Apple developing new batteries to improve energy capacity in devices

SansVarnic
9 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I doubt they would bring out a "special battery model", they will just apply the tech to all devices, watch, iPhone, Macbook etc , if apple can get it mass produced then it will benefit the entire industry

No doubt it'll benefit the industry, but I'm just saying they'll probably cost an arm and a leg.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

8 hours ago, TechGod said:

Since when do iPhones have bad batteries? Here's a hint: They DON'T!

They might not have bad batteries, but they do have small batteries.

1 hour ago, Lethal Seraph said:

No doubt it'll benefit the industry, but I'm just saying they'll probably cost an arm and a leg.

Will cos the same as current iPhones, apple will just make less profit

1 hour ago, cptavim said:

They might not have bad batteries, but they do have small batteries.

Doesn't really matter as long as it lasts 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Will cos the same as current iPhones, apple will just make less profit

I sure hope so. I won't believe it til it comes out. As far as the trend goes, they'll charge whoever wants new stuff with a good price tag.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

5 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

I sure hope so. I won't believe it til it comes out. As far as the trend goes, they'll charge whoever wants new stuff with a good price tag.

Really? the iphone has been getting cheaper and cheaper, in fact the new model is the cheapest iPhone yet, the retina macs are cheaper too than ever before, the Apple TV is cheap, etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

14 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

I actually found all my iPhones to have excellent battery life. Especially my 6. I've moved over to an LG G4 to play with Android for a while, and I have to say the battery life was worse than the iPhone, and now with Android M it's almost as good, despite a much much larger battery. I don't get why people dislike iPhone battery life, especially since most haven't used it.

That being said, I'm all for longer life across all mobile devices, although I read recently that battery technology is slow, since you can't just come up with clever ways to jam more in, you have to find entirely new combinations of elements to put together.

last year preety much all 'popular' phones had average battery life. iphone 6/6s about the same with the galaxy s6 and yeah g4 worse than both

17 minutes ago, s3ns3 said:

last year preety much all 'popular' phones had average battery life. iphone 6/6s about the same with the galaxy s6 and yeah g4 worse than both

I mean, if a phone lasts from when I wake up, to when I sleep, it has enough for me, as I charge every night and often during the day while working, on a wireless charging dock. But the iPhone would often give me two days, sometimes three with a quick twenty minute charge in the middle.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Good.  I don't care who develops it or for what purpose, but there are SO many excellent potential improvements that can be made to the world by having better batteries, and longer lasting phones is - great to have or not - by far the least significant tip of the iceburg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, TechGod said:

But they still last long...

Unfortunately not long enough.

If I was to pay as much as an iPhone costs that suckers battery had better last me a week on standby minimum.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 29 maart 2016 at 11:00 AM, TechGod said:

Since when do iPhones have bad batteries? Here's a hint: They DON'T!

They don't, but the only reason you're still getting "10 hours" of battery life out of an iPad is because of chip efficiency, not because the battery grew. Hell, the iPad Air 2 has something like 7.3k mAh of battery capacity, compared to the 11.5k in the iPad 3. I and many others would kindly like to know how many hours an iPad would last if you'd take an iPad Air 2, take out its battery and then pair it with the iPad 3's battery.

Ye ole' train

null

Haha no...

At this rate the company standard for battery life is half a day, not mAh. Expect smaller batteries in the future as Apple wants to make royalty from accessory makers like Mophie and Cheero...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

7 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

They don't, but the only reason you're still getting "10 hours" of battery life out of an iPad is because of chip efficiency, not because the battery grew. Hell, the iPad Air 2 has something like 7.3k mAh of battery capacity, compared to the 11.5k in the iPad 3. I and many others would kindly like to know how many hours an iPad would last if you'd take an iPad Air 2, take out its battery and then pair it with the iPad 3's battery.

The size doesnt matter, its the experience that counts

1 hour ago, cptavim said:

Yeah but a bigger battery will obviously last longer than a smaller battery, so I don't know why apple doesn't put bigger batteries in their phones.

