Linus Media Group vs Amazon? #Confused

VAkena

I've been reading some of the posts made on the Linus Tech Facebook page and apparently there's something going on between LMG and Amazon. The posts on Facebook by Linus Tech don't give any context as to what actually happened...

Does anyone actually know what happened or is it somewhat confidential? 

I think they aren't allowed to have people bookmark affiliate links? 

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I recommend looking at Linus' Twitter 

| CPUIntel i5-6500 3.2GHz | MotherboardMSI Z170 SLI Plus | RAM8GB 2800 G.SKILL Ripjaws | GPUMSI Nvidia GTX 950 2GB | Case: NZXT Source Black | Storage120GB ADATA SX930 SSD, 500GB Western Digital Blue | PSU: 800 watt 80 plus bronze |

Linus was breaching his contract with amazon since 2013 by " Telling people to replace their bookmarks with his affiliate link, when he'd already been warned multiple times that doing so was a bannable offence". They just now got mad which is very understandable.  

2 minutes ago, ThyFeared said:

Linus was breaching his contract with amazon since 2013 by " Telling people to replace their bookmarks with his affiliate link, when he'd already been warned multiple times that doing so was a bannable offence". They just now got mad which is very understandable.  

Err, can someone explain why Amazon cares if Linus tells people to bookmark his affiliate link?

I probably don't understand something here, but it seems like a win-win for amazon and LTT

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Err, can someone explain why Amazon cares if Linus tells people to bookmark his affiliate link?

I probably don't understand something here, but it seems like a win-win for amazon and LTT

Basically hes making people buy shit through his link so he gets money either way.

Someone could buy cereal and he makes money

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Because if it's bookmarked, then they're paying Linus and co. for doing absolutely nothing. The whole intention of the affiliate program is to advertise products sold on Amazon, not to give money to content creators for telling people that if they're going to shop, they should shop in a way that gives them kickback.

I understand Amazon's side completely, unfortunately, but I hope the Amazon Affiliate program kickback wasn't a huge thing for LMG if they're at risk of being removed.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

The whole intention of the affiliate program is to advertise products sold on Amazon

Ok, I see, Amazon wants LMG to give people links to specific products that are being shown in an episode.

Thanks, that makes sense :)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

8 minutes ago, ThyFeared said:

since 2013

3 years.. HOW FUCKING SLOW ARE THESE PEOPLE?

i mean, if he's been breaking contract since 2013 i feel like someone at amazon needs to rethink priorities here if it took that long for them to act...

reminds me of something: a belgian financial institute recently went bankrupt, they were shut down since they were violating pretty much every rule attached to their bank license since 2011, and the governing instances that are supposed to stop this from happening basicly did nothing until years after.

but i see a lot of youtubers say use our affiliate link when buying from amazon to give us a kickback are they in trouble also? in fact a school that my sister goes to also have a similar thing with amazon

57 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but i see a lot of youtubers say use our affiliate link when buying from amazon to give us a kickback are they in trouble also? in fact a school that my sister goes to also have a similar thing with amazon

its specifically telling them to bookmark it that's the problem. 

People can bookmark it all of their own, but asking them to is the breach of contract.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

33 minutes ago, Atmos said:

its specifically telling them to bookmark it that's the problem. 

People can bookmark it all of their own, but asking them to is the breach of contract.

Yeah but I remember Twitch was just for gaming and they have let Linus get away with having the WAN show on their platform. Technically speaking he was in a breach of Contract their and Twitch never said shit. Amazon needs to chill the fuck out. I mean there are other online retailers. Furthermore to not even call him and tell the LMG team that they are terminating their account. Amazon should have said, stop telling people to bookmark the link. And maybe have LMG issue an apology. That would have been acceptable. Or at least give them a call and say well you guys violated the contact so we will be forced to terminate you account. Not just pull the plug. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah but I remember Twitch was just for gaming and they have let Linus get away with having the WAN show on their platform. Technically speaking he was in a breach of Contract their and Twitch never said shit. Amazon needs to chill the fuck out. I mean there are other online retailers. Furthermore to not even call him and tell the LMG team that they are terminating their account. Amazon should have said, stop telling people to bookmark the link. And maybe have LMG issue an apology. That would have been acceptable. Or at least give them a call and say well you guys violated the contact so we will be forced to terminate you account. Not just pull the plug. 

