Russian crackers claim to have cracked Denuvo V3

Master Disaster

A step by step instructional video has surfaced in Russia showing users how to install and crack Rise Of The Tomb Raider some 6 months after its initial release, if this turns out to be true it will be the first time a Denuvo V3 protected game has been cracked and would mark a significant victory for the pirates as it would allow for many AAA titles from the last 18 months to finally get releases.

Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site] might finally be cracked six months after its release. A step-by-step video showing a cracked copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider surfaced in Russia last week. It raises the question of whether or not pirates will finally be able to defeat Denuvo’s DRM security – protection so tough that some crackers said they were giving up. The crack has yet to be replicated, though, and it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

Denuvo have released a statement saying they have yet to verify these claims but have always sold their product on being "hard to crack" and not "uncrackable".

Denuvo say they can’t verify if the crack is real as there are no available to test, but they don’t seem to be too stressed about the whole ordeal. The DRM company told Eurogamer “only public available cracks are relevant as they harm the content owners business.” In fact, they seem to be perfectly satisfied with Rise of the Tomb Raider’s protection.

“The general positioning of our product is ‘hard to crack’ and not ‘uncrackable’. For us it is important to secure the initial sales window of games, which worked out well on all the recent titles,” they confidently pointed out to PCGamesN.

Its very likely that if this turns out to be true Denvuo will simply release a new version as they did when V2 got cracked and the whole cat and mouse game will start again

It’s doubtful that this marks the end of Denuvo’s impressive record against PC gaming piracy. Where games were once cracked sometimes weeks before they were released, big titles like Just Cause 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition have gone months post-launch without a pirated version. Pirates will always be out there on the high seas of the interwebs doing their thing, but they’re still struggling with breaking down Denuvo’s defenses. It’s possible they could find a more efficient solution in the future, yet it’s likely Denuvo is preparing for that reality. The technology is designed to evolve alongside any new methods devised to break through the DRM.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/07/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-drm-allegedly-cracked/

It had to happen eventually tbh, V3 had an amazing run with a fairly long list of protected titles that still don't have any form of pirate "release", that list is...

Anno 2205 Ubisoft Blue Byte 2015-11-03 [24][25]
Star Wars Battlefront Electronic Arts EA DICE 2015-11-17 [26]
Just Cause 3 Square Enix Avalanche Studios 2015-12-01 [27]
Rise of the Tomb Raider Square Enix Crystal Dynamics 2016-01-28 [28]
Unravel Electronic Arts Coldwood Interactive 2016-02-09 [29]
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 Electronic Arts PopCap Games 2016-02-23 [30]
Far Cry Primal Ubisoft Ubisoft Montreal 2016-03-01 [31]
Hitman Square Enix IO Interactive 2016-03-11 [32]
Need for Speed Electronic Arts Ghost Games 2016-03-15 [33]
Eve: Gunjack CCP Games CCP Games 2016-03-28 [34]
ADR1FT 505 Games Three One Zero 2016-03-29 [35]
The Climb Crytek Crytek 2016-04-28 [36]
DOOM Bethesda Softworks id Software 2016-05-13 [37]
Homefront: The Revolution Deep Silver Dambuster Studios 2016-05-17 [38]
Total War: Warhammer SEGA Creative Assembly 2016-05-24 [39]
Edge of Nowhere Insomniac Games Insomniac Games 2016-06-06 [40]
Mirror's Edge Catalyst Electronic Arts EA Digital Illusions CE 2016-06-07 [41]
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Bigben Interactive Frogwares 2016-06-10 [42]

Taken from Wikipedia

I guess its now just a waiting game to see if this turns out to be true or just another russian fake.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Back on topic they have not released anything so fake until then

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Aaaand back on topic,  this is good news for people like me who are skint as can be,  but I bet all the big companies already have the hounds ready to pounce.  

So this means, V3 is cracked and all games on it would have a pirated copy online. Then the patch V4 comes up and would block everything again. So only new games with V4 would be protected for another...18 months? Looks like DRM business is really good. I wonder if they give free updates to the publishers.

9 minutes ago, raphidy said:

So this means, V3 is cracked and all games on it would have a pirated copy online. Then the patch V4 comes up and would block everything again. So only new games with V4 would be protected for another...18 months? Looks like DRM business is really good. I wonder if they give free updates to the publishers.

