HTC Vive sells 15K units in 10 minutes

Samfisher

What price will VR make sense to you?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. What price will VR make sense to you?

• $100-$250
    • $251-$400
    • $401-$600
    • Price is fine right now

Source :

Source : http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/the_htc_vive_sold_over_15k_units_in_10_minutes/1

Have you gotten yours?  Even if I could afford it, they don't deliver to where I live so...  This seems like a very good sign that VR pricing and the early adopter tax is acceptable to quite a few people out there, and this gives me hope that there will be mass adoption within 3 years if the trend continues.  Couldn't be more excited!

What price will VR make sense to you?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Oculus wouldnt ship to me, nor will HTC Vive.

I'd more than gladly buy one if they did.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I was pretty much ready to press buy, but the shipping completely killed it for me. It was already slightly over my budget. But if it turned out to be a small amount over my budget, that shouldn't be what stopped me. But I'll wait for local retailers to get then, hopefully that price would be similar, but without the 90+€ shipping.

They do ship to my country, but the thing is, its 980 bucks without taxes, my government will see this thing coming in, and ask me to pay taxes (21%) so thats another 210 euro's.
An easy 1200 euro for a VR is not worth it for me. Ill wait till the price drops, if had a great amount of time with the Oculus rift DK1 and DK2, I enjoyed it, but this would be too much for "some fun".

I wish you could just hook up your Google Cardboard to a PC really easily. Like you just buy a nice VR headset that's plastic and all but still uses your phone, boom, VR headset.

Just now, byalexandr said:

I wish you could just hook up your Google Cardboard to a PC really easily. Like you just buy a nice VR headset that's plastic and all but still uses your phone, boom, VR headset.

this right here, would be amazing if we could get some desktop over usb or something.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Phones are nowhere near high res enough and don't have high refresh rate panels.

Why does the poll only go up to $600? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, I'm jealous my brother pre-ordered one while I'm stuck shopping for another house. :(

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Phones are nowhere near high res enough and don't have high refresh rate panels.

It's better than spending the price of a flagship GPU on a VR headset.

Just now, byalexandr said:

It's better than spending the price of a flagship GPU on a VR headset.

It won't be, cos VR NEEDS high refresh rate to work, and high res to not see the pixels to break the illusion.  ANY subpar part of the experience will KILL VR like a fly.  Motion sickness, nausea, low res images, exactly the things VR does not need.

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Why does the poll only go up to $600? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, I'm jealous my brother pre-ordered one while I'm stuck shopping for another house. :(

Cos VR headsets already start costing $600 right now? :P

Just now, Samfisher said:

Cos VR headsets already start costing $600 right now? :P

I know, and that makes sense to me. You should have an option for $600+ so as to not exclude people from the poll. :D

-KuJoe

20 minutes ago, Dakpan said:

They do ship to my country, but the thing is, its 980 bucks without taxes, my government will see this thing coming in, and ask me to pay taxes (21%) so thats another 210 euro's.
An easy 1200 euro for a VR is not worth it for me. Ill wait till the price drops, if had a great amount of time with the Oculus rift DK1 and DK2, I enjoyed it, but this would be too much for "some fun".

If you are within EU, the prices stated on HTC's site is WITH taxes. So you wouldn't need to pay import taxes, they are already payed for.

1 minute ago, Denned said:

If you are within EU, the prices stated on HTC's site is WITH taxes. So you wouldn't need to pay import taxes, they are already payed for.

Hmm that wasn't stated when I looked at it yesterday, I assumed it was the same as the Oculus Rift.
I would still need to spend 1500+ extra for a better pc since my GTX 780 will not uphold.

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I know, and that makes sense to me. You should have an option for $600+ so as to not exclude people from the poll. :D

Added just for you :D

good. the faster it becomes more mainstream the faster it will be cheaper :)

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10

1 hour ago, Dakpan said:

pretty sure the tax is already paid since for europe the price is already calculated in euros.

It's good to see early adoption for VR going well, improving future iterations and pricing. Looking forward to see how it evolves.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'll wait on the first reviews then buy the one which turns out to be best regardless of price. But I think for VR headsets to make sense they need to come down to about 600dollars or so not more 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

1 minute ago, Sidiox said:

I'll wait on the first reviews then buy the one which turns out to be best regardless of price. But I think for VR headsets to make sense they need to come down to about 600dollars or so not more 

Well the Oculus already fits your price bill then!

I get the feeling most people are voting 250-400 dollars because that was oculus' original msrp projection. The price may eventually settle down to that point, but right now these companies need early adopters to have enthusiast level PC specs, as well as get a large influx of money to keep production in full swing. If the Oculus or Vive were priced low, you would have a lot of negative customer feedback right away where people with mid range PC's would complain about poor optimization, simulation sickness and what not. Oculus and Vive are going for the trickle down effect, where the enthusiasts with capable machines will use their product and have a good experience, which in turn will help drive sales as cheaper models become available. Can't afford the oculus or vive right now? probably because you're not their current target demographic.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 hours ago, byalexandr said:

2 hours ago, ObeseWalrus said:

this right here, would be amazing if we could get some desktop over usb or something.

http://oddsheepgames.com/trinus/ I tried it with alien isolation and it works. no positional tracking though (it's just not possible)

UPDATED LINK http://trinusvr.com/

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Awesome, sucks that it's only for Android though. Also kinda sucks that it's wireless, latency must not be that great.

I have a build in wireless AC card in my pc, so if I use that as a connection point, the latency is acceptable. google cardboard (the actual ones made of cardboard) are just terrible since the carton bends, end the lenses will bend with them, giving you double vision which nauseating and gives you a headache. So if you're going to get one don't get a "poor people" google cardboard. but a proper plastic one with big lenses. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Just now, Tycho said:

I have a build in wireless AC card in my pc, so if I use that as a connection point, the latency is acceptable. google cardboard (the actual ones made of cardboard) are just terrible since the carton bends, end the lenses will bend with them, giving you double vision which nauseating and gives you a headache. So if you're going to get one don't get a "poor people" google cardboard. but a proper plastic one with big lenses. 

I will, but I need to get an Android phone first. I'm starting to dislike my Lumia 1020.

12 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I will, but I need to get an Android phone first. I'm starting to dislike my Lumia 1020.

remember you'll need a high end phone for you even to consider this. a display should be 1080p or higher, and larger than 5 inches. using wifi is only recommended if both your router and your phone have AC support. To be honest, I bought it just to try it, and it's really not good enough for playing the entire game. I would say it's just as bad as the oculus DK1. except for the resolution.