Is AT&T trying to swindle me?

MattTheMayor

Haven't been here for a minute so please excuse me if I posted in the wrong section.

Our plan with Cox has increased in price to where we will pay around 120 (if I heard right) if we add in cable. We currently have around 15 down and 2 up. We found this deal with AT&T and DirecTV where we pay 89 a month and we get cable, homephone, and internet. We hesitantly called them up and made an appointment for Tuesday. After that, I coincidentally read the fine lines on the paper. It was 6mbps Uverse internet. Since internet is basically an essential in our house, we didn't want to downgrade our internet. We went to the store because their customer service wasn't available. They said that their plan would be faster than our plan internet wise because they say they use "fiber optic" and cox uses copper lining. I was confused because I am thinking 15 mbps is still 15mbps and 6 mbps is still 6mbps no matter what. We said we will look into it and get back to them. Are they trying to swindle us?

No way that they use fiber optics for 6mbps. Just another case of a uneducated employee on commission trying to up sell you.

3 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

No way that they use fiber optics for 6mbps. Just another case of a uneducated employee on commission trying to up sell you.

You can have a bandwidth limit of 6mpbs over fiber..

Well theoretically fiber is faster but it doesn't seem right at 6mbps, price wise i could  not say as my isp's 100mbps x100mbps is $54.95, but it would seem unprofitable for at&t to trench fiber for 6mbps...

Bits are bits, it doesn't matter if they are transferred over land, sea, or air. Trying to tell you 6Mbps is faster than 15Mbps because of the medium in between is someone who is either stoned out of their mind trying to act cool or someone so stupid they should be launched off this planet before their stupid spreads.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Bits are bits, it doesn't matter if they are transferred over land, sea, or air. Trying to tell you 6Mbps is faster than 15Mbps because of the medium in between is someone who is either stoned out of their mind trying to act cool or someone so stupid they should be launched off this planet before their stupid spreads.

technically the data will travel faster, :), 15 mbps vs 6 mbps is technically MORE data, 

1 hour ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

No way that they use fiber optics for 6mbps.

What makes you say that?

15mbps > 6mbps. Fiber is more consistent, sure. But a consistent 6 is still less than a flaky 12-15.

3 hours ago, MattTheMayor said:

Haven't been here for a minute so please excuse me if I posted in the wrong section.

Our plan with Cox has increased in price to where we will pay around 120 (if I heard right) if we add in cable. We currently have around 15 down and 2 up. We found this deal with AT&T and DirecTV where we pay 89 a month and we get cable, homephone, and internet. We hesitantly called them up and made an appointment for Tuesday. After that, I coincidentally read the fine lines on the paper. It was 6mbps Uverse internet. Since internet is basically an essential in our house, we didn't want to downgrade our internet. We went to the store because their customer service wasn't available. They said that their plan would be faster than our plan internet wise because they say they use "fiber optic" and cox uses copper lining. I was confused because I am thinking 15 mbps is still 15mbps and 6 mbps is still 6mbps no matter what. We said we will look into it and get back to them. Are they trying to swindle us?

ATT Uverse if Fiber to the node. From the node to you is shitty rotting phone lines. ATT reps lie, because none of them know what the fuck Fiber to the home is. I would not touch ATT with a 30 foot pole. Im glade they are not available in our area. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have uverse. The only thing they advertise that's truly true, is their reliability. The only outages I've had were the during ddos attacks.

When they say "fiber", it's not really fiber. It's probably fiber to the node, but then it's some shitty DSL cable from the node to your house.

Try telling your current isp that you're fed up with their prices and that you're going to leave to att because they offered you a better deal, and you can probably negotiate a better price. I personally would stay with your current isp if you can spend the extra money. 

On 7/10/2016 at 9:25 PM, MattTheMayor said:

-snip-

You need to ask them directly how much bandwidth will you get. If they give you a number that is at least twice as large than what you have now, then it's a good deal. If you decide to "upgrade" (read move to AT&T) make sure the internet speed you are offered is specified in the contract.

OH some one forgot to mention. ATT has caps. Caps are now being enforced on normal DSL and Uverese from what I understand. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I had uverse. It came into my house on the same copper that my cox comes into. Literally they unhooked one and hooked theirs in. It was horrible service. It would be okay during the day but starting at about 5:30-6:00 it would start slowing down and the TV would cut in and out as more people came home and started using the service.