Ram @ 2133 and i7-4770

I do light gaming, but I figured if I ever get into anything CPU intensive I should get an i7 just in case. I am not sure what I will get into in the future.

I will look into the Xeon processor, please guys STOP complaining about this. This has no relevance to my original question, and honestly I not going to go out and buy a Xeon processor because 4 guys in a thread debated about it for a day......thanks for the suggestion I will look into it......

I have a follow up question just for curiosity though. 

Does anyone think that my AMD FX-4100 cpu was holding back my 660 ti? Will getting a i7 make a HUGE perceived frame difference (mostly modded skyrim enb,texures ext., right now)?

I looked at the benchmarks and stuff and the scores are like FAR above fx-4100 for even fx-8350 i5 and i7. I can't seem to find game benchmarks for fx-4100 that are reliable so I don't know. 

I do light gaming, but I figured if I ever get into anything CPU intensive I should get an i7 just in case. I am not sure what I will get into in the future.

I will look into the Xeon processor, please guys STOP complaining about this. This has no relevance to my original question, and honestly I not going to go out and buy a Xeon processor because 4 guys in a thread debated about it for a day......thanks for the suggestion I will look into it......

I have a follow up question just for curiosity though. 

Does anyone think that my AMD FX-4100 cpu was holding back my 660 ti? Will getting a i7 make a HUGE perceived frame difference (mostly modded skyrim enb,texures ext., right now)?

I looked at the benchmarks and stuff and the scores are like FAR above fx-4100 for even fx-8350 i5 and i7. I can't seem to find game benchmarks for fx-4100 that are reliable so I don't know. 

Yes, it's holding it back badly. Xeon e3-1230v3 will be better buy than i7-4770 cuz you do not need an iGPU and that's the only difference between i7-4770 and xeon e3-1230v3. Yes, you will see a HUGE frame difference once your CPU is gonna be so powerful. Especially Skyrim and other games that just run a lot better on Intel CPUs which have faster singlethread performance.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

i5-4670k. $240.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

i7-4770k. $340.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

I think you're officially retarded.

And if that's not the final nail in the coffin:

i7-4770 without iGPU. $255.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906

I think you are officialy ignorant.

And posting irrelevant benchmarks which are from old games that obviously are not multithreaded is proving against the point of so many AMD fanboys on this forums which praise future multithreaded games.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

And posting irrelevant benchmarks which are from old games that obviously are not multithreaded is proving against the point of so many AMD fanboys on this forums which praise future multithreaded games.

Nice find and I like how that chip is only 80w.

Nice find and I like how that chip is only 80w.

That's because it has no iGPU so the TDP is lower. And I posted this on the first response in this thread and then continued to argue over the fact it's just an i7 without iGPU...

So lets give him a server based CPU that can not overclock at all.

lololol. So it's $15 more than the 4670k, which is unlocked and overclocked. Which is the same performance of a 4770K in the case of games. Lets be real here. He's mostly gaming. Whatever he does in the future, won't require a workstation CPU or a server CPU, or even an i7.

The logic would be to get the best CPU for future use. By that, a quad core with an unlocked processor that can overclock.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

That's because it has no iGPU so the TDP is lower. And I posted this on the first response in this thread and then continued to argue over the fact it's just an i7 without iGPU...

iGPU is kinda pointless anyway on a PC that isn't a generic office machine. I keep mine disabled because if it's enabled, CPU-Z refuses to launch..

So lets give him a server based CPU that can not overclock at all.

lololol. So it's $15 more than the 4670k, which is unlocked and overclocked. Which is the same performance of a 4770K in the case of games. Lets be real here. He's mostly gaming. Whatever he does in the future, won't require a workstation CPU or a server CPU, or even an i7.

The logic would be to get the best CPU for future use. By that, a quad core with an unlocked processor that can overclock.

It's not a workstation CPU, so why do you say i want to give him workstation CPU? it's just an i7 without iGPU. X86 processor based on Haswell architecture with hyperthreading from Intel like any other i7.

I figured that I don't care for overclocking my CPU and that I won't need a i7-4770k. I am a light gamer but I love my eye candy effects and performance when I do.

He wants to get i7-4770 since he's not overclocking anyway, so I said he can save some money and get a cheaper i7 - Xeon e3-1230v3 - which doesnt have iGPU he would never use anyway. You say it's not a good idea to get i7 when he wants i7 because you can get overclockable i5 even tho he doesnt want to overclock. F--- logic!

It's not a workstation CPU, so why do you say i want to give him workstation CPU? it's just an i7 without iGPU. X86 processor based on Haswell architecture with hyperthreading from Intel like any other i7.

He wants to get i7-4770 since he's not overclocking anyway, so I said he can save some money and get a cheaper i7 - Xeon e3-1230v3 - which doesnt have iGPU he would never use anyway. You say it's not a good idea to get i7 when he wants i7 because you can get overclockable i5 even tho he doesnt want to overclock. F--- logic!

