comments.

On top of this, if you had actually read through the thread, you would be aware that this was not the first time I had noticed a discrepancy in one of LTT's videos, but happened to be the point at which i DID register an account to provide accurate information.

Acutally the original HTC One (M7) in 2013 was the first phone to do this. And they had it in true stereo as well as larger drivers. They continued this through the 2014 model, One (M8), the 2015 model, One (M9), and then they went backwards with the 2016 HTC 10 two having two speakers but producing quieter monaural sound. I loved the sound of my M8 and I have heard the N6 and I think the M8 had better quality sound but the N6 was definitely louder. Watching videos/movies on my M8 was amazing. Like watching TV because the sound was so big it made up for the screen size. Now owning the 10 it still sounds good but not quite the same. And with the bottom firing "woofer" it always gets covered up by my finger and gets muted....

2 hours ago, ninninon said:

This is how most threads on LTT end up. It's like watching two 10 year olds with nothing better to do argue. 

I'm trying to maintain topic by quoting people who are providing information on the technology, too.  Actually what's funny is you fail to recognise the irony surrounding your comment, you provide no insight into the topic, but only into the argumentative nature of some individuals.

2 hours ago, sarj333 said:

Acutally the original HTC One (M7) in 2013 was the first phone to do this. And they had it in true stereo as well as larger drivers. They continued this through the 2014 model, One (M8), the 2015 model, One (M9), and then they went backwards with the 2016 HTC 10 two having two speakers but producing quieter monaural sound. I loved the sound of my M8 and I have heard the N6 and I think the M8 had better quality sound but the N6 was definitely louder. 

No, if you look closely at the speakers (I'm referring to the M8 here) there is a separate port specifically for the earpiece.

EDIT

I've just checked, this was the same with the M7.  Not sure on the M9 though.

2ND EDIT

If you check an image of the M9 you'll also notice a separate port for the earpiece.  I.E. separate from the loudspeaker.

7 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

No, if you look closely at the speakers (I'm referring to the M8 here) there is a separate port specifically for the earpiece.

EDIT

I've just checked, this was the same with the M7.  Not sure on the M9 though.

How do you mean?

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/yKWHFkdWn2iUTbJe.huge

(^^^photo from iFixit teardown of M8^^^)

2 hours ago, ninninon said:

Trust me. I've been here long enough to know what happens. This thread will be locked soon most likely, if it keeps going this way. "Argumentative nature of some individuals" is including you, sorry to say. You're doing it right now. Been in enough of these silly threads to know it's not worth wasting my time. Have fun and good luck. 

Bye

@sarj333

Sorry editing as I posted thinking it was the M9.

In this image you can see a port to the left of the camera.  In the iFixit teardown this is represented by the silver gauze - which is the earpiece for phone calls.  Not the speaker.

*Or the very small hole in the teardown, although it is most likely a microphone for noise cancelling I would guess.main-1-mobile.jpg

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Linus is human just like everyone.

yeah, right

Just now, Illumination said:

yeah, right

???isnt he????

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, Illumination said:

no

no????????????????

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

8 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

Sorry editing as I posted thinking it was the M9.

in this image you can see a port to the left of the camera.  In the iFixit teardown this is represented by the silver gauze - which is the earpiece for phone calls.  Not the speaker.

*Or the very small hole in the teardown, although it is most likely a microphone for noise cancelling I would guess.main-1-mobile.jpg

Ah no, the port in your photo is where the proximity sensor and ambient light sensors are housed. As for the silver guaze area in the teardown I'm not sure what that is but I know its not the earpiece as I've owned the phone and I know from experience it's not located there....

19 minutes ago, Illumination said:

yeah, right

18 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

???isnt he????

18 minutes ago, Illumination said:

no

17 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

no????????????????

Its the sandals and socks, para-human. Lol... :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Lol @ this thread.

I have to agree that Linus doesn't make the best of phone reviews, but in the end those are not the reason we watch him. The rest of his content is still pretty top notch.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The Z3 Compact definitely does this as well - I know from dismantling it a few times to replace the failed adhesive which holds the phone together.

