HTC Announces the HTC 10

DocSwag
1 hour ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, personally I would´ve been fine with a 1080p screen. Would´ve made the battery last a little longer.

I agree. The resolutions on phones are starting to get pretty absurd. I'm not convinced anyone can really tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p or 4K on a <6" screen. Having an OLED display would be a huge upgrade over an LCD screen though.

3 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, personally I would´ve been fine with a 1080p screen. Would´ve made the battery last a little longer.

Dont forget the much higher GPU performance when running at a lower res

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Well, I will have to decide between this and the next Nexus.  If the Nexus has OLED--going for that, given the specs will likely be the same and the skin will be true stock.  

3 hours ago, TheOrdix said:

Yay, and there is again a phone with a giant screen so noone can use it one handed. Great

I have a 5.2" phone right now, and it's one of the most comfortable-feeling phones I've ever used, even one-handed. I'll gladly take another 5.2" phone.

So the HTC flagship has gained a useless 1440p screen and has lost one of its best features, the front facing stereo speakers. Fabulous.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

22 minutes ago, Agost said:

So the HTC flagship has gained a useless 1440p screen and has lost one of its best features, the front facing stereo speakers. Fabulous.

It still has one front facing speaker. The other one is now on the side.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

One thing that was a big miss for me on this (Have the M8) was the front speakers, I love them a lot and I wish it was water resistant. But the speakers was what I loved most about the phone and I don't know if I want the 10 now since it lacked 2 features I really wanted, but there is still hope with the camera, if that is even good at all but if its not. I will for sure be moving to the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

I like the front because it has that curved glass, but the back is pretty ugly. I'm sure it'll look better in real life, but it's still not as beautiful as the M7/8 imo. The specs look great and the software-side is really clean. It'll be interesting to see if the battery can last for more than a day (like with a 6S Plus with moderate use).

other bit of news: M10 has support for ApplePay and AndroidPay

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Agost said:

1440p is a minimum requirement for VR. 

10 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

1440p is a minimum requirement for VR. 

I don't think the HTC 10 has any accessories to take advantage of that.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

31 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

What when where why how?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

53 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

What when where why how?

what: exactly what i said

when: now

where: here http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/12/htc-10-airplay-android/

why: why not

how: Apple and HTC licensing agreement i presume 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

You mean Airplay? not ApplePay..

3 minutes ago, atrash said:

You mean Airplay? not ApplePay..

yeah, that one

Yay another phone variant I may or may not switch to when needed cuz I have had my HTC One M7 since mid 2014, but honestly, I think it is time I switched to a new phone, while this one is good, I don't think it can handle the usage scenarios I have it under, and this thing heats up like hell when it runs for over 20 minutes with full brightness (I can hold it when it is at its highest temps, but it causes such discomfort I'd rather drop it in ice).

Also I would rather they kept using 1080P until they had new battery tech that allows for at least as long as the usage time of older HTC One's with the 1440p cuz I eat through the battery on this phone like crazy (I can run the battery down to like 30% in 3 hours flat) and since these do not (maybe) use quick charging technology in the M7 it takes me until 5 in the morning to recharge it (might be cuz I have music running for an hour)

The one thing that I never understand is how they price phones now, I got my HTC One M7 before the prices jumped up, at like 200$ I would think is the original price, but now some phones are costing me as much as 2 PC Components or so maybe even 3, why is it they jumped so high so fast?

They call it the ten, but it doesn't run windows 10!? Disappoint 

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

37 minutes ago, Elementtt said:

Yay another phone variant I may or may not switch to when needed cuz I have had my HTC One M7 since mid 2014, but honestly, I think it is time I switched to a new phone, while this one is good, I don't think it can handle the usage scenarios I have it under, and this thing heats up like hell when it runs for over 20 minutes with full brightness (I can hold it when it is at its highest temps, but it causes such discomfort I'd rather drop it in ice).

Also I would rather they kept using 1080P until they had new battery tech that allows for at least as long as the usage time of older HTC One's with the 1440p cuz I eat through the battery on this phone like crazy (I can run the battery down to like 30% in 3 hours flat) and since these do not (maybe) use quick charging technology in the M7 it takes me until 5 in the morning to recharge it (might be cuz I have music running for an hour)

The one thing that I never understand is how they price phones now, I got my HTC One M7 before the prices jumped up, at like 200$ I would think is the original price, but now some phones are costing me as much as 2 PC Components or so maybe even 3, why is it they jumped so high so fast?

Lots of wrong assumptions you have there

You're assuming it has poor battery life when there are other things in play that also impact battery life. The Snapdragon 820 is more efficient than previous chips, allowing for better battery life. LCD panels are also getting better resulting in less power draw at the same brightness.

This phone supports QC 3.0 which is the fastest quick charging from Qualcomm, much faster than the non QC in the M7. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review/3

The MSRP of the was $599. Your $200 price was most likely subsidized on contract. http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-one-m7-1131862/review

Looks quite solid really. Would like to test that UltraPixel camera in low light. Though as far as BoomSound odd to see one front speaker and second one on side.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Low power DDR4. Holy shit.

Wonder when we will be seeing HBM used in phones o.O

Apple better not fucking do it and claim it was their idea first

Apple has been using Low Power DDR4 since October 2015

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Looks better than I expected it to, though I'm not a big fan of the mega chamfers. I also retain the opinion that every phone SHOULD have (real) stereo speakers by now, but at least they put more thought into it than "just slap a speaker somewhere, nobody actually uses them".

If this was out a month ago I probably would have gotten it over the Galaxy S7 (though I probably would have gone with the G5 over either if I had that option) but when I reach "literally cannot charge my phone" I kinda don't have the choice to wait.

This just might be my phone for the next few years...

A bit disappointed that there isn't a white bezel for the silver version.