Amazon is making certain games exclusively purchasable by Prime members only.

TrigrH

What do you think?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is it reasonable on Amazons behalf to restrict physical copies of certain games to Prime members only?

• Yes
    • No

On 24.4.2016 at 4:34 PM, Memories4K said:

You're an idiot.

It's called capitalism, you don't like the way Amazon operates or their prices?

Shop somewhere else.

Amazon does not have a monopoly on video games that can be bought online, unlike ISPs who we're angry at for different reasons.

Paid mods flopped because Steam and Bethesda took cuts that were bigger for themselves than the modder.

If you won't pay for the mod then don't buy it and vote with your wallet.

I don't know anything about the Xbone.

LOL!

No one is forcing Prime on you, go shop somewhere else.

You're not entitled to anything.

If you simply don't pay and buy elsewhere, and many others do the same, then you'll find that businesses will follow the trend.

That's the beauty of capitalism.

You can operate mostly how you want to as a producer and support mostly whomever you want to as a consumer.

But spare me with the childish entitlement.

You, @jaggysnake57 and I clearly have different opinions on this, but why on earth do you get so defensive about it all? Its almost like you work for Amazon, and came up with this whole thing. Calling him an idiot and the in the end following it up with Childish entitlement. Are you incapable of having a sivil discussion about this? Noone has been rude to you, we've all simply been trying to argue our opinion on it, and if you can't have your way of thinking challenged, I'd suggest you stop engaging in discussions all together.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

8 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

You, @jaggysnake57 and I clearly have different opinions on this, but why on earth do you get so defensive about it all? Its almost like you work for Amazon, and came up with this whole thing. Calling him an idiot and the in the end following it up with Childish entitlement. Are you incapable of having a sivil discussion about this? Noone has been rude to you, we've all simply been trying to argue our opinion on it, and if you can't have your way of thinking challenged, I'd suggest you stop engaging in discussions all together.

What's uncivil about what i said when i followed up on it?

Oh boy.

Be careful who you accuse of being an Amazon shill friendo.

Baseless accusations or assumptions only make you look worse when you're making them because of a difference in opinion.

Obviously, nothing is being forced on people but he won't take off his consumer beer goggles long enough to see that.

Maybe idiot is the wrong word, maybe hard-headed or foolish would've been better and if that's the case i do apologize for calling anyone an idiot because the word is supposed to mean something to add to discussion, to show how simple of a solution to a personal problem that wasn't being accepted out of stubbornness this was, not simply be perceived to be some random insult.

It is childish entitlement, there's nothing uncivil about putting attention on the fact that people are crying about a business strategy being put into effect that's completely ethical and people can't be bothered to vote with their wallet and shop elsewhere.

You want to know why i'm coming from the opinion that Amazon can do this and there's nothing wrong with it, it's because the only reason people are mad about this is because they'll now have to pay more for access to goods they want to buy or buy them elsewhere.

Amazon doesn't owe you anything, but people think they are entitled to access everything.

No one sacks CostCo. or Sam's for having membership exclusive goods and services, and for good reason: There's nothing wrong with businesses requiring a membership for goods and services people want to buy. It's not a bad business strategy because it's already been working very well in other markets.

The fact that you think that me having a different opinion from you means i'm being defensive of my own character (Of course, i'm going to defend my position on a subject so that's the only other thing you must mean i'm being defensive about) or am incapable of being challenged only shows that you're incapable of being challenged.

There's nothing wrong with shining light on short leaps or displaying holes in reasoning, if you believe that it is uncivil to point out any wrongs then i suggest maturing and learning how to make better arguments.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

14 hours ago, Memories4K said:

What's uncivil about what i said when i followed up on it?

Oh boy.

Be careful who you accuse of being an Amazon shill friendo.

Baseless accusations or assumptions only make you look worse when you're making them because of a difference in opinion.

Obviously, nothing is being forced on people but he won't take off his consumer beer goggles long enough to see that.

Maybe idiot is the wrong word, maybe hard-headed or foolish would've been better and if that's the case i do apologize for calling anyone an idiot because the word is supposed to mean something to add to discussion, to show how simple of a solution to a personal problem that wasn't being accepted out of stubbornness this was, not simply be perceived to be some random insult.

