Amazon is making certain games exclusively purchasable by Prime members only.

TrigrH

What do you think?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is it reasonable on Amazons behalf to restrict physical copies of certain games to Prime members only?

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, Epiclol86 said:

only rumors... it is said that some poeple do still partake in the ancient ritual of buying physical games...

Those that have shitty ISP/want to actually own a copy that can't have the license to play it revoked. Because remember, when you buy a game on Steam or Origin, you are only buying the license to play the game, and that can be revoked at any time without your money being refunded.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

And then, 20 years from now. You may want to play or have your kid play a great game that you owned on console..

Oh WAIT, you can't because they don't offer service anymore on old console and/or the internet changed so much that it's physically incompatible and cannot connect to the internet anymore to download said game. Therefore, you cannot play the game anymore. FOREVER (we never know)

Digital is a thing, but shouldn't be forced. <-- my opinion. 

I'd love to see the backlash if steam was to die tomorrow. Oh my god the PC gaming world would collapse instantly. 

The PSP GO was a digital only console, only released 7 years ago. Do you hear or see it anywhere? Nope

Actually, Many people think the go's screen is best! And I love mine, because of something that is truly unfair:

some games that CAN run on the VITA, WONT be available in the US store...its annoying as hell!

Spyro and Crash...you cant play them!!!

39 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Actually, Many people think the go's screen is best! And I love mine, because of something that is truly unfair:

some games that CAN run on the VITA, WONT be available in the US store...its annoying as hell!

Spyro and Crash...you cant play them!!!

Yes, the Go's screen is best than any other PSP's.. Because it's newer, more technologically advanced. 

That's one thing I don't understand about Sony and Nintendo... You clearly have emulation going all over your consoles. Whether it be PSP games running on VITA or NES/SNES/GBA games running on DS, 3DS, Wii U. 

WHY the hell do they not make ALL games available on ALL consoles? I'd love to play Earthbound Beginnings. I own it, purchased it on Wii U the moment it was released. But I don't want to hold that massive tablet! I want to play it on my 3DS dammit!

@OptimisticRealist Point given.

11 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

And then, 20 years from now. You may want to play or have your kid play a great game that you owned on console..

Oh WAIT, you can't because they don't offer service anymore on old console and/or the internet changed so much that it's physically incompatible and cannot connect to the internet anymore to download said game. Therefore, you cannot play the game anymore. FOREVER (we never know)

Digital is a thing, but shouldn't be forced. <-- my opinion. 

I'd love to see the backlash if steam was to die tomorrow. Oh my god the PC gaming world would collapse instantly. 

The PSP GO was a digital only console, only released 7 years ago. Do you hear or see it anywhere? Nope

1) We've seen games lost functionality already so you're not that far off. However the chances of Steam going away tomorrow or any time soon are about the same of a billionaire suddenly deciding "Fuck this I'll just burn all my money!" 

2) Steam is as popular because of its sales and specials mostly. Yes some of us have 200+ games on it but I paid full retail price for maybe 5 of those. Even if it goes away suddenly and for good, I actually didn't really spend all that much. 

3) The PSPgo was still crippled by something physical: the absurd, expensive, proprietary flash memory. We can talk about digital devices from Sony all day and we also need to talk about their obsession with introducing pointless formats I.e. The mini disc. 

4) Physical games are actually more prone to malfunction or decay and damage over time. I'm surprised you skipped that it is easier to get a win 95 game working digitally than it is physically in fact. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

50 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1) We've seen games lost functionality already so you're not that far off. However the chances of Steam going away tomorrow or any time soon are about the same of a billionaire suddenly deciding "Fuck this I'll just burn all my money!" 

2) Steam is as popular because of its sales and specials mostly. Yes some of us have 200+ games on it but I paid full retail price for maybe 5 of those. Even if it goes away suddenly and for good, I actually didn't really spend all that much. 

3) The PSPgo was still crippled by something physical: the absurd, expensive, proprietary flash memory. We can talk about digital devices from Sony all day and we also need to talk about their obsession with introducing pointless formats I.e. The mini disc. 

4) Physical games are actually more prone to malfunction or decay and damage over time. I'm surprised you skipped that it is easier to get a win 95 game working digitally than it is physically in fact. 

Don't forget part 4a.)

