Microsoft Hits a New Low - Pressing Close Will Now Install Windows 10

LAwLz

I'm not. I turned windows 7 updates off ages ago

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

47 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Because it's really buggy. Half the time I boot my PC I need to immediately restart because there's no audio until I do. It bluescreens with much greater frequency that Windows 7 did, Windows Explorer crashes much more often than it used to, the Start Menu is constantly breaking. This can be "minor" breaks, such as the colour not loading correctly so that the text and all of the buttons are not visible, or clicking anything on the taskbar can just not work, Cortana crashes quite often (despite being set to not even run), and when it does there is a massive window that is constantly on top requiring me to logout and log back in to enable it to restart (again, even though it is set to never be running in the first place).

I'd list the telemetry and spyware shit Windows 10 is full of too, but that's long since been retroactively shoved onto Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

As soon as I can I'm dumping Windows entirely.

seems like a hardware issue. i have windows 10 on 4 personal systems used daily and have none of these issues at all. i dont understand everyones big deal about a free upgrade, if youre using 7 or 8 youre obviously happy with windows so why not upgrade to a better version of it?

2 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

seems like a hardware issue. i have windows 10 on 4 personal systems used daily and have none of these issues at all. i dont understand everyones big deal about a free upgrade, if youre using 7 or 8 youre obviously happy with windows so why not upgrade to a better version of it?

Windows 10 is not established to be better Windows 7, or 8(.1). It's a trade-off of features, control, privacy, stability, and functionality. Some things W10 offers are nice, but other things are nicer in Windows 7.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Credit Card laws and cardholder agreements are generally too strict to allow something like what you describe to happen without consequences.

At worst, the person would simply need to put a chargeback on their credit card for unauthorized payments.

I do not think Microsoft will do that at all. I think as soon as the deadline for the free Upgrade hits, they will disable the notifier (It likely already has the code built in to match against date, and auto disable). After that, they may have some sort of app that will allow you to "easily" purchase an upgrade, but I don't believe this hypothetical app will be in your face at all.

Well. I guess I can equate the last day to upgrade for free as "2012" where after the day passes, it's suddenly peaceful and quiet. 

25 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

It turns out a public alpha is no replacement for the team of skilled testers that they laid off.

It's great that you have not had any issues. Unfortunately you are in the minority.

The pop up hasn't happened to me but I have the toolbar 10 logo. Its still bad that they are so eager to get everyone in win 10. The only reason why I'm going across is because of the DPI scaling for 4k

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Microsoft, I like Windows 10, but I DON'T like how you're pushing it.

20 minutes ago, Kherm said:

the new one literally has a cancel button whereas the last one didn't 

Problem is that people are so used to just clicking out of it they won't notice the cancel button right away.

Jeez MS, I'll upgrade on July 28th, no need to be so pushy. Let me enjoy my Win 7 for 2 more month before I have deal with Win 10 :dry:

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not really. Fine about control but I don't understand this.

Aside from the telemetry in W10, which doesn't exist in Win7 unless a person chooses to install the 2015 updates which added it... when typing something into the Win7 start search, what you type doesn't get sent to Microsoft. When you type something into Cortana, it does.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Aside from the telemetry in W10, which doesn't exist in Win7 unless a person chooses to install the 2015 updates which added it... when typing something into the Win7 start search, what you type doesn't get sent to Microsoft. When you type something into Cortana, it does.

If you have something to hide from typing from the start search, then what the hell are you using Windows for.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you have something to hide from typing from the start search, then what the hell are you using Windows for.

When you talk about needing to have something to hide in order to not be on exposition to Microsoft, you're already showing that you don't have an understanding of what privacy is, or what personal space is, or what control over one's own domain is.

Not having something to hide isn't equal to freely giving yourself away. And you wondered about what's less private with Win10 than Win7, and you got an answer.

how many times have i pasted this now?

http://darkpatterns.org

Now i'll wait for the MS Defence Force to do what they to best in this cases (which is justify it by calling out Google)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, spwath said:

I can defend it.

You can play devil's advocate on the internet, how unique you are.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wait and see how many people are going to whine when the free upgrade expires lol. You're going to have to upgrade sometime luddite, might as well do it while it's free.

Honestly the only people whining about this automatic upgrade business are people smart enough to stop it.

2 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

Wait and see how many people are going to whine when the free upgrade expires lol. You're going to have to upgrade sometime luddite, might as well do it while it's free.

Honestly the only people whining about this automatic upgrade business are people smart enough to stop it.

I wonder how many people had their machines upgrade on them and they didn't even notice... that might sound unfathomable to some but I know there's at least a handful of people out there that are about that tuned in to what their PC is doing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wonder how many people had their machines upgrade on them and they didn't even notice... that might sound unfathomable to some but I know there's at least a handful of people out there that are about that tuned in to what their PC is doing.

The upgrade was so smooth and seamless that my entire family didn't notice the upgrade on their computers except that it looked different. Very few people have a problem with the upgrade, some piece of random niche software stops working, or they're overly concerned about the privacy of their cat photo collection and suddenly Windows 10 is the scum of the Earth, on par with Malware.

6 hours ago, othertomperson said:

It turns out a public alpha is no replacement for the team of skilled testers that they laid off.

It's great that you have not had any issues. Unfortunately you are in the minority.

Source?

Even though I personally have experienced issues on a couple computers (3 computers - out of like, literally 100), I'm EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL that the people having issues are the majority. If someone didn't have any issues, they are extremely unlikely to post about it. The vocal minority that have issues always raise more of a ruckus (as they should, to get their issues addressed).

Remember, there are now over 300 Million active Windows 10 users. You're telling me over 150 Million of them are having issues?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, Weird Face said:

"No means yes" is apparently Microsoft's philosophy.

I'm curious as to when close became no exactly?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

UPDATE: apparently Microsoft has reversed their decision: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376962

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

And when it became "ok go ahead"? 9_9 Stop defending this malware and mspy...:dry:

i have always been on windows 10s side because its a great OS but this is actiually beeing a bitch. but its also Microsofts OS and they can do whatever they want with it because they own(ok not exactly everything) and we chose to use it. i remember disabeling those prompts before upgrading tho so im pretty sure there is a way to get rid of them in the settings, any way this is just a dick move from Microsoft that we can all agree on

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Their malicious attitude and software is going to backfire against them someday, and ill be here to laugh as hard as i can.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Since... always? At the very least, it can be interpreted as a non-response.

Think if an unwanted automated telemarketer called you when you're busy or otherwise doing something else, advertising a product you have absolutely no interest or need for. Rather than listening to the whole recording about how you should buy X product or service, you hang up the phone. To your surprise, you find your credit card charged with the product advertised by the telemarketing robocall even though you never said "yes" to ordering anything and hung up instead.

So yes, clicking X/hanging up is basically a "no" response. It is definitely not a "yes" response.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W