AMD to provide Polaris Hardware to Apple and New PS4

Paragon_X

According to Various sources on the net. AMD will supply Polaris hardware to Apple and PS 4.5

AMD's Polaris GPUs look set to be very popular if various news reports published earlier today pan out. Firstly AMD has"secured wins" for Polaris chips to go into new Apple Mac desktops and laptops, reports WCCF Tech. Secondly AMD will supply a Polaris GPU with 2,304 stream processors to Sony for the PlayStation 4.5 /PS4K, reports TechPowerUp.

I called it :D Seems AMD is gonna have a nice year in 2017 if they don't screw up ZEN.

WCCF Tech says that its sources have "confirmed" that AMD has secured a major contract win to supply GPUs to Apple for its desktop and laptop computers. "Both of its upcoming Radeon 400 series 14nm FinFET graphics chips, Polaris 10 and Polaris 11" will be snapped up by Apple to provide its iMacs and MacBooks with energy efficient graphics acceleration, says the source.

I wont be surprised if in 2017 Apple will start using some Zen APUs for its products.

The article also mentions that there might be 480 is the new PS4 Neo, this might actually atlast bring enough performance for some beefy graphics on consoles.

According to TPU's information dissection the GPU "sounds an awful lot like the specs of the Polaris 10 'Ellesmere' chip in its Radeon R9 480 configuration". It is notable that the stream processor count will be double that of the PS4 currently on the market. Furthermore the new SoC is rumoured to have a 256-bit GDDR5 memory interface with 8GB of memory increasing system memory bandwidth from 176GB/s to 218GB/s.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

1 minute ago, Paragon_X said:

According to Various sources on the net. AMD will supply Polaris hardware to Apple and PS 4.5

I called it :D Seems AMD is gonna have a nice year in 2017 if they don't screw up ZEN.

I wont be surprised if in 2017 Apple will start using some Zen APUs for its products.

Seriously...? Don't trust WCCF unless you can find another source that DOESNT QUOTE WCCF in the article.

I do want to see what apple and Sony do with them though.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, Brink2Three said:

Seriously...? Don't trust WCCF unless you can find another source that DOESNT QUOTE WCCF in the article.

I do want to see what apple and Sony do with them though.

It seats pretty nice though, Its a logical move. AMD has partnered with apple in the last generations of their products. With all the improvements they introduced with Polaris i dont see why apple would not want the cheaper product with probably really good performance.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

1 minute ago, Paragon_X said:

It seats pretty nice though, Its a logical move. AMD has partnered with apple in the last generations of their products. With all the improvements they introduced with Polaris i dont see why apple would not want the cheaper product with probably really good performance.

I would LOVE to see Apple break away from Intel as the CPU provider as well. But there are also speculations that Apple will be making their own CPUs for the Macbook Air. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Why the hell don't they just call is a PS5. This naming scheme is retarded, it just shows how stupid the console makers were for not making it powerful enough in the first place.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Why the hell don't they just call is a PS5. This naming scheme is retarded, it just shows how stupid the console makers were for not making it powerful enough in the first place.

But that would mean that they would be kind of making a new console , which would make console users their precious potato has been discontinued , and sony doesn't want them to think that . And it will be maintaining compatibility with PS4 , so technically  it isn't a full new generation

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

But that would mean that they would be kind of making a new console , which would make console users their precious potato has been discontinued , and sony doesn't want them to think that . And it will be maintaining compatibility with PS4 , so technically  it isn't a full new generation

Implementing and making 'backwards compatibility' the main selling point along with better hardware would work.

9 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

I would LOVE to see Apple break away from Intel as the CPU provider as well.

That would make apple worse than it already is...

intel CPUs are great because their iris pro graphics are better than anything on the market and their CPUs are very power efficient

they also have far better core performance than AMD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, byalexandr said:

Implementing and making 'backwards compatibility' the main selling point along with better hardware would work.

but don't forget the ps4 has to be able to play ps4.5 games , making it more than simple backwards compatibility , and probably a headache for devs.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

but don't forget the ps4 has to be able to play ps4.5 games , making it more than simple backwards compatibility , and probably a headache for devs.

That's why this was stupid in the first place :)

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

intel CPUs are great because their irios pro graphics are better than anything on the market and their CPUs are very power efficient

IF AMD can pull off a mobile chip as powerful as the Intel chips... We wouldn't want Apple laptops to get worse... :P

Seriously though, I want that to be a competition. Not my 5 year old i3 still keeping up with their "top of the line" FX series. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

"AMD has secured wins"

I wouldn't call selling your chip at or below cost a win. Apple's Mac Pro is such an epic performance per dollar device because AMD is selling them their workstation cards for dirt cheap while consumers pay a more honest price for them.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

intel CPUs are great because their iris pro graphics are better than anything on the market and their CPUs are very power efficient

As it stands now i totally agree on the CPU front. But its all about Zen, thats why i said if the dont screw it.

