Microsoft adds QR codes to the Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death

Arty

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11412906/microsoft-windows-10-blue-screen-of-death-qr-code

bsodwindows10.0.0.jpg

Microsoft is adding QR codes to its Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). It's the biggest change to the BSOD since the software maker removed a lot of crash details in Windows 8 and replaced them with a frowning face. The new QR codes are featured in the latest preview of Windows 10, which will debut this summer as the Anniversary Update.

Microsoft is using the QR codes to help support technicians identify error codes in the blue screens, and for Windows 10 users to quickly scan them from a phone to find support articles and assistance. BSOD's have often been complicated to understand, and at times difficult to use to identify the root cause of an issue, but this simplified approach could help Windows 10 users troubleshoot any system issues. Steve Ballmer would be proud.

I Think it's great

they probably need to increase the time it's on tthe screen tho.

Maybe this will let people more independent. and actually try and find and fix the problem selves. 

Instead of "my computer crashed" " i got blue screen Help".  since people can't read very well apparently, and a qr code is "familiar" with people nowadays.  since it takes straight to MS help page for that specific code. 

Handy...

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

QR code  :) 

Click it if you can not scan it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

or. or. or. you know, they could just post the error code there? no ok then thanks a load.

they do give the error code, but as you can see a lot of people just ignore it. (it is still there). 

Just now, Arty said:

they do give the error code, but as you can see a lot of people just ignore it. (it is still there). 

huh i thougt it was gone, cuz i didnt notice when my computer BSODd last time, thanks then :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

cool I guess

but just make sure, wasn't the BSOD replaced with Blue Screen of Smiley Face like in Windows 8?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

31 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

QR code  :) 

Click it if you can not scan it.

How do you scan it ? I actually got a n S6. But IDk how to scan QR codes

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Computers automatically restart after a BSOD though, so I don't know how many people are going to be able to get out their phone, unlock it, open their QR code reader app, and scan the QR code before the computer restarts. Still, it's an interesting idea.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Computers automatically restart after a BSOD though, so I don't know how many people are going to be able to get out their phone, unlock it, open their QR code reader app, and scan the QR code before the computer restarts. Still, it's an interesting idea.

They could configure it not to automatically restart silly goose.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, Ramamataz said:

But then they might as well just use event viewer to view the same crash data that would have been encoded in the QR code, except that they would have had to change the setting before it crashed.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

old people arent always tech savvy, bae. :P

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

I laughed when I read it was the biggest update since they took out important info and added a frown face

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

26 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Except that option is buried in the settings menu and is set to "restart automatically" by default.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

48 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Yeah, I wish they added a feature to manually restart after a memory dump is complete, like "Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart".

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Something to note... this was NOT announced by Microsoft, that means that there is no guarantee that it will be there. The feature is under test and consideration stage right now.

54 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

But then they might as well just use event viewer to view the same crash data that would have been encoded in the QR code, except that they would have had to change the setting before it crashed.

You don't have the nice BSOD error code. You need to pull out a program like BSOD reader.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You don't have the nice BSOD error code. You need to pull out a program like BSOD reader.

Really? Well surely then that would be a better place to improve, or some other easy way to get access to the error code (ideally with fairly simple explanations of what the error can mean, and links to troubleshooting tools) so that you don't have to use a QR code that will display for 10 seconds then never appear again. Maybe this change is just one of many improvements that they are making to the BSOD, but I somehow doubt it.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, Ramamataz said:

How do you scan it ? I actually got a n S6. But IDk how to scan QR codes

there is apps

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Odd using qr code for such. There are better ways to handle BSOD OS crash report etc. Detailed informative report after restart, links and such.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So Microsoft is sliding anyone who doesn't have a smartphone?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

25 minutes ago, Energycore said:

There is still an error code as usual. This just adds another way to quickly find out what it is.

35 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You still have the BSOD error message.

The QR code gets you to the Microsoft website page directly for the BSOD or some help page, whichever Microsoft decides,

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Gotcha. I still would like the entire dump we got on Windows 7 because it looks more dramatic than the sad emote in '10

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

While it is nice that Microsoft is trying to make figuring out blue screen errors easier for the average user, I believe using QR codes is a dumb idea from a security point of view. I have learned in pen testing class at school how to make fake QR codes to allow me to take over phones. If a hacker gets into your windows box or even takes over the web browser they can just display a fake blue screen to trick the user into compromising their phone.

I hope they would let me at the enterprise level use the old blue screen to avoid this.