Your biggest IT disaster.

beaker15

Oh god, was asked to format a computer at a friends house, left a key.  I arrive and see the computer in the lounge, normal toolbars, and crap ( talking late 90's ) so I get to work, was told to not back it up, and to just wipe it.

The computer that I was to format was upstairs.  The one I wiped had a lot of work on it.  Never screwed up after that. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Burned a few mosfets running extreme OC / LN2

had a raid array die too

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

So far my current PC build has gone through 1 CPU 1 GPU and 2 motherboards. This is no fault of my own but still annoying. I am extremely unlucky with parts coming DOA.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

I also knew a guy who worked at a repair shop who had a guy brink in a prebuilt gaming PC that stopped working after he "soundproofed it." When he opened it up he saw that the guy had filled it with expanding foam which caused it to fry itself. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Whatever the fak just happened to my workstation is probably the closest I've been to complete disaster.
Booted, showed the ASUS bios thing then went to a screen showing the American MicroTrends logo and just sat there until I rebooted.

Not good for the ol' heart rate.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

This isn't really a disaster, but I screwed in my old motherboard with no standoffs and it bent.

Still works though...

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Not my fault, but my win 10 install was vorked and 4/5 times it would not start correctly, had ram leaks, and kept loosing files and changing where they were.

a reinstall fixed it :P

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

On 2/25/2016 at 7:15 AM, Macko939 said:

I recently found out that you have to use mobo standoffs... I thought these were just random spare parts or something.

I've been using my PC for like 6 months now and its working like gold. 

This thing is still bugging me but I don't even know if its worth stripping apart my entire pc if its already working fine... I've put a lot of effort into cable management and stuff.

I would reccomend installing standoffs.

On 2/24/2016 at 4:32 PM, beaker15 said:

What was your biggest IT disaster or computer repair failure....

while screwing the side panel, the pc was on and the screw fell in the case, 

didn't do anything

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I accidentally wiped terabytes worth of content I'd spent years scraping together once. Never again.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

The SATA connector on my SSD came loose once.

Everything started stuttering and popping, restarted and got "A disk read error occured".

Turned off the machine and reconnected the cable and it worked again.

Even though I have backups, I still lost my shit for a while.

Bent the pins on my AMD CPU while it was brand new.

I spent a good hour to bend all pins back and fortunately and it still works fine, I had a mini heart attack the second I noticed the bent pins.

Was so used to LGA socket I forgot about the pins and put it on a piece of paper on my desk while trying to clean the failed thermal paste of. Ugh, I'm so stupid.

God dammit, I still hate myself because of it.

Probably shoving RAM in the wrong way, shorting out my board and APU in my old system.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

not a disaster of my doing but rather one we are all stuck with right now;

nepotism and management positions don't go together! :dry:

EDIT : meaning management IT position filled through nepotism ... re-read myself and thought it wasn't that clear! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

This topic in a nutshell:

• Wit
  • MOBO/BIOS update fail
  • Overclock fail (just put more fans on it geesh)
  • Electrocution
  • Hardware installation fail (someway, somehow)
  • Partition fail / data loss

2 minutes ago, Jbax1899 said:

This topic in a nutshell:

• Wit
  • MOBO/BIOS update fail
  • Overclock fail (just put more fans on it geesh)
  • Electrocution
  • Hardware installation fail (someway, somehow)
  • Partition fail / data loss

You're not very useful.

You're just another complaining uselessness

Go somewhere else please.

People are telling their worst IT fails ever, which usually happens like during their first build, or when they're doing something they're inexperienced with, and you just come by and crack them down.

Not cool.

Ooooh, definitely taking down all of the radio towers and train signals for the north half of BC.  Several times.  In the span of a couple of hours as we were doing UPS upgrades.

The weirdest part was that after the huge outages, no one really got mad or got in trouble.  We just worked with upper management and IT so that such a catastrophic failure would happen differently so it didn't bring down every system.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I worked IT during the dead shift for a large company for a year or so and when I first started I ran into the issue of what to do when people lock their PC's before leaving for the night.  I was always instructed to carry out whatever procedure I needed whether the end user would lose information or not.  So almost every I night I found myself in a position where I would have to restart someone's PC while they were still logged on with the PC in a locked state.  Thus every users would complain that during the night someone had turned off their PC causing them to lose all their work.  Don't know if this would really constitute as a personal fail, but given the constant loss of users data I would consider this a fail on somebody's end.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

