Quantum Break - V-Sync fix confirmed, but no Multi GPU

This morning, Quantum Break developer Remedy posted a status update on Quantum Break, outlining what will be fixed and what won't. I've typed a summary of important issues below.

General Performance Issues & Stuttering - This will be fixed in an update "coming in the near future". Most likely within a week or two.

V-sync, G-sync, and Freesync - Microsoft will be enabling UWP support for Variable Refresh Rate Technology "in May". The update will likely be in 3 to 6 weeks.

Graphics settings - Many users complained about the mandatory film grain, and now Remedy has confirmed they are adding more graphical options in "a future update". 

Render Technique - For those who don't know, Quantum Break uses a non-native render resolution. Simply put,

the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. 

This will remain the only option for rendering, much to the disappointment of the many players hoping for the ability to render in their PC's native resolution. Non-native render resolution results in the game appearing hazy and unrealistic. Below is an example image demonstrating this issue.

k2enly.jpg

Multi GPU Support - Remedy has announced that there will be no Multi-GPU support, stating that due to the engine architecture described above, "the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break."

Opinion - This is just another example of a developer, Remedy, being held back by their choice to develop for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP). I doubt that after this news, coupled with the game's poor launch, this game will do well on PC. What Microsoft is trying to do with UWP and the Windows Store is holding back developers without giving them any benefits. Unless Microsoft makes major changes to UWP, it will remain restrictive and unadvantageous, and will fail. It looks to me like the UWP is just Games for Windows Live all over again.

Source: http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-status-update

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

It's all part of MS master plan to go "See, PC gamers don't buy games." The other problem is their consoles aren't selling either. At this point, someone would have to try really hard to convince that MS isn't trying to kill off the xbox brand.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The state of game development these days just blows my mind. Multi-GPU support and uncapped framerates should be STANDARD. SLI/Crossfire and HFR monitors are no longer new, emerging technologies with low adoption rates. If writing games to run on pretty common hardware is too challenging for you, you probably shouldn't be in game development.

50 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

k2enly.jpg

If you want to make that comparison you have to use a constant screen size, the guy in QB is much farther away from the camera than the guy in crysis and its zoomed in less

by comparison an XB1 screenshot

jpg

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Well, major changes to UWP are indeed needed. Good they announced some crucial features they'll support soon. Though hopefully it doesn't have restrictions in the end.
Sadly game development isn't being done FOR PC lately, so sad. This crap porting needs to stop.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This would be cool if we were talking about an indie developer. These things should be STANDARD in a game that is out on PC. You either ship a complete and decent product or you don't even bother. The fact that they are getting away with this blows my mind.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Sadly game development isn't being done FOR PC lately, so sad. This crap porting needs to stop.

it still is. its just major publishers (not even all of them) pushing shit ports and shit platforms.

OT:

" The update will likely be in 3 to 6 weeks. "

this is enough time for people to forget about this game. shot right in the foot. goddamn.

why ship a game on a platform that is clearly inferior to everything else? (UWP)

great launch microsoft, did not disappoint; exactly what I expected.

I really hope MS can fix all the issues with games going forwards, now they are starting to understand the requirements of PC games and can force the devs to do the same

Imagine getting all xbox exclusives on PC, dream come true

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We've had the technology for multi-gpu support since what, you could SLI (the 3DFX one) since what, 1998? With a pair of Voodoo's? And the modern SLI interface since what, 2004? CrossFire came into existence in 2005, 11 years ago. 11 fucking years.

So how is it that most developers are still a bunch of lazy fucks with no intentions to support multiple GPU setups? Is it because of the lousy console ports that were made "just because we have a PC version then but that's about it"? Look at Tomb Raider (the 2013 reboot). That game has almost perfect SLI scaling (as Linus's GPU benchmarking has shown over the years) with double the GPUs meaning (almost) double the fps. 

Remedy has announced that there will be no Multi-GPU support, stating that due to the engine architecture described above, "the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break."

This only shows you have a crappy engine with an even crappier port, nothing more.

Ye ole' train

17 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

k2enly.jpg

This image is bullshit period.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Maybe you should have done this before rather than in "a future update", heck you could have done better by waiting till may and releasing the game then only. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Didn't MS said that DX12 would handle multi GPU configuration in a serial way instead of parallel, and that it would avoid any further problems with such configurations ?

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

Just now, IhazHedont said:

Didn't MS said that DX12 would handle multi GPU configuration in a serial way instead of parallel, and that it would avoid any further problems with such configurations ?

DX12 and Vulkan are explicit APIs which make the above possible. However each dev needs to do the work to make it happen in their game engine. It's no longer the responsibility for AMD/Nvidia to create profiles and push them via driver updates. The devs have the control and visibility to do it now.

In this case however; universal windows platform does not support multi-GPU. This makes it not worthwhile for the dev to waste their time implementing crossfire/SLI unless Microsoft allows them to also sell the game on steam, gog, origin etc...