Apparently they've received multiple warnings, no idea of what kind though.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

I think its more of the way they did it then any thing else. Now Amazon looks like dicks to the roughly 2.7 Million LMG Subs. GG Amazon. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I think its more of the way they did it then any thing else. Now Amazon looks like dicks to the roughly 2.7 Million LMG Subs. GG Amazon. 

here's the thing about that, 2.7 million people aren't going to stop using amazon, not even close, not 1 million, not 100,000, everyone uses it, so Linus doesn't have leverage against them other than the aforementioned "well look, everyone else does it" if in fact they do do it.  That would set a legal precedent that just would never happen, so amazon would have to cut ties with everyone with a video that has done it (which would cause an uproar), or risk being counter sued. So in the end, Amazon may just really get on linus to stop it, but continue the program.

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Well this forum is biased towards Linus. I am actually on Amazon's side on this one, Linus breached the rules and that's what he actually does deserve. That would happen to anyone. It doesn't matter who you are, LMG breached the rules, that's all.

Huh, weird..

Just heard about it on the WAN show. Now they have to take down all videos with that reference in it.. That's gonna be quite some work. They could also use the YouTube editor to cut out the entire Amazon thing.

They probably earn quite a bit from this Amazon thing, so they will probably do it.

Also, kinda weird that it is not allowed to do it like that. I mean, I don't know how the whole code thing works, but I would assume this is the most effective way for the customer to use it?

10 minutes ago, Illumination said:

Well this forum is biased towards Linus. I am actually on Amazon's side on this one, Linus breached the rules and that's what he actually does deserve. That would happen to anyone. It doesn't matter who you are, LMG breached the rules, that's all.

It's not like this is AmazonTechTips, it's LinusTechTips, so of course people will be biased for Linus.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Huh, weird..

Just heard about it on the WAN show. Now they have to take down all videos with that reference in it.. That's gonna be quite some work. They could also use the YouTube editor to cut out the entire Amazon thing.

They probably earn quite a bit from this Amazon thing, so they will probably do it.

Also, kinda weird that it is not allowed to do it like that. I mean, I don't know how the whole code thing works, but I would assume this is the most effective way for the customer to use it?

It's not like this is AmazonTechTips, it's LinusTechTips, so of course people will be biased for Linus.

the code gives ya a cookie and from there on the affiliate will get a % from your purchase.

I suppose that the problem is in Linus saying that people should bookmark their code, I'm guessing Amazon would want people to not stick with just one affilate partner

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Some claims above that Linus was warned previously, any reference to to that? Recognising ignorance is not a defence, it did seem like he wasn't aware of that. So in part I agree Amazon are within their right to pull the plug if T&C's were not met, although they could have done it in a more elegant way.

As for Amazon themselves, I'd argue that have gained from bookmarking even if not allowed. I'm too lazy to bookmark but do click the forum affiliate link if I choose to buy from Amazon. I have multiple choices of where to buy, and the affiliate link to support LTT was an influence to me picking Amazon over others. That motivation is now gone. It isn't all or nothing. I'm not going to stop buying from Amazon, but as a result of this, it will likely be less than before.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 hours ago, ThyFeared said:

10 hours ago, Atmos said:

You guys have a source on that? Linus seemed pretty damn confused on Twitter and FB.

Though if you do have a source, please post it so everyone can see.

I'm tentatively on Amazon's side of things. If this was against his contract, then so be it. If they gave him multiple warnings, then I completely agree with their actions. If they did not warn LMG, then they should give him one warning and make sure he doesn't do it again.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

they already looked like dicks to me for not operating in belgium :P

however, these guys are the bigger dicks: http://www.amazon.be/

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Oh, you wanna go to the hospital?   With our "prime" membership we'll get you there in two business days.

its okay, i have amazon insurance xD

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

With a name like that, I'd be more concerned that I'd be sent to a tribal witch doctor by the Amazon.

i honestly still wonder what the hell that company is, they have amazon.be parked with only an image, and beyond that they dont even really have any resources of what they're actually doing as a buisiness...

It's an awkward first post, but I just wanted to note that the Amazon Insurance in Belgium is actually one of the bigger insurance brokers and widely recognized as a B2B broker for various kinds of insurances: car, medical, .... BTW: Amazon insurances was founded even before Amazon existed.

BTW: I do genuinely believe that Linus possibly missed any warnings from Amazon and that it came quite unexpected. I do hope they get the issue resolved and come to an agreement.

4 hours ago, IMPERIUS said:

the code gives ya a cookie and from there on the affiliate will get a % from your purchase.

I suppose that the problem is in Linus saying that people should bookmark their code, I'm guessing Amazon would want people to not stick with just one affilate partner

Yeah, they likely don't think it's fair or something.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/