Can I make my PC better without paying?

MoonlightSylv
On 3/17/2016 at 1:02 AM, ShadowTechXTS said:

This might be a stupid question but can I make my PC better without paying? I don't care if it's software or hardware but I've already done cable management.

On a serious note, others mentioned optimizations (apart from OC), but here is a few detailed suggestions;

Disable services that aren't needed (be careful, it could cause problems);

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

Disable visual effects;

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows

Disable transparency;

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5556-start-taskbar-action-center-transparency-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Look if you HDD needs a defrag;

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2723517/defrag-windows-computer.html

Short-stroke your HDD;

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-short-stroke-your-hard-drive-for-optimal-speed-1598306074

Disable startup programs;

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

There are tons of other tips & tricks, those are some of the ones I used on my C2Q rig.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 17/03/2016 at 5:02 AM, ShadowTechXTS said:

This might be a stupid question but can I make my PC better without paying? I don't care if it's software or hardware but I've already done cable management.

It depends on what you mean by better? If you want to make it look better then you could always decorate the case to something you like. If you want to make it run better then I wish you luck because the only option you have is to do some software house cleaning. After that the performance you have is all you will ever have with that configuration.   

Download more ram

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

7 minutes ago, NightMiu said:

Download more ram

Already done

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Already done

Nice, next step would be to delete system32, and when you have done that I think that howtobasic has some pc guides on his youtube channel.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

I don't know if this has been mentioned... but..

If by faster you mean better... if you have a fairly old PC, you should check that you have your boot drive connected to a SATA3 port... it's possible that if you have say a HDD or SSD which is SATA3 - it may have accidentally been plugged into a SATA2 port. Even some recent(ish) motherboards have a mix of SATA2 and SATA3 ports (Realtek Controlled SATA2 and Intel Controlled SATA3 for example) so simply checking and plugging your drive into the correct port might benefit.

A fresh install of Windows and sourcing up to date drivers for all your hardware is always a good way to give your machine a boost.

You could check bios settings to make sure AHCI mode is enabled. There may be other BIOS tweaks you can do to optimise performance, I'll start you off there, go research your specific board.

Oh and DON'T install linux. :-P

19 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned... but..

If by faster you mean better... if you have a fairly old PC, you should check that you have your boot drive connected to a SATA3 port... it's possible that if you have say a HDD or SSD which is SATA3 - it may have accidentally been plugged into a SATA2 port. Even some recent(ish) motherboards have a mix of SATA2 and SATA3 ports (Realtek Controlled SATA2 and Intel Controlled SATA3 for example) so simply checking and plugging your drive into the correct port might benefit. 

SATAIII hard drives won't really benefit from SATAIII ports. They're not fast enough. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

SATAIII hard drives won't really benefit from SATAIII ports. They're not fast enough. 

ugh... well, if you're going to nitpick...

he asked about making his pc better for no money... it's possible it might for the time it would take to open the pc, move the sata connector and change the boot order in the bios it's worth a shot.

It can be argued in my example it would be preferable to use the Intel SATA controller over the Realtek one..

It's good practice to use the best hardware you have available to you. Someone else with an SSD might read this - it can be easily overlooked if the builder hasn't read the manual.

Oh and to the OP... I checked your hardware - you could RAID0 those drives, you'll lose 250gb on your 500gb and if one drive dies all your data is toast, but it should improve read speed over all.. (I STRONGLY recommend you ignore this suggestion!)

15 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

ugh... well, if you're going to nitpick... 

This is my problem with the thread - people are making suggestions that do not really improve the experience at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Sell your liver on the black market

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

Run igp for a month. Put it back in. Enjoy gaming nirvana.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…