How do you guys keep your desktop clean?

Danielh90

Hello I have alot of icons on my desktop and I was wondering how do you guys keep your desktop clean? Also do you guys have task bar on every monitor that you have or just one task bar one?

Mostly by keeping my main apps in the taskbar instead.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

uhh... I don't.

lol for those who do. I'm just carious 

I usually just don't add shortcuts to my desktop. I either add them to the W10 start menu or my taskbar depending on level of importance.

CPU i5 4670k
 Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER 
RAM DDR3, 16GB

GPU XFX R9 390x

Case Raidmax Vampire (Soon to be MasterCase Pro 5)

Storage WD10EZEX-00KUWA0

PSU EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W

Display(s) LG 29UM67 (Ultrawide 29in)

Keyboard HAVIT HV-KB380L

Mouse Redragon Perdition

Sound Extremely old, deliciously sexy Harman Kardons

Operating System W10, VMs of El Capitan, W7, WXP, and Unix

I just throw my pc in the bathtub that always seems to clean it.

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

keep usually accessed programs in task bar, not so frequent access in start menu (windows 10 is bae for this)

and then delete everything on desktop, as well as hiding the recycle bin in "show or hide desktop icons" or something along those lines

and auto-hide your taskbar

result: (my desktop)

Spoiler

Screenshot (8).png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Get a program called fences (trust me it's great) or uh... right click, view, hide icons? 

Capture.PNGI dont use the desktop for anything

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I don't use more half of the icons on my desktop, so it's not very "clean". (out of 34 icons)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Hello I have alot of icons on my desktop and I was wondering how do you guys keep your desktop clean? Also pictures of your desktop.

Oh god now I dont even know if youre talking about a 'desktop' (computer) or the desktop of the computer.

Anyways I usually just sort out everything according to games, computer programs, programming, computer health, personal stuff, 'game software' (i.e. steam, origin, battle.net, Logitech Gaming Software, Razer Synapse). Of course also recycling bin at the BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE DESKTOP.

If your talking about 'desktop' (computer) then zipties, time, effort, squishing the side panel on.

------

Just realized it is a desktop of the computer r.i.p

20 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Hello I have alot of icons on my desktop and I was wondering how do you guys keep your desktop clean? Also pictures of your desktop.

I'm not home now so I can't send pics, but what I've always done is use folders. A little while ago I even figured out how to change the folder icon to match parent programs. For example, the steam icon on my desktop is actually a folder with all of my games and game launchers, and the 3D mark icon is actually a folder with all of my hardware monitors and bench marking software. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1. There's really no reason to have files on your desktop permanently (ie, use it for a convenient workspace from time to time if you want but clean it up when you're done.  "storing" things on the desktop is not organization/file management)
  2. You shouldn't really need any shortcuts there either.  If you use it often enough, it should be in the task bar, and if not, the start menu's search should be enough to get you to the icon in under 2 seconds

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I just throw all of my icons into a folder called "Real Desktop," that way it's much easier to find those shortcuts.

[witty signature]

50 minutes ago, Wolther said:

right click, view, hide icons? 

That's what I do, along with most of my main apps on the taskbar: File explorer, Steam, Chrome and Spotify.

"Well sing with me a hymn 
For the light that has dimmed 
For the heart that no longer beats 
And even until death when nothing else is left and the pain has finally ceased 
And the sun will never shine on this cold dead heart of mine" 

You can't kill something that doesn't care if it lives.

My PC: 

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz, CPU Cooler:be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO, Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-3000, Storage:Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,
Video Card: EVGA ACX SSC 970 (1080 soon), Case:Fractal Design Define R5, Power Supply:EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold, Operating System:Windows 10 Home, Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse:Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

That's what I do, along with most of my main apps on the taskbar: File explorer, Steam, Chrome and Spotify.

I have Waterfox, File Explorer, Steam, Notepad, and RadeonPro.

[witty signature]

I use rainmeter and rocketdock.Desktop.PNG

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I use the desktop for temporary storage for things that I'm currently working on.  My documents and downloads files are a little messy from time to time.

In linux with a desktop GUI I'll use gnomeDo to access applications or files.  I have it linked to a keyboard shortcut, usually control + space.

In Windows 10 I've gotten into the habit of hitting the "windows" key, bringing up the search bar and using it exactly like gnomeDo.

On my laptop I don't have any icons on the desktop, taskbar or start menu.  I exclusively use the windows key and search to open files and apps.

I know that most of my programs are accessible in one of four ways:

• It's pinned to the task bar
  • The Start Menu/Screen/Whatever, so I can use the search feature
  • In one of my apps folders (Like D:\Apps)
  • On Steam, Origin, or whatever.

Anything I work on I save to an appropriate place. It's really a habit building thing though.

I only keep icons on my desktop that deal with frequently used programs. Any files I download that I wish to keep typically go right to the server, and then I delete the copies that I have on my desktop. 

And fun fact: My secondary display has no icons on its desktop.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have a Games folder, School folder, recycle bin, then Chrome on my desktop and that is all.

Folders are the answer to clutter. That and removing unneeded stuff.

I keep very few shortcuts on my desktop. My games I can find quicker in steam than I could on the desktop so no need for shortcuts there. The only items that I have on my desktop is Visual Studio, Blender, Perforce, MSI Afterburner, CPUID Hardware Monitor, shortcut to my perforce workspace, Remote Desktop Connection and a couple of frequently played games.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Pin all my most frequently used apps to the taskbar, have well organized folders for all my docs/pics/etc, and don't leave anything saved to the desktop for more than a week.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I don't have any icons on my desktop. Or my taskbar for that matter - who wants clutter down there?

I set the start menu to the Windows 8 style fullscreen Start Screen, which is a fantastic application launcher. And have it bound to my center mouse button, it means I don't have to minimise my current app if I want to launch a new one.

I also use RocketDock at the top of my topmost screen and set to autohide for really frequently used apps.