4a) Physical games are a one only kind of deal. You get one, if it breaks, "screw you buy another one" is all you will hear from the seller or creator. Whereas with digital copies, you can create backups.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I buy way less on amazon now, because my one year free prime membership expired. Oh, well now i am waiting with my purchase to be over 30 € for free shipping.

@Misanthrope 3. Gotta say, I never owned a PSP GO, so I wasn't aware Sony was crazy enough to introduce ANOTHER memory card format just for the thing. I though it was still using the Pro Duo., sorry for that. 

4. It all depends how you treat your goods. I have my NES and SNES right beside me, they were originally purchased by my sister on their release date and they're still in mint condition, not even yellowed. Same for the games I own. 

Sure discs are infinitely more prone to being broken or scratched than something digital but my point remains. 

@Trik'Stari point given. Cannot argue with that. 

It's not the only factor. Serious collectors can mitigate some decay and damage issues sure, but you can never prevent something like a fire, a tornado, a flash flood, etc. One of the principles of digital security is having copies off site and that's exactly what you're doing with a digital collection.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am currently a member of prime, and I can say that this is absolute fucking garbage. This is 100% an exclusivity of a good meant to be sold to everyone, shame on Amazon.

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

@Misanthrope 3. Gotta say, I never owned a PSP GO, so I wasn't aware Sony was crazy enough to introduce ANOTHER memory card format just for the thing. I though it was still using the Pro Duo., sorry for that. 

@Trik'Stari

It was a memory card they used for cellphones. It was widely available for cheap. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Don't forget part 4a.)

4a) Physical games are a one only kind of deal. You get one, if it breaks, "screw you buy another one" is all you will hear from the seller or creator. Whereas with digital copies, you can create backups.

When you don't have to worry about the DRM on the disc as you can circumvent it, a backup copy is easy to make.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

When you don't have to worry about the DRM on the disc as you can circumvent it, a backup copy is easy to make.

Good point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

3. Gotta say, I never owned a PSP GO, so I wasn't aware Sony was crazy enough to introduce ANOTHER memory card format just for the thing. I though it was still using the Pro Duo., sorry for that.

memory stick micro m2, just one o many sony's dick moves

MS-Micro-1G_into-M2-Duo-ada.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Simple bypass:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YQ2MM2M/

Many other sellers that are also have their shipments fulfilled by Amazon. The exclusivity applies to sales directly from Amazon only, and you can bet any AAA title that Amazon makes exclusive to Prime members will have other sellers listing also.

4 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Simple bypass:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YQ2MM2M/

Many other sellers that are also have their shipments fulfilled by Amazon. The exclusivity applies to sales directly from Amazon only, and you can bet any AAA title that Amazon makes exclusive to Prime members will have other sellers listing also.

What's the point if it doesn't include the product code or if the code is already used?

On 22/04/2016 at 1:56 PM, Kickflapper said:

Great site for cheap games

http://www.kinguin.net/category/15836/grand-theft-auto-v-rockstar-digital-download-key/

Got my copy for 30.50 and works great

Great but the article is about physical copies for consoles and not download able games for PC.....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

On 22/04/2016 at 1:54 PM, noisebomb44 said:

Who buys games off of amazon anyway?

That is unless you want the box or something, which are 5% of PC gamers, although i can see why console gamers would be pissed

its not just about games if this spreds to other items then it becomes an issue for all of who use amazon

On 22/04/2016 at 2:27 PM, Memories4K said:

It's their business, they are allowed to operate this way.

There's nothing unethical about it.

On 22/04/2016 at 2:39 PM, Memories4K said:

I beg to differ.

Hooking someone on Prime is a great marketing strategy.

But just my take.

What do you care how well or bad they run their business?

I'd understand if their main inventory was games but they're a business that deals with a wide variety of products.

right, there is so much wrong with your thinking and people like you are why consumers get shafted. the whole "derp, its there store, they can do what they" attiude is so monumentally flawed. why do you think paid mods flopped or xbones "no pre owned games" idea didnt even get out the gate.  we the consumer must make a stand against this kind of bullshit. they are attempting to force prime on people. removing choice form a market is very dangerous, just look at the complete cluster fuck that is the US internet providers.

On 22/04/2016 at 5:57 PM, OptimisticRealist said:

To those that selected "yes"; stol being selfish idjits, games should ALL be exclusively digital except for collector editions.

