Samsung Rolls Out New 4TB 850 EVO

It's me!

Paging @LinusTech time to upgrade the servers. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

18 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

No that's wrong.  I just looked it up and SATA 3 has a limit above what you're stating.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

Sata 3 tops out slightly higher than even 550.  So no sata 3 is not bottlenecking a sata 3 SSD.  They're rated for a bit higher than 500 MB/s presumably because that's the limit of the design with any differences being from various manufacturers using different components.  

There are overheads to take into account etc. If you replaced the interface, it's fairly certain you'd see at least a slight increase in sequential speeds. I'm actually fairly certain there have been some drives that have been released as both SATA3 and NVMe where the NVMe is clearly faster.

15 minutes ago, DrM said:

sata 3 drives are not much of a bottleneck. moving to nvme ssds wont see much of a performance increase except in max sequential speeds. the added random read/write performance doesnt have much of a real world impact. i personally run a ramdisk with 1gb 4k speeds (by comparison my sata3 ssd runs 26mb 4k) and i barely see any faster speeds (maybe 30% or less). the real bottleneck is cpu speeds or file system limitations, not storage

Uh, you didn't read what I said at all. I didn't say a SATA3 drive would bottleneck your system. I said SATA3 bottlenecks your SSD. And whether the added speed has any impact on your use case is of no consequence. There is no reason to hold back the performance just because it's enough right now. The added bandwidth as well as reduced overhead and latencies will be worth it and would essentially mean you'd get more for your money assuming that NVMe drives had the same MSRP. Why would one not like that?

Edit: and just to make it a bit fun. Here's Anandtech's sequential read speed benchmarks:

Skærmbillede 2016-07-08 kl. 21.42.55.png

Doesn't it look a bit funny that they all run at around 520-540 then suddenly PCIE storage happens and we've all of a sudden doubled the sequential speeds? Why no 600, 700, 800 MB/s drives? Sure some probably exist, but fact is that SATA3 is a limiting factor whether we need higher speeds or not.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Uh, you didn't read what I said at all. I didn't say a SATA3 drive would bottleneck your system. I said SATA3 bottlenecks your SSD. And whether the added speed has any impact on your use case is of no consequence. There is no reason to hold back the performance just because it's enough right now. The added bandwidth as well as reduced overhead and latencies will be worth it and would essentially mean you'd get more for your money assuming that NVMe drives had the same MSRP. Why would one not like that?

sata3 does bottleneck ssds, but removing the bottleneck has virtually no impact on performance currently. im jsut saying that at this point, nvme is not worth the price premium. of course, that is the way the industry seems to be moving, but it take a while to phase out such a universal standard, and by the time nvme storage is the same msrp as sata3, it would easily have replaced it and cpus should be fast enough to see tangible benefits to nvme

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's really cool.  I didn't know they had SSDs anywhere near that large.  Too bad I'd have to sell my soul to afford it.  lol

It's only $7500

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's only $7500

I could build multiple high end rigs for that kind of money..  So much... lol

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I could build multiple high end rigs for that kind of money..  So much... lol

...I mean, my next planned build is $4500, but okay...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

11 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

...I mean, my next planned build is $4500, but okay...

Whether that's US or Australia dollars that seems a little excessive.  What do you plan to put in it that would cost so much?

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

We're already at 19 cents a GB at (iirc) 45nm lithography. When we go back down to 32, it'll drop again. And Samsung is already making 16TB SSDs.

I know , but I'm talking cheap enough to use as mass storage

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

46 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Whether that's US or Australia dollars that seems a little excessive.  What do you plan to put in it that would cost so much?

In-memory databases, programming with 2+ monitors, heterogeneous programming, and gaming. I'm going with a dual-E5-V2 setup, the Rx 490, water cooling, and 2 21:9 ultrawides.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Just get one now you won't regret it.  Even if you just get maybe a 250GB for your OS drive you'll go nuts over how much faster your computer will boot up and be ready to use.

My desktop has a 250GB Samsung 850 PRO and it's on the desktop ready to go in 30 seconds tops.  It's so nice.  ?

