GTX 1080 Vs. 1080 Founders Edition

GTX 1080 Vs. 1080 Founders Edition  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1000 Series Card You Going to Buy

• GTX 1080
    • GTX 1080 FE
    • GTX 1070
    • GTX 1070 FE

happy with my 980Ti , i will wait pascal HBM.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

Wow this thread totally confused me. I have no idea which one I'm going to buy now. The only reason I thought to buy the FE card was because i thought it was a better binned card.

3 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

Wow this thread totally confused me. I have no idea which one I'm going to buy now. The only reason I thought to buy the FE card was because i thought it was a better binned card.

Seems like that was Nvidia's goal... 
But I would trust companies like MSI, EVGA or Gigabyte more for providing a better cooling solution. 
And those will also provide their usual Lightning, Classified and Xtrem Gaming series for better OC options. 

Well define better since apparently 1080FE reach 2100Mhz on the gpu at 67°C...

So an aftermarket cooler version will have to be near silent to be usefull.

8 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

By the way, the cards offered by those companies will probably be around the same price as the FE/reference but with options for either a more barebone budget version or some top of the line cards with extra features like hybrid / water cooling among other things. 

1 minute ago, Atsura said:

well the reference design itself would need to be silent, but looking back at the track record it is pretty bad in the sound department compared to other solutions like the Twin frozer by MSI or the Windforce by gigabyte which both performed better in temps and quieter. 
Anyhow, it is worth waiting for at least a partial lineup to make a choice and not bite the hype bullet and just buy the first available Nvidia reference. 

Personally i won't buy any of those but a card oc to 2,1Ghz running 67°C on stock cooler.

The only thing i would care will be noise and not even temps anymore with an aftermarket cooler.

They are better but i don't care about running at 60°C for exemple., i would just turn the fans even lower.

1 minute ago, Atsura said:

Personally i won't buy any of those but a card oc to 2,1Ghz running 67°C on stock cooler.

The only thing i would care will be noise and not even temps anymore with an aftermarket cooler.

They are better but i don't care about running at 60°C for exemple., i would just turn the fans even lower.

Well temps and noise are very correlated so you can't just cut one out can you. 
Then you say you don't care about temps but you seem to care about OC. The OC margin that you dispose of depends on your temp margin. 
So yeah temps do matter. 

Not much since you may hit the chip limitation before hitting a temp wall i think.

Stock clock is about 1,6Ghz , i don't think you would hit like 2.5Ghz except on few lucky chips.

So imo most card will hit the gpu max freq way before temps wall on an aftermarket cooler.

That's why i am saying personally if i get an aftermarket card running 2,1Ghz at like 60°C.

I would just turn down the fan speed don't really care if it reach 65-70°C if it's near silent.

3 minutes ago, Atsura said:

Not much since you may hit the chip limitation before hitting a temp wall i think.

Stock clock is about 1,6Ghz , i don't think you would hit like 2.5Ghz except on few lucky chips.

So imo most card will hit the gpu max freq way before temps wall on an aftermarket cooler.

That's why i am saying personally if i get an aftermarket card running 2,1Ghz at like 60°C.

I would just turn down the fan speed don't really care if it reach 65-70°C if it's near silent.

Hmmm that might be true, we shall see. 
Then we must also see the price offerings of the other non reference versions. 
PS:  if you want silence, I hope you have a non windowed silent case like a fractal design Define S, it really helps ! 

Personally my case is inside my desk , so i just changed all fan for noctuas , running barely audible with fixed fans rpm.

What i don't like is when the fans ramps up and down, i prefer a fixed speed what i forget really quick than speed variations.

An it's not a really good thing to do in a fully closed case since the temps get higher.

5 hours ago, Atsura said:

The FE is literally just the reference design, would you buy a reference 980?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2427-difference-between-gtx-1080-founders-edition-and-reference

This article really cleared it up for me.

23 hours ago, Deusrex said:

The FE is literally just the reference design, would you buy a reference 980?

If it was capable of  holding the card 67°C after oc without too much noise, for sure yes.

it's just licked by huang for the fans,, and sold it as FE... 

xD

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

On 5/9/2016 at 7:14 PM, StrikerX1360 said:

dang... I really want the swag one without the extra $70

On 5/9/2016 at 7:12 PM, StrikerX1360 said:

So if I get a 1070, I have to pay $449 for the one with the new cooler rather than the regular $379 one

There is no "regular" one.

The founders edition is the O N L Y model nvidia is making.  It is the REFERENCE model.

The $600 one, is not made by Nvidia, it will be aftermarket cards, like the EVGA ACX model.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On May 7, 2016 at 1:22 AM, TheCovertCamper said:

I'll get a 1080 FE or two once I can muster a miracle to sell my Titan for a reasonable price. Right now, it's pretty much in limbo price-wise.

Why aren't you going for an aftermarket cooled version? Preference or because you don't really care? 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

I'm sure many others share my thoughts on this topic.

To charge MORE for a reference design in the past would have been absolutely ludicrous. I mean, reference coolers tended to be abysmal. I hear that the blower style that has been used since the release of the Titan is actually a pretty good cooler though.

Still, when I look at the features and parts that ASUS deployed on my Strix card I can only see it as a superior product.

So, in a sense, it almost feels as if they're doing this to cash in. What I mean is, to penalise the enthusiasts that need the hardware day one.

Not that bothered by it really though, I'll probably just get whatever ASUS decide to do with their 1070 release!

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI | HyperX FURY 16GB 1866 MHz | ASUS GTX 970 Strix 4GB | Samsung 850 Pro 250GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | Corsair 200R w/ 2x SilverStone AP121 | Dell U2410 (1920x1200) | Dell U2412M (1920x1200) | Dell AX510 soundbar | Logitech G600 | Corsair K65

1 hour ago, Festive said:

Why aren't you going for an aftermarket cooled version? Preference or because you don't really care? 

My Titan X is already not very loud even with the stock cooler, I'll just get the EVGA stock cooler, it should be cheaper than the the FE.

The Founder's edition is signed by Benjaming Franklin himself. Nvidia spent bilions of dollars developing time travel technology to get him enslaved in their HQ and sign all of them... This is crazy, spending that much money and not delivering a considerable performance boost over 9xx series.

Bad nVidia. Bad.

13 hours ago, Atsura said:

If it was capable of  holding the card 67°C after oc without too much noise, for sure yes.

Right, but so will not AIB cards.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 5:48 AM, Deusrex said:

FE cards are in no way shape or form specially binned cards they just run the founders edition cooling system ( or reference cooling system in old money).

12 hours ago, speedlolita said:

I'm sure many others share my thoughts on this topic.

To charge MORE for a reference design in the past would have been absolutely ludicrous. I mean, reference coolers tended to be abysmal. I hear that the blower style that has been used since the release of the Titan is actually a pretty good cooler though.

Still, when I look at the features and parts that ASUS deployed on my Strix card I can only see it as a superior product.

So, in a sense, it almost feels as if they're doing this to cash in. What I mean is, to penalise the enthusiasts that need the hardware day one.

Not that bothered by it really though, I'll probably just get whatever ASUS decide to do with their 1070 release!

While I see your point of view and agree to a point. Tell me a company which hasn't charged more for a product on day 1 of launch. Lets not forget no partners have come out and said they wont have their versions of the 1080 FE out on launch day. Also Nvidia have done this pricing so they don't compete with the likes of EVGA and MSi when they come to release there own versions. While the Asus Strix card you mentioned is a very good card to say it has better parts is abit short sighted. The card works and fits your needs but for some it wont e.g if you need an exhaust style card.