Why? CHEAPER. Makes VG companies save more money, less plastic is used (and other materials) so enviromental damage is also reduced, and more money means more games or better quality ones.

Also, if you download games you will have them FOREVER, cannot get lost or damage. BE SMART PEOPLE 

sorry but choice is the reason why games shouldnt.  and cheaper...you having a laugh games are the same price digital or physical.

IF, and its a big if, amazon is doing this on a long term basis to gain prime subs, then screw amazon ill go else where. i use amazon alot but £70 upfront for free delivery when they already do free del is just too much. however it seams more like a supply issue then a new strategy 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

19 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

It was a memory card they used for cellphones. It was widely available for cheap

This is outright false: Memory stick PRO Duo are much more expensive than comparative flash memories. Ever since the PSP launched it was infamous for having to buy really fucking expensive memory cards for very little capacity (scroll the graph back to 2011)

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?pu=23376

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

right, there is so much wrong with your thinking and people like you are why consumers get shafted. the whole "derp, its there store, they can do what they" attiude is so monumentally flawed. why do you think paid mods flopped or xbones "no pre owned games" idea didnt even get out the gate.  we the consumer must make a stand against this kind of bullshit. they are attempting to force prime on people. removing choice form a market is very dangerous, just look at the complete cluster fuck that is the US internet providers.

You're an idiot.

It's called capitalism, you don't like the way Amazon operates or their prices?

Shop somewhere else.

Amazon does not have a monopoly on video games that can be bought online, unlike ISPs who we're angry at for different reasons.

Paid mods flopped because Steam and Bethesda took cuts that were bigger for themselves than the modder.

If you won't pay for the mod then don't buy it and vote with your wallet.

I don't know anything about the Xbone.

LOL!

No one is forcing Prime on you, go shop somewhere else.

You're not entitled to anything.

If you simply don't pay and buy elsewhere, and many others do the same, then you'll find that businesses will follow the trend.

That's the beauty of capitalism.

You can operate mostly how you want to as a producer and support mostly whomever you want to as a consumer.

But spare me with the childish entitlement.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

This is outright false: Memory stick PRO Duo are much more expensive than comparative flash memories. Ever since the PSP launched it was infamous for having to buy really fucking expensive memory cards for very little capacity (scroll the graph back to 2011)

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?pu=23376

I'm.not deffering to the pro stick. 

They were talking about the psp go using a new memory format. That was false. It used the m2 memory card which had been used in phones for years before. As a result the card was cheap. As cheap as flash memory? No. But a lot cheaper than pro stick. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

I don't see the big deal. It's still purchasable through several other vendors, even with Prime shipping. We also don't yet know why it's implemented; it could be temporary. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a low-inventory perk for Prime members.

1 hour ago, Memories4K said:

You're an idiot.

It's called capitalism, you don't like the way Amazon operates or their prices?

Shop somewhere else.

Amazon does not have a monopoly on video games that can be bought online, unlike ISPs who we're angry at for different reasons.

Paid mods flopped because Steam and Bethesda took cuts that were bigger for themselves than the modder.

If you won't pay for the mod then don't buy it and vote with your wallet.

I don't know anything about the Xbone.

LOL!

No one is forcing Prime on you, go shop somewhere else.

You're not entitled to anything.

If you simply don't pay and buy elsewhere, and many others do the same, then you'll find that businesses will follow the trend.

That's the beauty of capitalism.

You can operate mostly how you want to as a producer and support mostly whomever you want to as a consumer.

But spare me with the childish entitlement.

amazon is a massive leader in online sale of all products and if this is something they are trialling you think the wont roll it out to other popular products. try thinking long term instead of just the here and now.  oh and why your trying to explain capitalism to me i have no idea, from my own post

we the consumer must make a stand against this kind of bullshit.

i know what capitalism is. i know how it works. your the one condoning there actions.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

What concerns me is that this could spread to other products too

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I'm.not deffering to the pro stick. 

They were talking about the psp go using a new memory format. That was false. It used the m2 memory card which had been used in phones for years before. As a result the card was cheap. As cheap as flash memory? No. But a lot cheaper than pro stick. 

It was not cheap at all and capacities were severely lacking. Please stop trying to change history.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Seems reasonable to me.

It's Amazon's stock and their merchandise so they can sell it to whomever they please. Whether or not this draws customers to other services was probably a well thought out study and Amazon concluded it would be more profitable to make this change of direction.