Proposed UK act will force all companies to incorporate backdoors into their end-to-end encrypted products

Balde

Once again the UK government wants to increase it's snooping powers into our everyday lives. Not to be outdone by the FBI, the UK government is attempting to force all major messengers to add backdoors to most major messengers.

The Government said that it had re-written the law to respond to concerns about the weakening of encryption, and that it would no longer force them to weaken encryption. It will only force companies to weaken security that they themselves applied, for instance.

But the new law could still force companies to install backdoors in their security, undermining the technology used in many of the most popular chat apps.

The new policy is buried within a draft code of practice document

"[Companies] subject to a technical capability notice must notify the Government of new products and services in advance of their launch, in order to allow consideration of whether it is necessary and proportionate to require the [company] to provide a technical capability on the new service," the policy document reads.

Sources:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-spy-bill-will-force-tech-firms-to-disclose-future-products-before-launch/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-uk-spying-bill-forces-apple-google-to-decrypt-phones-tablets/

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/uk-spying-laws-uk-government-introduces-law-requiring-whatsapp-and-imessage-to-be-broken-a6905106.html

Proposed Act:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/504234/Interception_draft_code_of_practice.PDF

uh oh

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Right, I'm out of this country. Goodbye.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

i guess my plan to move to Japan will have to be accelerated then :P

I lurk a lot

also i was gunna read the proposed law that you linked but fuck reading 101 pages of that :P

I lurk a lot

Just now, mikat said:

i'm pretty sure they make laws and ToSs that long on purpose, so you don't read them.

yeah that wouldn't surprise me  tbh i mean only the insane law buffs have the patience to do that 

I lurk a lot

11 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

And it will get through because us brits are god awful at protesting things. 

Actually, you don't try at all most of the time. Sad, isn't it?

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Yeah. The most pro-active we get is getting up from the sofa to top up our tea while we are watching BBC news droning on about it. 

9 minutes ago, peej said:

yeah that wouldn't surprise me  tbh i mean only the insane law buffs have the patience to do that 

Or the training to actually understand how various laws work. Lots of other industries do this too - they use complicated terms to keep the general public from being aware of what's going on. Like the banking industry for example. 

Sorry to my friends across the pond. This is not good.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

1 minute ago, mikat said:

canada looks like an all round good option, only thing is: the canadian rupee :P

ah well I guess I'll be rich in candadian money.

That just proves the widely adopted assumption that we are the 'lapdog; of the USA 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

One part of me wants this to go into the shredder.

The other part of me wants this to go trough only to have every single dirty little government secret becoming exposed and then watch them crumble because of their own fucking stupidity by passing this act.

Ye ole' train

49 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

As a nation we ceased to give a fuck sometime ago. At best we can muster mild indignation, before returning to our TV & alcohol induced stupor. Maybe we're just realistic, they are going to do it whatever we say, as there is another 4 years before we have a chance at voting them out (assuming the EU referendum doesn't cause the Tory party to completely implode). It won't matter so much in 4 years as by that time they'll be proposing something far worse. And we're only one more air travel related terrorist attack way from having to show up to the airport naked, no luggage, so a backdoor in to a few chat apps will seem like no biggie by comparison.

We did get a plan for ID cards scrapped, but that was far closer to an election than this is, and we were mostly complaining about the cost, not that we didn't want the UK turning into 1970's East Germany.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

As a nation we ceased to give a fuck sometime ago. At best we can muster mild indignation, before returning to our TV & alcohol induced stupor. Maybe we're just realistic, they are going to do it whatever we say, as there is another 4 years before we have a chance at voting them out (assuming the EU referendum doesn't cause the Tory party to completely implode). It won't matter so much in 4 years as by that time they'll be proposing something far worse. And we're only one more air travel related terrorist attack way from having to show up to the airport naked, no luggage, so a backdoor in to a few chat apps will seem like no biggie by comparison.

We did get a plan for ID cards scrapped, but that was far closer to an election than this is, and we were mostly complaining about the cost, not that we didn't want the UK turning into 1970's East Germany.

Ah, alcohol stupor is my favourite past time. But back on topic, last time I went throw heathrow I had to basically go through a body scanner xray machine thingy so yeah, no need to turn up naked as they are already past that.

This government is intent on destroying their 2020 chances. Almost everything they've done has blown-up in their faces this term.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

This government is intent on destroying their 2020 chances. Almost everything they've done has blown-up in their faces this term.

I think they are assuming Jeremy is unelectable, and that those 50-odd Scottish SNP seats will remain so and not return to Labour. It may well not be the case, but it has emboldened them to do whatever tickles their Tory fancy. Of course with only a wafer thin majority and the EU Ref causing a deep divide in the Tory party, call me Dave may well struggle to get anything at all done in the next 4 years anyway.

Also, back on topic, every time a terrorist attack happens our politicians say 'we can't let them win, we can't let them change our way of life', and then they go and legislate to change our way of life. But both of the main parties do this, so what can you do? Alas the Monster Raving Loony Party only runs in a handful of constituencies. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

-snip-

Recent events have take their toll on their popularity. I hope this trend continues.

Party Polling 2016 April.png

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL