Quantum limit for micro-architecture?

Go to solution Solved by agent_x007,

7nm is considered a limit for Silicone (Si), because it's atoms are 0,21nm in diameter (Van der Waal).
To make it simpler to understand :
Have U tried to build a waterproof wall (gate), with a few dozens of ping-pong balls (round shape objects) ?
That's more-less how hard it is, to make 7nm transistors.

Hey guys, so i heard somewhere last year that CPU's and GPU's and even SSD's aren't going to shrink much longer. If i remember rightly he said that moores law will l stop at 7nm. Is this true? If so is it possible to break physics if we got smaller?

Thanks in advance :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

With current silicon based technology I think the limit is 7nm maybe 5 but we can easily go smaller with things such as nanotubes and non-silicon based processors.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

yeap, quantum physics is a bish

but im sure the geniuses will find a way around it :D

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Lurick said:

With current silicon based technology I think the limit is 7nm maybe 5 but we can easily go smaller with things such as nanotubes and non-silicon based processors.

Ahh, so maybe we can have carbon nano-tube CPU's soon? xD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yeap, quantum physics is a bish

but im sure the geniuses will find a way around it :D

Maybe we could have massive CPU's? like ones as big as a GPU?

Just now, ProKeero said:

we already do

Just now, mikat said:

not soon, but in 10 years we will know more :)

quote me in 10 years when those things are around (maybe we have galium arsenide transistors in 10 years idk)

Lol in 10 years my i5 4690k will be like the Core 2 Duo of today xD

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

What the actual fuck.. xD why hasn't linus done a video with 2 of these yet xD

4 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

the gpu on a graphics card isn't much bigger or bigger at all compared to a cpu, a graphics card is: memory, board and gpu. :) (that's why graphics cards are so large compared to a cpu)

2 minutes ago, ninninon said:

Theses must be some seriously small magic fairies they've got. Maybe they're hiding amputee fairies inside them. 

#QuadraplegicFairiesLivesMatter

I don't really get how they can manufacture something as small as 14nm xD or even 88nm for all that matter. What tools would you use? lol

7nm is considered a limit for Silicone (Si), because it's atoms are 0,21nm in diameter (Van der Waal).
To make it simpler to understand :
Have U tried to build a waterproof wall (gate), with a few dozens of ping-pong balls (round shape objects) ?
That's more-less how hard it is, to make 7nm transistors.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Yeah , silicon-based substrates will top out at around 7nm ( maybe up to 5nm ibut that would be pushing it ) . It seems we will need to shft technologies to go forward .

Here are the main possibilities we have :

-quantum computing ( the elephant in the room) : the workings of quantum processors are fairly complicated , and i won't explain the here , but i don't think quantum computing will become mainstream because of it's very nature . Apart from very specific tasks , it shouldn't  be faster than traditionnal computing . The main problem with this is the extreme temperatures required to run .

-graphene transistors ( commonly know as CARBON NANOTUBES TRANSISTORS ): graphene requires much less energy than silicon thanks to greater electron mobility , and allows frequencies much higher than traditionnal cpus ( graphene transistors can go up to 1000ghz ): the main problem with this is that we can't manufacture it on a large scale yet.

-ternary computing ( my favourite ) : in theory, it's possible . We would use ternary logic instead of binary ( in fact , ternary computers have been made ). the main advantage here is that we need less transistors to express the same value ( 64 bits represents the same value as ~40 "ternary bits") . This means we need less transistors to do the same work , saving energy and cost ( allowing to pack even more power into chips ) . But as with binary logic , we would reach quantum limits again eventually . the main drawback here is obvious : this makes circuits MUCH more complicated , and breaks compatibility with almost alll code ever written 

-biological computing : using proteins, chemical signals etc , we represent data .  This is a very viable alternative to quantum computing while being cheaper . As this is very new , power and speed potentials are unknow , but scientist think it's a good alternative to classical computing .Main drawback : VERY new.

-optical computing : using photons to represent data .This would increase computing power exponentially , while significantly reducing power and heat. Problem is , it's very new , and there are problems with data leaking out of the processor ( it's light , so duh ). Apart from there being no fully functionning prototype out yet , we don't really know how to manufacture it .

- use different substrates materials like GaN ( galluim nitirde ) and gallium arsenide . They both have their benefits ( lower power , faster frequencies ), but GaN has a signifcant advantage : it can be manufactured using existing fabs . This is a huge plus , and companies are more likely to adopt it . The main problem : only one company is currently really putting work into it , and there is the problem of existing silicon manufacturers not being very happy about it.

Edit : i forgot stacking , but that relies on existing technolgies ( think of it as 3D nand for processors ) . The main problem here is heat dissipation

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

27 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

This is more of a secondary/coprocessor rather than an actual CPU. Mostly used for crunching numbers. It technically counts, but I don't think we have any CPUs that have an actual die the size of a GPU.

1 minute ago, AlexTheRose said:

Not true. The most I’d gander it breaking compatibility with is processor microcode, because the higher you go the more abstractions you encounter with “code.” CPU instructions themselves could be reimplemented with no compatibility break whatsoever, so there’s no real threat of broken compat outside of the research lab for this technology.

I’ve worked with ARM assembly in the past and while I don’t know volumes about ternary computing I’d say the functionality of machine code is transferrable without issue. And even if it’s not, we can always jump the abstraction chain and go up a link. :)

but circuitry would be much more complex though , because of 2 bits = 4 possibilities , it would be 2 "trits" = 9 possibilities , and it gets exponentially worse . think of the truth tables ! What a nightmare for circuit designers !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

25 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

I don't really get how they can manufacture something as small as 14nm xD or even 88nm for all that matter. What tools would you use? lol

basically, a kid burning an ant hill with a magnifying glass :D

37 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Ahh, so maybe we can have carbon nano-tube CPU's soon? xD

Wiki6.jpg

CNTFET transistors have been made in the lab already...

but not anywhere close to mass production needed to make chips.

For now, graphene is probably the best bet AFAIK.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

29 minutes ago, mikat said:

the gpu on a graphics card isn't much bigger or bigger at all compared to a cpu, a graphics card is: memory, board and gpu. :) (that's why graphics cards are so large compared to a cpu)

31 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

What the actual fuck.. xD why hasn't linus done a video with 2 of these yet xD

the main issue here is yields : the larger the chips , the less you get per wafer . while it is true that the largest cpu's AND gpus are around 500-600mm² , cpus tend to sell with much higher margins. , and therefor , tend to be smaller on the consumer side. That and since the cpu market is much bigger , bigger volumes of them are needed.

Carbon based processor will probably be the best option to get really powerful stuffs very fast. Why? Because they figured out the electronic properties of few atoms thick are basically amazing. This would allow high number of transistors, and huge clock frequencies thanks to the fact it won't heat that much and that circuits will handle it.

Eventually we'll have to have fun with quantum electrodynamics to push circuits to amazing frequencies more than trying to push out the number of these.