I have 120gb for OS and 250 for games :D

By "joinin in" i meant the higher capacity club not the ssd club :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

In-memory databases, programming with 2+ monitors, heterogeneous programming, and gaming. I'm going with a dual-E5-V2 setup, the Rx 490, water cooling, and 2 21:9 ultrawides.

Ah.  I see.  I assume the Xeon CPUs, suitable motherboard, monitors, and water cooling would require a lot of money.  

5 hours ago, themaniac said:

buy it for the low low price of $1,000,000

A small loan of $1,000,000.

I now feel really really poor.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

3 hours ago, Thony said:

Awesome ! We need more super high capacity SSDs so low capacity ones go down in price a bit more !

Once 500GB SSDs from Samsung are listed for under $100 im joining the club :) until then I gotta wait for Black Fridays.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Just get one now you won't regret it.  Even if you just get maybe a 250GB for your OS drive you'll go nuts over how much faster your computer will boot up and be ready to use.

My desktop has a 250GB Samsung 850 PRO and it's on the desktop ready to go in 30 seconds tops.  It's so nice.  ?

and i dont even feel the need to get an SSD as the OS(win10) on my system boots up in less then 10 seconds and theres no way i'm gonna get an SSD unless i can get a 1TB one for the my laptop

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

and i dont even feel the need to get an SSD as the OS(win10) on my system boots up in less then 10 seconds and theres no way i'm gonna get an SSD unless i can get a 1TB one for the my laptop

Laptops and PCs are different. I believe laptops dont shut down fully like PCs do thats why they can boot lot faster.

My PC boots within 15 seconds.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, Thony said:

Laptops and PCs are different. I believe laptops dont shut down fully like PCs do thats why they can boot lot faster.

My PC boots within 15 seconds.

but why that makes pretty much no sense since laptops run on batteries and are not connected to the wall all the time

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

32 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  I see.  I assume the Xeon CPUs, suitable motherboard, monitors, and water cooling would require a lot of money.  

Actually the monitors and the CPUs make up 60% of the budget.

59 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Actually the monitors and the CPUs make up 60% of the budget.

As long as you'll make good use of what you're paying for then I guess it's worth the money.  I was thinking about the tower only but if you're getting ultra high end parts and accessories like expensive monitors then the total cost makes more sense since it's for everything you'll need besides just the computer itself.

1 hour ago, themaniac said:

Sorry but there's no way it's possible for a HDD to boot up your laptop faster than a 850 PRO SSD can boot up my desktop.

Also, I'm talking about fully booted up and ready to use not just on the desktop but you can't do anything yet because it's still loading things.

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Sorry but there's no way it's possible for a HDD to boot up your laptop faster than a 850 PRO SSD can boot up my desktop.

Also, I'm talking about fully booted up and ready to use not just on the desktop but you can't do anything yet because it's still loading things.

sorry but mine does, boots up in less then 10 seconds and completely usable

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, themaniac said:

sorry but mine does, boots up in less then 10 seconds and completely usable

HDDs are much slower than SSDs that's physically impossible for it to work faster.

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

HDDs are much slower than SSDs that's physically impossible for it to work faster.

never said it worked faster just that it boots up the system in less then 10 seconds, just saying what i see, i think you need to take a step back and think about how its possible

Spoiler

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

never said it worked faster just that it boots up the system in less then 10 seconds, just saying what i see, i think you need to take a step back and think about how its possible

It's not.  And SSD working faster would load the OS faster.  I'm running Windows 10 too so it's not any potential difference from not the same OS.  

1 hour ago, themaniac said:

My desktop will boot up in 2 seconds. Saying thing without proof is always easy.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's not.  And SSD working faster would load the OS faster.  I'm running Windows 10 too so it's not any potential difference from not the same OS.  

but you're missing the key questions, how much does it have to load(not much), how many programs does it load at startup(very little), how old is the install(only a couple weeks old), those are the key questions you need to ask

1 minute ago, Deli said:

My desktop will boot up in 2 seconds. Saying thing without proof is always easy.

i could easily have said this with my old laptop which took a couple minutes to boot up, but i didn't because whats the point in claiming something thats not true

Spoiler