What's better, ending the day with 30% battery life and sticking your phone on the charger, or trying to squeeze 2 days out of a battery and having it die the second day? Is the average consumer going to remember to plug their phone in every other day, or are they more likely to plug it in every day before bed?

The answers are: never have the battery die, and plug it in every day.

My iPhone 6S Plus has been off the charger all day, for 10 hours, with 7 hours of on screen time (I "watch" movies as I work), and I still have 71% battery life left. This after a year and a half of battling a Galaxy S5 for battery life (I'd hit lunch at it would be at 30%, even with power saving mode on). That's a 2750 mAh battery in the iPhone 6s Plus vs. Samsung's 2800 mAh. That is largely due to the difference in how Android and iOS deal with apps in standby and the functionality they can provide, iOS allows limited functionality, while Android allows far more.

Either way, this news is exciting not because of what it might do for phone battery life, but rather what it could do for the rest of our lives. Lithium-ion isn't good enough to reasonably get the world off burning fossil fuels, battery tech has to progress for that to become a reality.

they've been working on better batteries for years, this isn't news...

a few years ago and Apple battery engineer went to an Elon Musk press conference/Q&A and asked about batteries. Musk asked him back what kind of energy density was apple getting this their designs and the apple engineer simply said, "I can't disclose that"

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

null

On 3/29/2016 at 11:16 PM, themctipers said:

FOR FUCKS SAKE

MAKE MY IPHONE 1" THICK I DONT CARE

EXTRA PROTECTION AND BATTERY LIFE

Or like I said previously: copy the Moto X and make it a curved back:

moto-x-4.jpg

Feels actually better on the hands than a flat back phone and it packs quite a bit more juice to boot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 3/30/2016 at 1:29 PM, hph6203 said:

What's better, ending the day with 30% battery life and sticking your phone on the charger, or trying to squeeze 2 days out of a battery and having it die the second day? Is the average consumer going to remember to plug their phone in every other day, or are they more likely to plug it in every day before bed?

The answers are: never have the battery die, and plug it in every day.

I'd say neither of those would be better; I can make my phone last two days if I use it conservatively as just a phone, and only install stock apps.

The problem I have with anything regarding battery life is that they advertise ideal battery life, then tell you about all the great apps you can run.

The problem isn't whether or not your average consumer will remember to plug their phone in - Why should we have to plug our phones in everyday?

Surely by now, 10 years into the smartphone market, 20 years into the handheld market for Nintendo, someone, somewhere has realized that maybe we'd have better battery life if we weren't so obsessed with how thin we can make a device. Or maybe I'm one of the few who was quite OK with the curvature of the iPhone 3GS.

I just wish manufacturer's would give consumers the option of a thin phone with 1 day battery life, or an exact same model, only thicker with 1 week battery life.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

12 hours ago, kirashi said:

I'd say neither of those would be better; I can make my phone last two days if I use it conservatively as just a phone, and only install stock apps.

The problem I have with anything regarding battery life is that they advertise ideal battery life, then tell you about all the great apps you can run.

The problem isn't whether or not your average consumer will remember to plug their phone in - Why should we have to plug our phones in everyday?

Surely by now, 10 years into the smartphone market, 20 years into the handheld market for Nintendo, someone, somewhere has realized that maybe we'd have better battery life if we weren't so obsessed with how thin we can make a device. Or maybe I'm one of the few who was quite OK with the curvature of the iPhone 3GS.

I just wish manufacturer's would give consumers the option of a thin phone with 1 day battery life, or an exact same model, only thicker with 1 week battery life.

I have no issue with my phone battery lasting a day and a half, which means that I can hammer it for a full day's use and not worry about it dying. The marginal benefit of going from 1 1/2 days to 2 days is limited to a consumer, which is why they don't just slap a bigger battery on the phone because the average person is still going to plug in their phone every day. You may want it to last 2 days, but what benefit do you actually get from that other than bragging rights?

In 10 years the battery life of smartphones has unquestionably increased, so that comment is just nonsense, and we're actually almost 30 years into Nintendo's handheld market and the original didn't even have a back light (i.e. you couldn't play the original Gameboy with direct light), so you're not exactly comparing apples to apples.