When I was 10/11, I was bored and decided to see if I could get admin access on a school PC. It was incredibly easy, so I started seeing what else I could do. When my friend saw me, he ended up "helping" me. We installed different operating systems and still didn't get caught. Then, I started seeing if I could bypass our web filter(this was just me, it was beyond my friends skill level, he just continued getting local admin on computers). At my school, we have two filters, a local application which filters by window titles and a proxy that the council runs. I had a few ways to bypass the local app but the only practical way was to remove it completely. The filter was a bit more interesting, we couldn't access anything if it didn't first go through the proxy so I couldn't just ignore the proxy. I tried TOR but it wasn't working and web proxies are blocked by content filtering. I tried HTTP and HTML redirects and it still didn't work. For some reason, I was convinced redirects would work. I created a script that had a load of different redirects and for some reason, JavaScript redirects worked and once you got on to a site, you could browse it without being blocked. While I was doing all this, my friend was getting admin access on more PCs. What I didn't realise was he thought if he created the admin account with his username on the domain, he would get domain admin. We started wiping hard drives and installing Ubuntu on some PCs. This made them start checking PCs. They noticed that the filter app was gone and there was an admin account with a username that could be on the domain. They used this to find my friend and he told them everything. The next morning, my friend told me what had happened. I realised that if I was caught with all the tools I had on my USB(I tried a lot of smaller stuff like port scanning), I was screwed. I only had about 5 minutes before lessons started so I couldn't do much. I had around 6 USBs and I couldn't wipe them all so I decided to format them. I just assumed the technicians wouldn't know how to recover formatted data because they only know the basics. What I didn't consider is with the amount of data losses their setup has, they would have to get data recovery tools to keep their job. So, they just opened the tools, put my USBs in and clicked scan and they had all the evidence they needed. When they called my parents in, for some reason, they thought I was talking to Russian terrorists at 2 AM on TOR using fake identities and I would become a cyber terrorist. 

TL;DR: Me and my mate got admin access on school computers, he used his actual username, I thought formatting would hide all my data from the school.

18 hours ago, deWaardt said:

You're not very useful.

You're just another complaining uselessness

Go somewhere else please.

People are telling their worst IT fails ever, which usually happens like during their first build, or when they're doing something they're inexperienced with, and you just come by and crack them down.

Not cool.

Originally I hadn't intended for that to be at all cynical, though can understand where you are coming from. I apologize.

Not me but a guy in my Lab. We had to do test with AD so we used Hyper-V to virtualize the server and some client. The guy put his physical machine on the domain and made a GPO to disable local login. He didn't realize how dumb it was before the day after when he had to reboot the machine ^^.  

21 hours ago, drc00k3 said:

le snip

oh god i remember this holy shit, (no i am not the friend mentioned in this kek)

Got an RC? head over to The Rc Thread and tell us about it, or you can just discuss rc in general there as well.

overly obsessed with 2 strokes and RCs

BRAAAAAAPPP

Spoiler

upgrading to:i5 6600k|MSI  z170a SLI Plus|1x8GB HYPERX Black| keeping the rest of my system the same for a few months until i have enough money for a better gpu,psu and an m.2 ssd

Spoiler

my baby:2008 Ktm 125 sx 

Spoiler

current rig:core 2 quad q6600@stock|asus p5q deluxe| 4GB of mix matched ddr2| saphirre r9 270x dual x| hyper212 evo w/ 2 sp120s| corsair cx 500m ikr time bomb| wd blue 1TB| corsair spec- 03|MSX home 64bit|

On 26/02/2016 at 4:13 PM, Tmt97 said:

fx-6300. I pushed it to the limit too, and it wasn't that bad. Might just be my particular cpu though, I was told by other owners of fx-6300 that with the stock cooler I was running a few degrees below the temperature theirs ran at in the same conditions.

If your using mobo temps, DO NOT TRUST THEM! Your FX-6300 is probably thermal throttling to save its life.

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

13 minutes ago, KB_TheDireWolf said:

If your using mobo temps, DO NOT TRUST THEM! Your FX-6300 is probably thermal throttling to save its life.

No, no it wasnt. I figured out early on that it didn't report temps back correctly, so I got an accurate temperature and thats the one I'm referring to running fairly cool. Its a moot point now anyway since I bought an AIO cooler to replace the stock with that I just installed.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

No, no it wasnt. I figured out early on that it didn't report temps back correctly, so I got an accurate temperature and thats the one I'm referring to running fairly cool. Its a moot point now anyway since I bought an AIO cooler to replace the stock with that I just installed.

Just that I have had two FX-6300 systems, I know stock cooling and a CX 500w dont work  with oc'ing lol.

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|