R9 470 to be only 5% slower than the 970

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

To be fair to Patrick there is a world of difference between the game engine guys at Dice, Epic, Valve, Crytek, id software etc and the competence of the typical game developer.

And there's a difference between a nasa programmer and the programmers making a foghorn app for your mobile.

In gaming you are hired for the job that needs to be done. Being incompetent for that job is an issue. Not knowing things you don't need to is irrelevant.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've always found it really wonky to run. At least the original PC version and not the newer port. 

I always thought it was really inefficient.  Later in life I learned it was just locked to 30 fps, which would explain a lot.  Glad I played it while I was young because there's no way I would tolerate that today :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I always thought it was really inefficient.  Later in life I learned it was just locked to 30 fps, which would explain a lot.  Glad I played it while I was young because there's no way I would tolerate that today :D

Yeah, there's a lot wrong with SA that isn't in 3 or VC. Not much support for 16:9 resolutions like 1280x720, 1360x768, 1920x1080, etc. but it sure as hell supports 16:10 or 5:3 resolutions like 1280x768 or 1440x900

I believe the game is actually capped at 25FPS natively, frame pacing is horrible, too much wrong with it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

All of his assumptions are sound from a microeconomic perspective and they fall I line with trends from previous years.

Still may or may not occur; it's not certain. I didn't comment on their probability.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

16 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

Like the 1080Ti or Pascal Titian? I'll believe it when I see it...

Vega comes out early January. Would be extremely surprised if AMD didn't release a high end card with HBM2

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've always found it really wonky to run. At least the original PC version and not the newer port. 

I bought it the day it launched on PC and never patched it (can't lose Hot Coffee xD) and I never had any problems. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

kek

Hmm. I might be the oddball out then.

What OS did you use? I ran both XP Pro and 2000 Pro. I never tried it on 98SE or Vista though.

Actually, I take it back. I did play it on my work computer which used Vista when we were in between projects one time. xD

It's k.

Even if there is only a 5% difference from the 470 to the 970, at 150 cost, nvidia dropped the 970 cost to 280 dollars so it's all k.

only twice the price for the same performance on nvidia and maxwell that handles preemption and async so well.

nvidia for life, long live nvidia, watch all the nvidia fans snap up 970s

/and so it began, the destruction of human civilization and the launching into a real world idiocracy.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

2 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

Vega comes out early January. Would be extremely surprised if AMD didn't release a high end card with HBM2

I fully expect Vega 10 (490(X)) to be coming with GDDR5X just because it's way easier to produce in great quantities, with Vega 11 being the super high-end beast with HBM2. And yes, I know we're putting the same architecture on two vastly different memory interfaces, but at the same time it seems kinda logical to get the slightly lower end stuff on the (still super fast) G5X and the true high-end enthusiast stuff on HBM2.

Ye ole' train

6 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:
4 hours ago, Humbug said:

To be fair to Patrick there is a world of difference between the game engine guys at Dice, Epic, Valve, Crytek, id software etc and the competence of the typical game developer.

The re: is that most devs shouldnt be using their own engine anyway 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I fully expect Vega 10 (490(X)) to be coming with GDDR5X just because it's way easier to produce in great quantities, with Vega 11 being the super high-end beast with HBM2. And yes, I know we're putting the same architecture on two vastly different memory interfaces, but at the same time it seems kinda logical to get the slightly lower end stuff on the (still super fast) G5X and the true high-end enthusiast stuff on HBM2.

It could be feasible to put hbm on vega 10, even hbm1, they have had time to figure out how to mass produce it by now with the fury lineup, the only difference is that hopefully they will have larger amounts of vram like 8gb or 16gb.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

It could be feasible to put hbm on vega 10, even hbm1, they have had time to figure out how to mass produce it by now with the fury lineup, the only difference is that hopefully they will have larger amounts of vram like 8gb or 16gb.

You can't put more than 4 GB of HBM1 on a GPU because of the technology itself, that's why both AMD and nvidia are waiting for HBM2.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

2 minutes ago, Agost said:

You can't put more than 4 GB of HBM1 on a GPU because of the technology itself, that's why both AMD and nvidia are waiting for HBM2.

You can, but you have to make a larger interposer and increase the bandwidth by 1024 bits for every GB of VRAM. So it's a bad choice, but it's technically possible.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

If it actually performs like that I might get that and a CPU upgrade

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 hours ago, Minibois said:

If it actually performs like that I might get that and a CPU upgrade

Isn't your i7 cutting it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.