Pretty much yeah, that's exactly what happened when V2 got cracked, Denuvo rolled out V3 and carried on selling it to everyone. There was a crossover period where a few games that came out after V3 still used V2 as they were obviously to far into development to change to V3 and there were a few games which got backported to V3 even after being cracked with the original V2.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

In soviet russia, denuvo cracks you.

I'll show myself out...

Anyway it would be nice tho, no i do not promote piracy but drm is complete BS and i absolutely hate it. Especially on older unknown titles it can be terrible especially on a newer OS and just completely bricks the OS, i'm looking at you securom.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

would be intresting to see sales figures of all these games after they get cracked......imagine what would happen if there was a sales boost!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

apparently refusing to release anything to see "denuvos reaction"  Which immediately triggered my Bullsh** meter.

Pretty sure the exploit requires you to purchase and refund the game to get a valid ticket, so no not cracked just a niche bypass. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

53 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hmm, piracy its still a thing?

I'm sorry I am founding it hard to care over the vision of these 210 games on my Steam account.

of whom 209 were from fraudulent G2A keys?

I removed Just Cause 3 beause it was running like shit despite having an i7-4770, GTX780 and 16GB RAM.

I wonder if Dendumbo has something to do with the performance but lesson learned,

I'll never ever buy a game with Dendumbo with it anymore.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

33 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Nah, not 1 of them. Between Steam, humble bundle and other legit stores it's easy enough to eventually find a really good price.

-------

Current Rig

-------

32 minutes ago, Prysin said:

if devs didn't sell their game codes to nvidia/amd at 50c/$ guys like G2A wouldn't be so profitable

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Cat and mouse game indeed. Nothing is unbreakable, though it can take time. Still, if so, quite interesting it has been done.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, dimitriianghelov said:

if devs didn't sell their game codes to nvidia/amd at 50c/$ guys like G2A wouldn't be so profitable

actually, thats not the main reason game kes get stolen.

"hackers" go onto the dark web and buys stolen credit cards.

They go buy a game on steam or directly from the developer with the stolen card.

Since its not THEIR money, they buy shitloads of these games on someone elses card.

Then they try to use "cash back" to cancel the purchases they made. As they now have the game code, it doesnt matter.

They then go to G2A, sell games at half price, collect money, then steal all the money on the credit card.

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Nah, not 1 of them. Between Steam, humble bundle and other legit stores it's easy enough to eventually find a really good price.

GoG and Green Man Gaming are my go to places. Just got Doom and Wolfenstein The New Order for ~36€. I wouldn't consider that a bad deal.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

5 hours ago, Prysin said:

actually, thats not the main reason game kes get stolen.

"hackers" go onto the dark web and buys stolen credit cards.

They go buy a game on steam or directly from the developer with the stolen card.

Since its not THEIR money, they buy shitloads of these games on someone elses card.

Then they try to use "cash back" to cancel the purchases they made. As they now have the game code, it doesnt matter.

They then go to G2A, sell games at half price, collect money, then steal all the money on the credit card.

nah i think it was some 4chan guy stealing credit cards and selling games on G2A (they can't even cash for 14 days)

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

23 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I removed Just Cause 3 beause it was running like shit despite having an i7-4770, GTX780 and 16GB RAM.

I wonder if Dendumbo has something to do with the performance but lesson learned,

I'll never ever buy a game with Dendumbo with it anymore.

There has yet to be any proven relationship between Denuvo and performance issues. Some speculation and some correlation with some titles, but never anything really valid. There are games with Denuvo that perform like shit and games with it that are just fine. Like every single game ever made it all comes down to the people working on it and if they can make a good PC version of a game.

Even if it's not true it's just a matter of time. DRM only hurts the paying customer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Look at that pretty list of games I will never play :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Even if it's not true it's just a matter of time. DRM only hurts the paying customer.

It seems to be hurting pirates a lot more. Most AAA games released since December are still uncracked.

finally, what took them so long?!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

Can we stop cracking games for now just to proof that sales do not go up, hopefully sooner rather then later so all game devs realize that even with the best protection against piracy, their sales won't increase, perhaps they will finally spend more time on making a great game instead, that is worth buying rather.

Actually no they need to protect their games. I know a bunch of guys who seriously can't buy a game, its against their education and they don't play cs go because they'd have to pay it 5€, when they have 2000€ laptops etc.

It's not a question of money, but a question of habit and philosophy. And frankly those people deserve not to play games if they don't want to pay for them, that's an important lesson which our societies need.