ValvE's VR performance test - is your PC ready for VR?

zMeul

if you chose to run the test  

333 members have voted

1. 1. is your system VR ready?

• ready
    • capable
    • not ready
    • turnip

I'm not sure if these results are good but.. :D

I'm VR ready!!! 

15c0b8898e76edaa10d3bdc63ecb00a2.png

yF1P6ZE.png

Awesome

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

A lot of people except VR to be ridiculously demanding because the idea they have in their heads is to play modern AAA games at high settings at 90fps on this relatively high resolution.

however once you get over the need for the highest quality settings and start turning things down more liberally you will find that it becomes a lot lighter on both CPU&GPU, you can reach the required performance levels on many more systems. Add to that there are loads of non-AAA VR games coming up which are easier to run, they just won't have star citizen quality graphics. But they will be fun and immersive VR experiences...

Pretty sure mine is... still wanting to pick up a solid HBM2.0 card an maybe a 5930k. And i won't be playing a VR until a pickup a multi directional treadmill like the Virtuix Omni though.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

14 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

7990. I'm not sure whether it worked as crossfire or not.

obviously not.

AMD and Nvidia will have to add crossfire / SLI profiles for this in upcoming drivers.

I got good results with my 970

gtx 970 SteamVR results.PNG

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I saw the disparity between the 680 and 770 and immediately knew this is just marketing for Nvidia... 

I, too found this a bit peculiar.  Base specs suggests that the only difference is only slightly faster memory on the 770, otherwise they are identical graphics solutions.

Capture.PNG.a7f71be64ad3e341bb83dafc268a

I Passed YAY! (Bearly)

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

12 hours ago, Nexxus said:

nsBNtRG.jpg

Well my GTX680 did some what better, i think because i overclock it to the max :D

qhOjoFk.png

What are those GTX980Ti doing on the max FPS?

13 hours ago, Nexxus said:

nsBNtRG.jpg

wierd. my 280x tested as capable. guess nvidia gpus dont age well. who knew?

(p.s. i did)

12 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'll put my score once it finishes the download. ;)

snip

Mine doesnt make any sense :(

btw I have HD 7950

Untitled.jpg.51630e84fb97c085d9c86096c87

51 minutes ago, JJHW149 said:

Bearly

Bearly.png

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 minutes ago, Mushious said:

"We recommend upgrading your Graphics Card." Said nobody ever Valve to the SLI 780Ti.

video.PNG.0067deb7dab3801fa14c965063d998

it isnt sli/crossfire able out of the box. there is a command line you can use to tell it to use both gpus

38 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

it isnt sli/crossfire able out of the box. there is a command line you can use to tell it to use both gpus

Ah, -multigpu makes a small difference. Still not where I'd like it or where I think it should be to be though. Not that I'll be buying a gen1 VR.

video2.PNG.42134d994a8bfe8fc0be31d364283

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

-snip-

Rly? Wow, thats so dumb lmao. I guess this test, really depends on what other processes the system is already running, or maybe it just is inconclusive. Ill run it again today, after restarting my machine, and see what happens...

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Rly? Wow, thats so dumb lmao. I guess this test, really depends on what other processes the system is already running, or maybe it just is inconclusive. Ill run it again today, after restarting my machine, and see what happens...

Other things running can impact it heavily from what I've been able to test.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

between the Fury X and the 980Ti, who do you think does VR better?!

different drivers give different results i got a better score with 15.12 even though i get better average fps with 16.1

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

1 hour ago, Ashaira said:

wierd. my 280x tested as capable. guess nvidia gpus dont age well. who knew?

(p.s. i did)

Un-huh, enjoy all them gameworks titles, I know you guys who jackoff over AMD love them.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

10 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Un-huh, enjoy all them gameworks titles, I know you guys who jackoff over AMD love them.

someone is angry today.