Extreme Overclockers achieve 1.6GHz OC (LN) on the RX 480

M4st4M1nd

Although the title of the video says 1.7GHz that's not actually true. He does however acheive 1.6GHz OC with Liquid Nitrogen cooling and some pretty impressive benchmark scores if you ask me. He's also included a link to the custom BIOS he used to get 1.4v on the GPU. DO NOT USE that BIOS unless you have really good cooling whatever you do.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

1 minute ago, marldorthegreat said:

That's not related at all. 

It shows how the architectures improved enough to reduce the power consumption whilst boosting the clocks and keeping the power.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

So what does the end result compare to? Am curious.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So the title says 1.6 GHz, and the name of the video states 1.7 GHz. You might wanna fix that up.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I was more impressed by actual power draw then achieved clocks ~200w not that bad, I was expecting it get close to 300w

16 minutes ago, ShiftyFella said:

I was more impressed by actual power draw then achieved clocks ~200w not that bad, I was expecting it get close to 300w

Actually it was 300 W for the videocard. 208 w was only the GPU itself without other components.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

For reference: 
index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=230

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

50 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So the title says 1.6 GHz, and the name of the video states 1.7 GHz. You might wanna fix that up.

so you failed to...

A. read the first sentence of the op

B. watch the video

Before commenting?  

3 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

For reference: 
Graph

wow so faster then a 1070.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

wow so faster then a 1070.

I would say its even faster because of AMD's driver overhead with DX11. If we can get 1450 mhz on AIB cards things well get interesting.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

So I guess the RX 480 can hit 1.6GHz after all...

lmao, wccftech.

2 hours ago, Daring said:

So I guess the RX 480 can hit 1.6GHz after all...

lmao, wccftech.

I assume 1500 will be the absolute max for air and water cooled RX 480s. That would be interesting to see.

6 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

And 1.45V on air gets me to 1180~ on my 290 before it's starts throttling the VRMs if you want a reference point.

Wut? How you pump 1.45V when Afterburner limit is +100mV*, TriXX limit is +200mV and the hard limit for the card itself is 1.4V?

4 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

I would say its even faster because of AMD's driver overhead with DX11. If we can get 1450 mhz on AIB cards things well get interesting.

Nah, AMD overhead in Firestrike is pretty minimal.

51 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

I assume 1500 will be the absolute max for air and water cooled RX 480s. That would be interesting to see.

That gonna need a really beefy cooler because the card need a lot of voltage at 1.5Ghz and it consume around 250+ watts. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Wut? How you pump 1.45V when Afterburner limit is +100mV*, TriXX limit is +200mV and the hard limit for the card itself is 1.4V?

Nah, AMD overhead in Firestrike is pretty minimal.

That gonna need a really beefy cooler because the card need a lot of voltage at 1.5Ghz and it consume around 250+ watts. 

You can circumvent voltage limitations either with custom BIOS or physical mods to the card.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

You can circumvent voltage limitations either with custom BIOS or physical mods to the card.

I know but 1.45V is what people use to reach 1.3Ghz-1.4Ghz with 290 and definitely not on air.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 hours ago, Camisto said:

so you failed to...

A. read the first sentence of the op

B. watch the video

Before commenting?  

I watched it few hours ago since I've seen it earlier. He says that he was able to hit 1700 and was able to run 2D tests but that it was not stable enough for 3D, (he even mentions that he did it before he got LN2 bios). I'm no extreme overclocker but that should qualify as 1.7 GHz OC in the end. I'm sure Lays or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

-snips-

Made my own BIOS + HIS iTurbo does +400mV

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Made my own BIOS + HIS iTurbo does +400mV

Fuckin awesome. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

And I'm sitting here with my GPU auto boosting to 1875 with a crap blower cooler

Reveal hidden contents

Famous-characters-Troll-face-45719.png

Wouldn't it throttle back?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Wouldn't it throttle back?

It doesn't: stays at 1875hz and 78c constantly on Witcher 3

-------

Current Rig

-------