GTX 1080 Vs. 1080 Founders Edition  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1000 Series Card You Going to Buy

• GTX 1080
    • GTX 1080 FE
    • GTX 1070
    • GTX 1070 FE

Hey there

The reveal stream was so cool, cant wait.

Does anyone know the difference between the 1080 ad the 1080 FE. From what I understand, better overclock-ability?

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

You should add an option for the Titan and Ti cards. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I'll get a 1080 FE or two once I can muster a miracle to sell my Titan for a reasonable price. Right now, it's pretty much in limbo price-wise.

1 minute ago, TheCovertCamper said:

I'll get a 1080 FE or two once I can muster a miracle to sell my Titan for a reasonable price. Right now, it's pretty much in limbo price-wise.

Good luck selling it, considering a 1080 is almost x2 performance at just over 1/2 the price

Roses are red

My name is Roy

32 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

You should add an option for the Titan and Ti cards. ;)

The TITAN is a separate series, and there arnt 1000 Ti editions

Roses are red

My name is Roy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Good luck selling it, considering a 1080 is almost x2 performance at just over 1/2 the price

I didn't pay for it (really long story) but I still had it while it was worth $1000. I'm so fucked..... I could just try and sell it for $500 and then  use my $1500 to get two 1080's. 

Gonna list my classy for $550 on my local CL and see what happens. If I can get the 1080, great.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I think the founder edition will be with their new vapor chamber ref cooler, and the msrp one will be for the other companies

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

Laptop : Macbook 2017

Home server : AMD A10 7700k | 2*2TB unraid array + 250GB ssd cache

So tell me. Is the Founders Edition going to have the new cooler and the regular edition going to have the current cooler? Because I really want that angular cooler but not have to pay another $70 for the 1070 FE...

2 minutes ago, StrikerX1360 said:

So tell me. Is the Founders Edition going to have the new cooler and the regular edition going to have the current cooler? Because I really want that angular cooler but not have to pay another $70 for the 1070 FE...

Nope founder edition is the new way of saying reference cooler. Aftermarket cards will be $100 cheaper. This is because nvidia does not want to compete with their partners.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Nope founder edition is the new way of saying reference cooler. Aftermarket cards will be $100 cheaper. This is because nvidia does not want to compete with their partners.

Okay, so they're both going to have the new cooler? The one showed off at the press conference?

Probably aftermarket 1080 (so i picked the reference vote?), but depends on the prices too. The FE prices seem absurd and I only ever apply very modest OCs.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

6 minutes ago, StrikerX1360 said:

Okay, so they're both going to have the new cooler? The one showed off at the press conference?

There is only one card from nvidia not two.

The one with the new cooler is the FE.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

There is only one card from nvidia not two.

The one with the new cooler is the FE.

But they're making a GTX 1070 and 1080. Then they're selling 2 separate models for each card which is the regular and then the FE. What I'm asking is if I buy the 1070, will it have the new cooler on it?

Just now, StrikerX1360 said:

But they're making a GTX 1070 and 1080. Then they're selling 2 separate models for each card which is the regular and then the FE. What I'm asking is if I buy the 1070, will it have the new cooler on it?

one model per card

new reference cooler is the founder edition

the one with the MSRP they talked about is the board partner ones.

Just now, thekeemo said:

one model per card

new reference cooler is the founder edition

the one with the MSRP they talked about is the board partner ones.

So if I get a 1070, I have to pay $449 for the one with the new cooler rather than the regular $379 one

Just now, StrikerX1360 said:

So if I get a 1070, I have to pay $449 for the one with the new cooler rather than the regular $379 one

$450 for the new reference cooler

$380 for an aftermarket card 

yes

Just now, thekeemo said:

$450 for the new reference cooler

$380 for an aftermarket card 

yes

dang... I really want the swag one without the extra $70

On 7 mai 2016 at 6:47 AM, UberGamerKing said:

Hey there

Does anyone know the difference between the 1080 ad the 1080 FE. From what I understand, better overclock-ability?

THEY ARE VIRTUALLY THE SAME.  THERE IS NO BINNING. 

The only card sold by Nvidia is the Founders edition, which is their new name for a reference card. It is higher priced than used to be for a reference because they thought they would try to compete with the offerings of their partners ( MSI EVGA ... ) and propose a better card that people would actually desire, with better materials ( Aluminum ) a backplate and a new better cooler. 

The normal 599$ one is for their partners, MSI EVGA...  and will perform the same, or better with specially binned versions like kingpin. 

The Founders Edition is no more than a MARKETING GIMMICK. 

On 7 mai 2016 at 6:47 AM, UberGamerKing said:

Hey there

The main point going for the FE is that if you have a small form factor case it pushes the air out of the case instead of dissipating it inside. 
Then there is the faster availability but I don't care as I will be waiting for real world benchmarks. 
Finally the aesthetics but that is subjective. 
All in all, not much to justify the 100$ premium.

Replace founders edition with ''reference''. As in, the card Nvidia is going to be selling. The founders edition name carries absolutely no meaning, it is simply the card that Nvidia will be selling. In the past Nvidia sold the 980 and MSI sold the 980 4G Gaming. Now Nvidia will be selling the 1080 Founders Edition while MSI will sell the 1080 8G Gaming. The reference card will cost 700USD at the shelf for the consumers. Yes i said reference, you can call it founders edition if you really want to, i refuse to.

So what is this 600USD card?

That would be the MSRP or ''Manufacturer's suggested retail price'' though you may know this as ''list price''. It's nothing but a recommendation which neither MSI or Newegg will be able to match at the start.

Why would the recommended price differ so much?

Because Nvidia wants to market their 700USD card, as a 600USD card.

On a last note, the MSRP of the 980Ti was 650USD, the same as the reference price point. Looking at the current price, if you want the 980Ti for a full 100USD bellow the reference price, you're gonna have to look at down clocked, damaged, opened or used products. And the 980Ti was released about 11 months ago.

Edit: Imagine how car manufacturers market their cars at a significantly lower price than what you end up having to pay, because of ''voluntary extra equipment''.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

12 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Replace founders edition with ''reference''. As in, the card Nvidia is going to be selling. The founders edition name carries absolutely no meaning, it is simply the card that Nvidia will be selling. In the past Nvidia sold the 980 and MSI sold the 980 4G Gaming. Now Nvidia will be selling the 1080 Founders Edition while MSI will sell the 1080 8G Gaming. The reference card will cost 700USD at the shelf for the consumers. Yes i said reference, you can call it founders edition if you really want to, i refuse to.

So what is this 600USD card?

That would be the MSRP or ''Manufacturer's suggested retail price'' though you may know this as ''list price''. It's nothing but a recommendation which neither MSI or Newegg will be able to match at the start.

Why would the recommended price differ so much?

Because Nvidia wants to market their 700USD card, as a 600USD card.

On a last note, the MSRP of the 980Ti was 650USD, the same as the reference price point. Looking at the current price, if you want the 980Ti for a full 100USD bellow the reference price, you're gonna have to look at down clocked, damaged, opened or used products. And the 980Ti was released about 11 months ago.

Edit: Imagine how car manufacturers market their cars at a significantly lower price than what you end up having to pay, because of ''voluntary extra equipment''.

exactly, there is so much confusion because of Nvidia's muddled PR