It is childish entitlement, there's nothing uncivil about putting attention on the fact that people are crying about a business strategy being put into effect that's completely ethical and people can't be bothered to vote with their wallet and shop elsewhere.

You want to know why i'm coming from the opinion that Amazon can do this and there's nothing wrong with it, it's because the only reason people are mad about this is because they'll now have to pay more for access to goods they want to buy or buy them elsewhere.

Amazon doesn't owe you anything, but people think they are entitled to access everything.

No one sacks CostCo. or Sam's for having membership exclusive goods and services, and for good reason: There's nothing wrong with businesses requiring a membership for goods and services people want to buy. It's not a bad business strategy because it's already been working very well in other markets.

The fact that you think that me having a different opinion from you means i'm being defensive of my own character (Of course, i'm going to defend my position on a subject so that's the only other thing you must mean i'm being defensive about) or am incapable of being challenged only shows that you're incapable of being challenged.

There's nothing wrong with shining light on short leaps or displaying holes in reasoning, if you believe that it is uncivil to point out any wrongs then i suggest maturing and learning how to make better arguments.

All you are doing now is twisting my words. I did not accuse or assume anything, I said what I said because you seem so convinced that you are right and everyone elses opinion doesn't matter at all. The only thing I thought was uncivil is calling someone an idiot. and spare you of what childish entitlement? There is nothing here that is childish, we're all arguing our opinion, and I for one don't have any issues having my opinion challenged infact I like having my opinion and way of thinking challenged. I do have an issue though when it seems people can't accept I or someone else have a different opinion then themselves. And you can defend yourself and be as defensive as you'd like, what I mean by defensive is that you went as far as attacking someone by calling someone an idiot and on that note hard-headed and foolish is still an attack in my book, Because all of those are implying someone who is stupid and/or ignorant, and both of those are negatively charged words usally/often used for an insult. And insults has nothing to do in a discussion when aiming them at a single person or a group of people. No one here is stupid or ignorant.

I don't shop at amazon but I know there are people that does, those are the people that will be annoyed or angry at this shit. I do shop at steam for instance and if steam started doing this to some or all games, I'd get seriously annoyed, and if you use steam I'm guessing so would you. How will you feel when companies figures that "Hey, this is a brilliant way to make more money" and in the end 99% of companies have some kind of membership or whatever that you will need to get to buy some or all of their products? Because it could potentially end there if people keep saying this is okay. This is the same as raising the price really, so why don't they just raise the price instead? Simply put, in many cases they are not allowed to because of the producer have given them a set price to sell it for. For instance here in Norway if you wanna go an buy Sonos sound system, it doesn't matter where you go, because Sonos has given the salesmen a set price, that they have to follow, they can't lower it or higher it unless the guys that make Sonos says its okay. What Amazon could potentially be doing here is using a loophole, and a dirty one at that, to raise the price on certain products they're not allowed to.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

4 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

All you are doing now is twisting my words. I did not accuse or assume anything, I said what I said because you seem so convinced that you are right and everyone elses opinion doesn't matter at all. The only thing I thought was uncivil is calling someone an idiot. and spare you of what childish entitlement? There is nothing here that is childish, we're all arguing our opinion, and I for one don't have any issues having my opinion challenged infact I like having my opinion and way of thinking challenged. I do have an issue though when it seems people can't accept I or someone else have a different opinion then themselves. And you can defend yourself and be as defensive as you'd like, what I mean by defensive is that you went as far as attacking someone by calling someone an idiot and on that note hard-headed and foolish is still an attack in my book, Because all of those are implying someone who is stupid and/or ignorant, and both of those are negatively charged words usally/often used for an insult. And insults has nothing to do in a discussion when aiming them at a single person or a group of people. No one here is stupid or ignorant.

It's called Discourse.

Or rather, having your opinion challenged.

What am i even replying to right now? hahahaha

I'd make the argument that even if i did intend to baselessly insult him, which i didn't, it would still not make me "defensive" at all, but i'd rather not stray from the relevant topic.

Well you can rest easy at night knowing that while you believe it is usually and/or often used as an insult, it was not in this case.

"Negatively-charged words" give me a break, you can't handle having your opinion challenged and having other people know that you're not seeing as much information as them (ergo, ignorant. Your words, not mine). There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, you can always apply yourself to come out of your comfort zone and learn.