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

That's why this was stupid in the first place :)

if only there was a way to agree with a post multiple times ...

The whole idea of an "upgraded" console is stupid in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

That's the latest rumors. Games released after october 2016 will need to feature two "modes", normal mode and NEO mode which would be the newer console. Game won't be able to release without the base mode and can't split the user base between them. 

http://kotaku.com/more-details-emerge-on-ps4-5-which-reportedly-wont-get-1771708549

1 minute ago, dmegatool said:

That's the latest rumors. Games released after october 2016 will need to feature two "modes", normal mode and NEO mode which would be the newer console. Game won't be able to release without the base mode and can't split the user base between them. 

http://kotaku.com/more-details-emerge-on-ps4-5-which-reportedly-wont-get-1771708549

yes . And we can expect console optimization to suffer , as they will now have multiple hardware configurations to deal with . That and sony probably kneecapping the ps4 as hard as it can to push people to get the new model.

34 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

yes . And we can expect console optimization to suffer , as they will now have multiple hardware configurations to deal with . That and sony probably kneecapping the ps4 as hard as it can to push people to get the new model.

Agreed. They're fragmenting the userbase no matter what.

Even if Sony forces Devs to make games compatible with the PS4 and the "Neo", the PS4 will inevitably run worse, probably a lot worse. Devs won't be able to optimize as well, because they'll now have to split their time optimizing for two configs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This could help AMD a ton ! Even more so if it kicks Xboxes ass in the performance department :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

This could help AMD a ton ! Even more so if it kicks Xboxes ass in the performance department :)

and even the ps4. Optimization will be shit now.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

and even the ps4. Optimization will be shit now.

I think new PS is aimed at higher end market (upscaled 1080 to 4K) and VR. 

PS4 is not the hot console with all the latest and greatest releases so yeah it will keep falling behind and probably be the 2nd  in the line when it comes to Sony's focus. 

I don't blame them, it might suck for all PS4 owners but be honest, everyone knew how behind of PC the console were before they even came out. AMD they were pretty cheap. I'm sure 4.5 will cost more, no doubt but it won't be $999. My guess is around $199 more than current gen.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It is going to be interesting. If AMD can win over apple, they can get a whole lot of volume through, issue might be that apple end up taking to much..

For PS4 and PS4.5/K or whatever they decide to call it, very much doubt they will change a whole lot to the hardware configuration. Twice as many SP (and this is with improved architecture), and it would obviously have to be a zen APU (if polaris is presented), seems like a little to much change meanwhile trying to sustain backwards compatibility with older hardware. 

52 minutes ago, Suika said:

"AMD has secured wins"

I wouldn't call selling your chip at or below cost a win. Apple's Mac Pro is such an epic performance per dollar device because AMD is selling them their workstation cards for dirt cheap while consumers pay a more honest price for them.

You know AMDs cost for manufacturing their chips? You know the deal apple and AMD went through?

You are also not just selling chips, but support for drivers (and perhaps allow the costumer to do some custom things with your drivers) and more.

It is not going to be like AMD is going to see huge profit per individual chip sold to apple, but the overall partnership will be a big plus to their finances.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

May be the new Playstation will run the same games at 60fps. It won't fragment the market and developers job isn't gonna be that much harder.

WCCFTech, the only place where AMD and nVidia fanpeople drill each other in the butthole.

A better GPU may be nice but if Sony stick with their low-shit CPu, it won't help them any better.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed. They're fragmenting the userbase no matter what.

Even if Sony forces Devs to make games compatible with the PS4 and the "Neo", the PS4 will inevitably run worse, probably a lot worse. Devs won't be able to optimize as well, because they'll now have to split their time optimizing for two configs.

How hard is it? On PC devs do a much more complicated job of optimizing for much more different combos.

The new PS4 Neo GPU is supposed to be as powerful as an R9 390. While the old PS4 is the equivalent of a 7870.

Is it really that difficult to have two different graphical presets. If a dev does not want to really take advantage of the new GPU they can just can use the same assets, and they can just have the PS4 Neo run everything at 1080p 60fps and use some high quality anti-aliasing / post-processing.

Probably the CPU enhancements will be more difficult to take advantage of. Because if you start having more things on screen, more AI, more physics etc it becomes more difficult to scale that down to regular PS4.