It's a server CPU. Even Newegg and Intel call it a server CPU. I said server.

He wants an i7-4770 for gaming. i5-4670K performs the same, can be overclocked, and is cheaper cheaper than the e3. So it's the best bet. Even if he doesn't overclock now, he can in the future. He won't be able to with the 4770 non-K.

You seriously can't be this daft.

I'm just being trolled now.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I found the discussion between the differences of Xeon E3-1230V3 and the i7-4770 interesting. So I decided rather than discusses it here I will make a new post so people can find it and discuss it better. This is what I will be putting in the new thread called "Xeon E3-1230V3 VS i7-4770(k)":

Somebody brought up in a post I made the differences between the Xeon E3-1230V3 and the i7-4770 (thread here). There was a claim that the Xeon E3-1230V3 is the same as the i7-4770 but without the graphics processor and cheaper. So I did some research and this is what I found on the official Intel website:

i7-4770:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/Intel-Core-i7-4770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?wapkw=i7-4770

Xeon E3-1230V3:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75054/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1230-v3-8M-Cache-3_30-GHz

The only differences when compared side by side are:

1.) There is no graphics section for Xeon E3-1230V3

2.) Section "Intel® Platform Protection Technology":

• i7-4770 has "Anti-Theft Technology" while Xeon E3-1230V3 doesn't even have the option.

3.) Section "Package Specifications":

• "TCASE" is a section for i7-4770 with a value of 72.72C while Xeon E3-1230V3 doesn't even have the section.
  • "Sockets Supported" the i7-4770 has 3 values that are exactly the same "FCLGA1150" while the Xeon E3-1230V3 has only 2 redundant values.

4.) Section "Expansion Options":

• "PCI Express Configurations" the values are the same besides i7-4770 has "up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8/2x4" while Xeon is just "1x16, 2x8, 1x8/2x4"

5.) Section "Memory Specifications":

• "ECC Memory Supported" the value for i7-4770 is "no" while Xeon E3-1230V3 has "Yes"

6.) Section "Essentials":

• "Processor Number" - (obviously)
  • "Clock Speed"- i7-4770 valued at 3.4 GHz while Xeon E3-1230V3 is valued at 3.3 GHz.
  • "Max Turbo Frequency" - i7-4770 valued at 3.9 GHz and the Xeon E3-1230V3 is valued at 3.7 GHz
  • "DMI" - i7-4770 does not have this option and the Xeon E3-1230V3 has a value of "5 GT/s"
  • "Max TDP" - i7-4770 has a value of "84 W" while Xeon E3-1230V3 has a value of "80 W"
  • "Recommended Customer Price":
    • i7-4770 - "BOX : $312.00
                     TRAY: $303.00"
    • Xeon E3-1230V3 - "BOX : $312.00
                                     TRAY: $303.00"
Ok so thoughts?

I've registered here only to post a single comment because what I saw here is so stupid it's not even funny anymore.

This is the same thing as GTX vs Quadro Gpu's. Yes they are the same chips, they are optimized for other things. Xeon's are not optimized for gaming, the mobo's are darn expensive. And damn I would trust someone that's running a gt9600 these days. Now let that guy get a 4670k, he will be ever happy. 

What the hell is this Sh*t, seriously? "Xeon's are not optimized for gaming" So i5 has "Gamingmode= 1" in it's config and Xeon has "Gamingmode= 0"??

1.You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Xeon 1230v3 is pretty much 4770 you just can't overclock it and it does not have integrated GPU.

2. Most 1150 motherboards support 1230v3. I'm using it with H87 Asrock PRO4 motherboard (which is only around $100). Absolutely no problems, it even supports full virtualization technology (though I never use it)

@Dravic Ask anyone on the forum. Why would you need a Xeon with that hardware. I would recommend a Xeon for heavy rendering,encoding and ray tracing. We should close this thread its getting out of hand. I'm sick of discussing something where Dravic doesn't know a shit about.

3. Xeon is actually slower than i7 in rendering because it's rated at 3.3 instead of 3.4, genius.

4. The only person here who doesn't know "shit about" is You.

@Dravic he has a 660 ti. Its not like he is running dual sli titans.

At first you said that Xeons are not optimized for games and now you say that he'd need dual titans to see the difference? Makes no sense at all.

I run 8 rack server from dell with the highest tier intel xeon's. I build pc's for ppl, I do know something about them. If you dont like the forum, leave.

I feel sorry for these people. You are not only ignoring good deals(1230v3 price is a bargain considering how much power it has), you also take information out of blue (Optimization thing, anyone?).

As for people who are considering getting 1230v3: before buying, check Supported CPU's list for your motherboard. While some of them do not support 1230v3, most do. You will certainly don't need an expensive server motherboad. Don't listen to these 'tards.

It's a server CPU. Even Newegg and Intel call it a server CPU. I said server.

He wants an i7-4770 for gaming. i5-4670K performs the same, can be overclocked, and is cheaper cheaper than the e3. So it's the best bet. Even if he doesn't overclock now, he can in the future. He won't be able to with the 4770 non-K.