4 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

I don't shop at amazon but I know there are people that does, those are the people that will be annoyed or angry at this shit. I do shop at steam for instance and if steam started doing this to some or all games, I'd get seriously annoyed, and if you use steam I'm guessing so would you. How will you feel when companies figures that "Hey, this is a brilliant way to make more money" and in the end 99% of companies have some kind of membership or whatever that you will need to get to buy some or all of their products? Because it could potentially end there if people keep saying this is okay. This is the same as raising the price really, so why don't they just raise the price instead? Simply put, in many cases they are not allowed to because of the producer have given them a set price to sell it for. For instance here in Norway if you wanna go an buy Sonos sound system, it doesn't matter where you go, because Sonos has given the salesmen a set price, that they have to follow, they can't lower it or higher it unless the guys that make Sonos says its okay. What Amazon could potentially be doing here is using a loophole, and a dirty one at that, to raise the price on certain products they're not allowed to.

Good.

Let them be angry out of foolish pride and entitlement.

Ya know what's funny, is that Linus and Luke had this very conversation on WAN show about a year ago, i believe. (I'm afraid i can't link it, i don't remember but you being on LinusKekTips.com you've possibly seen the same WAN show)

While many people would feel disgruntled, Linus and Luke the same, most people seemed to agree that they would still pay for Steam given that they as consumers would deem it worthy or else they would shop for games at other retailers elsewhere.

On that topic, ask yourself if LMG started only uploading content exclusively to Vessel.

Would you complain on the forums or to LMG about that, if that decision were to be made?

Would you feel entitled to the content LMG creates and be bitter about it being behind a membership instead of an ad-viewing/supporting platform with no membership?

That is childish entitlement.

And you know what?

There's even people who were complaining about the fact videos are being uploaded 1 week early on Vessel before being uploaded on YouTube.

Now LMG wouldn't do this, the reality is that LMG would not survive with this method because the majority demographic that watches their videos (also, getting this from a video about 3 years ago, if i remember correctly, of Linus explaining who his audience was at the time) seems to be young teenage boys.

Don't usually want to/have the money to use on things like Vessel.

How would i feel?

I live in the U.S. so i'd feel great knowing competition is the name of the game.

See the way capitalism works is that it would never happen because one membership will ultimately offer me far more value than another. Thanks to local business being a thing, monopolies on things such as groceries will be impossible because local business always strive to compete with big-box stores in their respective regions.

The failing business will either have to go bankrupt or change their methods to better satisfy the consumer.

Let's take CostCo. for example. ( I love CostCo. I hate Wal-Mart)

CostCo. requires me to have a membership to purchase certain goods and services.

They maximize profits while also appealing to the consumer.

This is not CostCo. forcing a membership onto the consumer, the consumer is free to shop elsewhere.

Maybe in your country you have that fear due to political decisions your country has made and are responsible for that led to this fear, but in mine we don't have that fear. If you see it as simple as raising the price then why don't you stop shopping there? A membership is not simply a way to access goods and services, those goods and services usually come at a very competitive price, with other benefits, which is why the consumer has to ask themselves if it is worth it to buy said membership.

If you shop at a certain place so often that you could save $250 or more a year by buying a membership, wouldn't you do it?

Now i want to make it very clear.

What i am about to say, i say with all deserved respect to you as a member and as an individual.

Meaning what i'm about to say reflects little to nothing on you.

Your country sounds like a bunch of cucks. (Not an insult. In no way am i intending this to be an attack. I am simply inferring that Norway operates very much like that of a cuckold based on what was given)

We don't do that here.

Retailers set their own prices as they see fit, it's called supply and demand.

To maximize profits businesses will find a price that is high enough to make the most profit while also clearing out their inventory. (Which can change depending on the year. Discounts on winter jackets in the summer, and price hikes on products that are popular by trend)

I keep telling you that everything Amazon is doing is completely ethical and legal here.

If in your country, Amazon has a base of operations and has violated some kind of law or regulation then you should take these concerns to where they need to be addressed.

Then either Amazon will rectify the problems ONLY in your country or leave your country altogether voiding any of their services and goods to be used by anyone living in Norway. (They'd make more money by still operating in Norway, so i'm banking on the former)

"If you ain't first, you're last"