Samsung Rolls Out New 4TB 850 EVO

It's me!

if only this were a bit cheaper, I would buy two. the performance seems really good, I wonder when they will officially release it?

Adorama lists the 4 TB Evo as utilizing 3D TLC (3 bit) V-NAND and boasting a top speed of 98,000/90,000 4K random read/write IOPS and up to 540/520 MBps of sequential read/write throughput. The performance specs are hardly groundbreaking and really just serve to illustrate how much the SATA 6 Gbps connection is limiting the current crop of SATA SSDs. Samsung also noted that it's optimized for client use, and listed the QD1 performance at 10,000/40,000 4k random read/write IOPS. This is a useful specification because the low queue depths is where the majority of consumer workloads reside.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-850-evo-4tb-ssd,32220.html02_w_450.jpghttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-850-evo-4tb-ssd,32220.html

SSD = Solid State Drive

SSD = Super Speed Drive :P

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

buy it for the low low price of $1,000,000

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

And now I feel like a pleb with my 250GB 850 EVO :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Ive got 2 1Tb 850 evos and a 500gb 850 evo. 

The 500gb is a 3d v nand drive. 

I dont need no 4tb ssd. Ive got 2.5 tb of ssd, ill stick with what I got. 

I know its probably close to 1600bucks.

The 2tb is almost 800.

great . Now we just need MUCH lower cost per GB !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Seireitou said:

-snip-

42 years later... 

You still alive?

Groomlake Authority

54 minutes ago, themaniac said:

buy it for the low low price of $1,000,000

I can give you a small loan of a million dollars. 

Sad to see it being bottlenecked by SATA3.

Oh, I need this for mass storage.  Already using an 850 Evo 1TB and 950 Pro 512gb.  Now I just need this to complete the set *_*  

31 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

great . Now we just need MUCH lower cost per GB !

We're already at 19 cents a GB at (iirc) 45nm lithography. When we go back down to 32, it'll drop again. And Samsung is already making 16TB SSDs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

53 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I can give you a small loan of a million dollars. 

Sad to see it being bottlenecked by SATA3.

Why would sata 3 bottleneck it?. Shouldn't that be plenty fast for the ssd to run at full speed?

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

We're already at 19 cents a GB at (iirc) 45nm lithography. When we go back down to 32, it'll drop again. And Samsung is already making 16TB SSDs.

How can they be making 16TB SSDs when they just announced, announced not even released for sale, a 4TB SSD?

Awesome ! We need more super high capacity SSDs so low capacity ones go down in price a bit more !

Once 500GB SSDs from Samsung are listed for under $100 im joining the club :) until then I gotta wait for Black Fridays.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I remember Mushkin was planning to release their 4TB SSD for around $1000 in Q2 of this year. Wonder what happened there...

Still, it's worth remembering that their SSD was gonna be closer to 10k IOPS in random read/write performance. Can't have it fast and cheap, I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How can they be making 16TB SSDs when they just announced, announced not even released for sale, a 4TB SSD?

Simple: enterprise http://gizmodo.com/samsungs-16tb-ssd-is-now-an-actual-thing-people-can-buy-1762536707

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

33 minutes ago, Thony said:

Awesome ! We need more super high capacity SSDs so low capacity ones go down in price a bit more !

Once 500GB SSDs from Samsung are listed for under $100 im joining the club :) until then I gotta wait for Black Fridays.

Just get one now you won't regret it.  Even if you just get maybe a 250GB for your OS drive you'll go nuts over how much faster your computer will boot up and be ready to use.

My desktop has a 250GB Samsung 850 PRO and it's on the desktop ready to go in 30 seconds tops.  It's so nice.  ?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why would sata 3 bottleneck it?. Shouldn't that be plenty fast for the ssd to run at full speed?

Why do you think pretty much all recent SATA3 SSDs pretty much all run at 520-550 MB/s sequential speeds? Isn't that a bit suspect that regardless of controller, NAND memory etc. that they all hit the same speed? It's because the SATA3 interface tops out there. 

Of course, random speed is just as important or probably a lot more important. NVMe will not only increase the bandwidth, it will also reduce latencies and more. So that's why I want to see SATA3 drives to go away even though they're more widely compatible especially older systems that don't support newer standards.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Why do you think pretty much all recent SATA3 SSDs pretty much all run at 520-550 MB/s sequential speeds? Isn't that a bit suspect that regardless of controller, NAND memory etc. that they all hit the same speed? It's because the SATA3 interface tops out there. 

Of course, random speed is just as important or probably a lot more important. NVMe will not only increase the bandwidth, it will also reduce latencies and more. So that's why I want to see SATA3 drives to go away even though they're more widely compatible especially older systems that don't support newer standards.

No that's wrong.  I just looked it up and SATA 3 has a limit above what you're stating.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

Sata 3 tops out slightly higher than even 550.  So no sata 3 is not bottlenecking a sata 3 SSD.  They're rated for a bit higher than 500 MB/s presumably because that's the limit of the design with any differences being from various manufacturers using different components.  

I'd love ten of these for my NAS....$15k seems a bit steep however 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

sata 3 drives are not much of a bottleneck. moving to nvme ssds wont see much of a performance increase except in max sequential speeds. the added random read/write performance doesnt have much of a real world impact. i personally run a ramdisk with 1gb 4k speeds (by comparison my sata3 ssd runs 26mb 4k) and i barely see any faster speeds (maybe 30% or less). the real bottleneck is cpu speeds or file system limitations, not storage

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558