[TorrentFreak] [DigitalTrends] Company (Rightscorp) hijacks pirates' browsers, demands fine payment

nobelharvards

Original Source

This source reports on the same issue, quotes the above as the original.

Anti-piracy outfit Rightscorp says that it's working on a new method to extract cash settlements from suspected Internet pirates. The company says new technology will lock users' browsers and prevent Internet access until they pay a fine.

So ransomware, except this company sees it as some sort of vigilante.

This is akin to a person deliberately committing homicide (not self defence) against someone who has committed another crime instead of leaving it to the appropriate authorities and appropriate procedure.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

I see this as "stooping down to their level", if you will.

It also mentions it "locks" the browser. That sounds very easy to work around.

Congratulations! You've won a lottery of 500,000$ To claim the amount just click the below link.

lolnopeitsnotavirus.com

4vLJk.gif

Gee wiz.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

21 minutes ago, nobelharvards said:

Original Source

This source reports on the same issue, quotes the above as the original.

So ransomware, except this company sees it as some sort of vigilante.

This is akin to a person deliberately committing homicide (not self defence) against someone who has committed another crime instead of leaving it to the appropriate authorities and appropriate procedure.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

I see this as "stooping down to their level", if you will.

It also mentions it "locks" the browser. That sounds very easy to work around.

must be a late april fools since anyone with a little brains will be able to "unlock" their browser, and if I use another person's IP the wrong guy gets his browser locked (though locking the browser would require some sort of virus to be downloaded which in turn needs to be triggered) so this system is entirely flawed. late april fools.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I see they say that the ISPs would need to be the ones essentially injecting this garbage in a user's browser... If so, I can see a class action lawsuit coming up if any ISP actually start doing this.

Not to mention, this to me sound like a "guilty until proven innocent" kind of deal, which I'm pretty sure isn't exactly allowed anywhere.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Looks like this company is already on its way to die if we just ignore it and pretend it never existed:

Rightscorp blames this reluctance among service providers for its current financial situation, which isn’t good. The company reported a net loss of $3.43 million in 2015, up from its previous loss of $2.85 million in 2014.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

it's gonna be brilliant! good thing people who know how to torrent are as brain dead as Somalian pirates 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

honestly this will be a problem for the first couple of weeks when it's released then all the smart people will start using VPN en VM and then the lawsuits will follow to the creator if this shit

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

Shit like this makes me seriously reconsider my anti-piracy stance. It makes me want to pirate things that are represented by this "company". Any company that allows a company like this to handle their piracy protection/extortion racket deserves to have their shit pirated.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

As we know pirates are the dumbest of users, not tech savvy at all and won't be able to get around a ridiculously simple minor annoyance: great fucking work. 

Nevermind that this is outright illegal to begin with.

If it isn't, I'm moving my ass to mars and finishing my video game there.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I like how this company was sleazy enough to find legal loopholes to get away with fining people on behalf of the company they stole from. Now they are trying this BS? I want to hear the crap explanation they have to explain away holding peoples browsers hostage lol

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 hour ago, mikat said:

9dd96bbcbad7830f6cd10346ab2a510d5cc626bf

i know people that think wifi = internet :/

Just like people who think that Windows = the entire machine they're using 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Just like people who think that Windows = the entire machine they're using 

or turning the monitor off = turning computer off

54 minutes ago, Arty said:

or turning the monitor off = turning computer off

Oh yes! My grandmother thinks this. If she turns her monitor off the PC is off. I literally have told her so many times that is no the way it works. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

u are legally allowed to download film torrents aslong as u are only previewing the file for a few minits to see if u like the film to decide if u wanna purchase it or not

or if u alredy own the film

torrents arent illegal

sharing them is

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Nevermind that this is outright illegal to begin with.

If it isn't, I'm moving my ass to mars and finishing my video game there.

What kind of game are you working on? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

u are legally allowed to download film torrents aslong as u are only previewing the file for a few minits to see if u like the film to decide if u wanna purchase it or not

torrents arent illegal

sharing them is

Do you have a source for this? What country? Copyright laws are different in every country around the world (Although many are quite similar). I could see some European countries perhaps having this type of law, though I would be extremely skeptical about it being legal in Canada or the US.

You're basically describing a movie trailer. If you're just gonna download a movie to watch a few minutes of it?... don't. Just go watch the trailer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

What kind of game are you working on? 

FPS survival horror using Unreal 4. I really haven't even started. Just going through all the Unreal 4 tutorials now.

I'll make a thread on it when I have a prototype level completed that people can play.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

torrents arent illegal

sharing them is

Torrent = sharing. You can't download a torrent without also uploading.

Thus, torrenting copyrighted content from a third party not licensed to distribute it is always illegal.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.