It isn't exactly a groundbreaking feat. I'm sure I have used other phones where the ear piece has also been the loudspeaker, it was just not a smart phone where you would also be playing videos and using it as the audio reproduction device. A good idea, yes, but it isn't a huge deal breaker, beyond there only being one hole or grill for audio to be emitted from.

9 minutes ago, sarj333 said:

Ah no, the port in your photo is where the proximity sensor and ambient light sensors are housed. As for the silver guaze area in the teardown I'm not sure what that is but I know its not the earpiece as I've owned the phone and I know from experience it's not located there....

Ah the sensors make sense.

Still not convinced the gauze area isn't an earpiece speaker.  Or indeed the small hole, which is close enough proximity and also ustilises the same speaker grill.

1 hour ago, nexus6 said:

Please point out at which point I insulted his work.  Thanks.

By posting publicly and saying things like "needed that off my chest" as though it aggravated you and the title "is wrong - again" - it enforces a tone of elitism which other contributors of the forum are sensitive to. It is better to submit feedback to the Admin team who would then be able to pass it on to them.

I wouldn't worry about it either way, different things offend different people. Linus won't be offended, I am sure. :)

For me, I have not had a phone with front facing speakers. TBH I never understood why they are on the back, seems counter productive to me IMO.

Then again I have a BT speaker and earphones so I just connect to either and move on...

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, cragger89 said:

Linus won't be offended, I am sure. :)

LOL yep he is a youtube video host/producer... I think he got past being offended by internet comments a looooooong time ago or we would not still be seeing videos:P

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

For me, I have not had a phone with front facing speakers. TBH I never understood why they are on the back, seems counter productive to me IMO.

Then again I have a BT speaker and earphones so I just connect to either and move on...

I think the original, (and still prevailing) idea is that drivers have to be round and to put a big round speaker in the front of a phone would look obnoxious. HTC, ZTE, Alcatel, SONY, and LG/Huawei (with the Nexii) have figured out that you can just make them longer and thinner and still get the same surface area. Kind of like those weirdo 4"x10" speakers that came in old S10 trucks... Apple and Samsung and a few other LG's (and various other OEM's) have figured out how to do that and put them in the bottom of the phone next to the charger port but I guess for design reasons (aesthetically) still don't want to put them on the front. For me, once I experienced how awesome it is to have the front facing style, I don't want to ever use another design again ^_^

1 minute ago, sarj333 said:

I think the original, (and still prevailing) idea is that drivers have to be round and to put a big round speaker in the front of a phone would look obnoxious. HTC, ZTE, Alcatel, SONY, and LG/Huawei (with the Nexii) have figured out that you can just make them longer and thinner and still get the same surface area. Kind of like those weirdo 4"x10" speakers that came in old S10 trucks... Apple and Samsung and a few other LG's (and various other OEM's) have figured out how to do that and put them in the bottom of the phone next to the charger port but I guess for design reasons (aesthetically) still don't want to put them on the front. For me, once I experienced how awesome it is to have the front facing style, I don't want to ever use another design again ^_^

I am a function over form kind of guy. Aesthetics can take a back seat for the most part. I am sure the speaker on the front would be nice. I have been a Nokia user for awhile now. I did have an HTC7 and a HTC Radar but both had the speaker on the back. I make do I guess since am also a make it work kind of guy as well.

;) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am a function over form kind of guy. Aesthetics can take a back seat for the most part. I am sure the speaker on the front would be nice. I have been a Nokia user for awhile now. I did have an HTC7 and a HTC Radar but both had the speaker on the back. I make do I guess since am also a make it work kind of guy as well.

;) 

I remember having a Nexus 4 with a single rear facing speaker.  Nightmare, the automatic "cup" position you put your hand in to actually make it audible is completely unnecessary.  Updating to stereo front facing speakers was akin to the difference between a 20" TV and the cinema.

4 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Also the whole moto line up

Check out the new moto Z.

That phone looks really awesome! 

Also the mods are beautifully crafted, easy to use and some of it can extend your battery life. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Well Linus is a professional, anyone who gets paid for what they are doing is a professional.  Doesn't mean they're any good at it though!

Linus is better than most and his honesty and transparency makes Linus Media Group my only tech channel on YouTube.

100% op is linus bored at work while luke makes videos.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´