The point is that better battery technology has farther reaching implications than just your phone. The reason we're stuck on fossil fuels/nuclear (each with varying degrees of impact on the environment) for electricity/transportation is because their energy is stored in materials and then released on demand, whereas solar/wind energy is generated and either used or lost when its acquired. This may not be an issue in Canada, because the majority of your electricity is generated by hydroelectric power plants, but the overall energy consumption of the world is over 80% oil, coal or natural gas. If Apple and Tesla's desire to build a better battery (cheaper, better storage capacity, more charging cycles) so that they can build a more viable electric car results in the world being able to bridge the gap between fossil fuels and nuclear fusion then its an extremely exciting development.

I just don't understand the impulse to see a company attempting to advance technology, and people jump in with caveman level thought processes and say things like "omagawd just make my phone bigger". That's like saying my car only has a 300 mile range (480 km), just stick a bigger gas tank on it, rather than exploring how to make the current gas tank go farther and failing that finding a different way to make the car go.

I think i've been reading about revolutionary battery technology for the past 10 years, yet year after year, what we get is a 5-7% improvement over the last year. If we are lucky.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

3 hours ago, hph6203 said:

-snip-

I just don't understand the impulse to see a company attempting to advance technology, and people jump in with caveman level thought processes and say things like "omagawd just make my phone bigger". That's like saying my car only has a 300 mile range (480 km), just stick a bigger gas tank on it, rather than exploring how to make the current gas tank go farther and failing that finding a different way to make the car go.

Apple has used every single technological advancement (where they affect the size of components) in the past to make their devices thinner. The efficiency of the hardware used by Apple has gone up, but the size of the batteries has gone down, meaning there is no real improvement at all in battery capacity. For example, each new version of Gorilla glass is stronger at the same thickness as the previous version, meaning that some (retarded) manufacturers decrease the thickness of the glass so its the same strength as it was before, meaning that the improved glass strength is negated.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, hph6203 said:

In 10 years the battery life of smartphones has unquestionably increased, so that comment is just nonsense, and we're actually almost 30 years into Nintendo's handheld market and the original didn't even have a back light (i.e. you couldn't play the original Gameboy with direct light), so you're not exactly comparing apples to apples.

You hit the nail on the head - the original Nintendo handhelds didn't have backlighting. Just as older cell phones didn't have all these modern apps that constantly push notifications to ones phone - which of course you can disable, but then there's not much point in having a modern smartphone, is there? (Not arguing with you here; you make a very valid point in my non-apples to apples comparison.)

Not having to charge your phone every day or two isn't about bragging rights; it's about convenience. I don't mind changing the batteries in my remote controls every couple years, or filling up my car with gas every month, or heck, even cutting the lawn every 2 weeks. It's because these things only need to be done in moderation that I'm not bothered by them, whereas having to plugin my phone, camera, laptop, tablet, and smartwatch (when I had one) at the end of every day added another 10-20 minutes to my schedule. Most consumers won't bat an eye at this, as you've said. It just doesn't fit into my busy schedule.

Most of my frustration with regards to battery life is that we've seen laptop batteries go from 2 hours or less (on average) to upwards of 8-10 hours, all with constant performance improvements and somehow continuing to make these same laptops smaller. I just don't understand why smartphones haven't really improved on a similar scale yet. Perhaps it indeed is app usage, as on a computer, one usually only has the apps they're working with open, where as a smartphone is always running X processes to do background checks. That might be a good experiment actually - I'm going to root my Note 3 soon anyway, so maybe when I do I'll refrain from installing any unnecessary apps, and see how much longer I can make the battery last in a day.

The ends to my means just so happens to result in thicker phones for better battery life, but that shouldn't mean it's a caveman level thought process. I'm all for better battery technology and well designed devices, it's just that at this time, the only way I see battery life improving is to make the phones thicker. When graphene batteries become a thing we're going to have amazing devices that last a long time.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

The reason smartphones won't keep up at even a fraction of the speed is because both Apple and Samsung, the two major parties, are scrambling to justify a new phone every single year. So we get more apps, faster CPU, more memory, more storage etc. It's simply not in their interest to increase battery life by a token amount each year.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum