Would you go SLI/CFX if you had the money?

AppleWhizzer

Would you go SLI/CFX if you had the money?   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go SLI/CFX if you had the money?

• Yes
    • no

Answer the poll guys! I'm just intersted in how many people say yes vs no. Also elaborate below as to why you would or wouldn't!

4 minutes ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Answer the poll guys! I'm just intersted in how many people say yes vs no. Also elaborate below as to why you would or wouldn't!

Would not. Currently I have a 970. If I was given 300$ to buy another, I would sell my first one for ~120 then buy a 1070. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

7 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Would not. Currently I have a 970. If I was given 300$ to buy another, I would sell my first one for ~120 then buy a 1070. 

Very true. I was going to go SLI with my 770 before she died. I will probably go sli/cfx with 2 cheap cards (hd6950's) just to test it out and see if it actually works. Plus i think it looks sick!

9 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Only for flagships 

This.  The only time to use multi gpu currently is when you have 2 of the best ones available.   Another semi reasonable reason is to set one to physx processing if you play a lot of a game that supports it.  Otherwise sell the lower one and buy a better single card solution.
This may change if DX12 multi gpu support scales well and is seamlessly integrated.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Considering the price of a single GTX 970, yes. Although i would need to get one of the shorter cards as my current case barely fits my GTX 970 G1 Gaming with the HDD cage installed (had to remove the backplate-no much of a loss as I can add heatsinks to the rear vRAM).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

37 minutes ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Two words, Mini itx

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I voted no.  I'd rather have a single good card that can do what I want it to do.

Also I like leaving room for other expansion cards, board & case permitting.   For example I might want to later add a couple PCI-E SSDs, a RAID card or 2, USB 3.1 C expansion, video capture (for converting vhs / 8mm / film to digital), etc.

I usually like to keep my motherboards a while, like 6-8 years or so. :)  Also once I have a discrete GPU, I'd hang onto it a while.  For example, if I had a 9600 GSO or something that generation around $200-250 I'd definitely upgrade to a GTX 1060.  A GTX 260, I'd be on the fence, and I'd probably keep a GTX 460 if I had it now.

Nope, ran crossfire and it was a horrible experience. Constantly fighting heat issues and never found a benefit outside synthetic benchmarks. Screw that. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, catzambia said:

no, iirc you just need to get some stupid key from nvidia.

Yeah i read that as well haha enthusiast key or some sh*t

1 hour ago, catzambia said:

Nvidia removed that restriction, last I read.

As to the OP, if I had the money, I would SLI if I was 2K or 4K gaming, and if a single GTX 1080 wasn't delivering high frames in my games. I wouldn't multi-GPU just to have 2 cards in my system, if they weren't delivering any additional benefit.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

After running 2x GTX 780s for a while, I would wholeheartedly say no (unless you have top-tier an still need more performance). The amount of little annoyance and quirks you occur when running SLI make it worth paying the extra price for a more powerful card. 

Just to list some of the things that annoy me:

* Random screen flicker on multi-monitor unless "Prefer Maximum Performance" is forced in the NVCP

* SLI not working in borderless window / windowed modes

* Having to use Nvidia Inspector for force comparability bits for games that don't support SLI out of the box

* Micro-stutter in games that have crap SLI profiles

* Having to wait for driver updates for SLI profiles

* Games which just flat out don't work with SLI

* Poor scaling

* Extra heat from 2 gpus

I'm honestly looking forward to my 1080 arriving so I can ditch SLI.

11 hours ago, catzambia said:

I heard that they ended up canceling that?

I have plans on getting a pair of GTX 1080s for SLI for my rig upgrades.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

17 hours ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Not worth all the trouble

I sli and cf all the things.  2 cards look cooler than 1 card. 3 cards is nice and 4 cards is insane :D I wish they would let you do 8 way with quad dual gpu cards.  I would be all up for 760 Mars 8 way sli and 295x2 8 way cf. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I suppose if I hit the powerball I'd buy 3 1080s, but otherwise? Not a chance. GamersNexus just published CF 480 benchmarks where they showed negative scaling in games that make heavy use of postprocessing effects so that frames are dependent on each other. 

I would never Use Sli/crossfire.

Always better to buy one single card for optimal experiance..Also I love Mini-ITX.

Ive ran sli for ever series since the 5xx's. Sometimes twice in the same series. Only issue ive ever had is the cpu once while in bf4, had to raise the multiplier. Also with the new cod, BO3. Doesn't support sli what so ever. If the 1080 series can do ultra wide or triple screen with a single card with high/ultra setting and maintain 120 fps min., Ill use just one. Depends on the release of the ti's if any or the kingpin/classified versions.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

At the moment no, game support is sketchy and not always available at launch.

If something changes with DX12/Vulcan so that can be more widely supported, without the annoying issues than can come with multi-GPU setups, yeah I'd give it another go. As long as I hadn't switched to M-ITX by then.