You seriously can't be this daft.

I'm just being trolled now.

i5 vs i7 is pretty much the same thing as dual vs quad core in 2008. It didn't help much but people who had quad cores did not need to upgrade their computer for quite some time longer.

Also, i5k + Z motherboard + Fans + Increased power usage would cost more overall than 1230v3.

To me it makes sense to take only these CPU's: i5 3350p, Xeon 1230v3, i7 4770k.

What's the point of overclocking i5? You either do not need more power than you already have or an i7 is much faster anyway...You'd have to overclock i5 to 4.5Ghz to even compare with stock i7 in rendering/file compression and in games it matters little if it's 70 or 90fps. Maybe if you play with 3d glasses and need 120Fps, then maybe... But then again, new CPU's are so powerful that you need SLI/CrossFire to bottleneck them anyway. Considering how much few GPU's cost, it doesn't even make sense to save on CPU...

It is compatible, it should be able to reach 2133

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

What's the point of overclocking i5? You either do not need more power than you already have or an i7 is much faster anyway...You'd have to overclock i5 to 4.5Ghz to even compare with stock i7 in rendering/file compression and in games it matters little if it's 70 or 90fps. Maybe if you play with 3d glasses and need 120Fps, then maybe... But then again, new CPU's are so powerful that you need SLI/CrossFire to bottleneck them anyway. Considering how much few GPU's cost, it doesn't even make sense to save on CPU...

But this is JUST for gaming.

Since it's JUST for gaming, an i7 no matter what is useless. So an i5, which is cheaper than both the i7s and the Xeon, makes more sense.

To answer the main question, yes 2133 Mhz RAM is compatible with the 4770. Overclocking actually lowers the memory performance on Haswell as the memory controller becomes unstable and therefore you need lower clock speeds. You should be able to achieve up to 3000 Mhz on a decent Haswell motherboard. However with that being said, there is little point in doing it. Memory clock speed does little to nothing to improve performance in games - 0.8 FPS. 

The other question I saw in this thread was regarding 4 vs 8 thread usage for a gaming system. @foxhound590 is running a Core i7 970 which is a hex core with hyper threading and has reported that all threads (12) were in use at about 40% load when playing the new Battlefield 4 beta - something to think about.

It's not a workstation CPU, so why do you say i want to give him workstation CPU? it's just an i7 without iGPU. X86 processor based on Haswell architecture with hyperthreading from Intel like any other i7.He wants to get i7-4770 since he's not overclocking anyway, so I said he can save some money and get a cheaper i7 - Xeon e3-1230v3 - which doesnt have iGPU he would never use anyway. You say it's not a good idea to get i7 when he wants i7 because you can get overclockable i5 even tho he doesnt want to overclock. F--- logic!

If they are the same we do the workstation and server grade cpu's even exist? You really are an ignorant twat. I would trust ly dog more if he recommended a cpu.

I've registered here only to post a single comment because what I saw here is so stupid it's not even funny anymore.

What the hell is this Sh*t, seriously? "Xeon's are not optimized for gaming" So i5 has "Gamingmode= 1" in it's config and Xeon has "Gamingmode= 0"??

1.You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Xeon 1230v3 is pretty much 4770 you just can't overclock it and it does not have integrated GPU.

2. Most 1150 motherboards support 1230v3. I'm using it with H87 Asrock PRO4 motherboard (which is only around $100). Absolutely no problems, it even supports full virtualization technology (though I never use it)

3. Xeon is actually slower than i7 in rendering because it's rated at 3.3 instead of 3.4, genius.

4. The only person here who doesn't know "shit about" is You.

At first you said that Xeons are not optimized for games and now you say that he'd need dual titans to see the difference? Makes no sense at all.

I feel sorry for these people. You are not only ignoring good deals(1230v3 price is a bargain considering how much power it has), you also take information out of blue (Optimization thing, anyone?).

As for people who are considering getting 1230v3: before buying, check Supported CPU's list for your motherboard. While some of them do not support 1230v3, most do. You will certainly don't need an expensive server motherboad. Don't listen to these 'tards.

I find this hard to fap to.

i5 : 4 cores, 4 threads, has an IGP.

i7 : 4 cores, 8 threads due to hyper-threading, has an IGP

Xeon 1230 : 4 cores, 8 thread ( same as i7 ), no IGP.

1/For gaming, i5 stays at the sweet spot, since games don't take advantage of hyper-threading.

2/For some video editing/rendering, other CPU intensive tasks:

- If you want to OC, and/or don't have the desire to use a discrete VGA card, i7 3770k/4770k turns out better.

- If you don't want to OC high ( since H87/Z87 motherboard can still help pushing a Xeon by a few hundred mhz ) and are planning to use a discrete VGA, get the Xeon 1230 V3. It would cost you much less compared to an i7 4770 without any significant lose in performance.

Source:tomshardware

Actions will be taken soon.

For now, this thread has just been pointless bickering over a solved question.