Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

<snip>

You must keep note that the phone were excluded due to low specs or missing technologies. So upgrading your phone to Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update may affect your experience now or later on, and of course, there is no support.

<snip>

3 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That's what you get when drop support for your own apps on previous platform and letting users behind once again. =/

OK so we have a group putting out an  App for the Win10 Mobile - Great :D 

BUUuut, they wont offer support after release ... pretty much this is what I got out of reading it. What a bunch of <insert underhandedly and overly descriptive sarcastic comment here>.

:( hmm this wont go over well. In some ways I am hoping that MS blocks the app for the sake of the 'innocent' end user, but on the other side of the coin I hope they don't block it because I want to bring my 925 up to the current insider build. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Some small news:

• Microsoft permanently cut the price of the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. The phones are $150 and $200 less respectively (in US currency). As for the Lumia 650, it is 50$ less. So, 950 is $399, 950 XL is $499, and the 650 is $149. See in your region if the price has dropped. It should have.
  • NYTimes cut support form its Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8 app. A message on the app says to go on the website to access the content.
  • New US bank support for NFC payment: PNC and US Bank.

Guess what time it is? 1:25pm EST? No! I mean yes, at the moment of posting, BUT it is New Windows 10 Mobile Redstone 2 build time!

Build 14905!

What's New?

• We are introducing a newly refined sound set in this build, uniting the best of our past and present. We aspire to set a new bar for mobile sound set quality, and are trying to make the soundscape of technology more beautiful and harmonious. This also helps align with new sound design direction of the Windows platform as a whole, so that mobile sounds will family with desktop and tablet and be feel instantly familiar to all Windows users. We will continue to evolve – head to Settings > Personalization > Sounds to see the updated list of available sounds and let us know what you think!

What's Improved?

• Missed call notifications are now more actionable, with inline options to call back, text or remind yourself to do something about it later.
  • We fixed an issue where videos played in Windows Phone 8 apps might not pause when an incoming call was received.
  • We fixed an issue where, if “Show my caller ID” is set to “My contacts”, the contact being called might still see a blocked caller ID.
  • We fixed an issue where the Lock screen might fail to update to the new time after a time zone change.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in music not resuming after a call was finished, if Turn-by-Turn directions were being read out from the Maps app when the phone call came in.

Known issues:

• If you move apps between a SD card and internal storage (either direction), those apps will get stuck in a pending state. The workaround to get your apps working again is to uninstall the app through Settings > System > Storage (apps cannot be uninstalled from All apps list). Then you can re-install the app from the Store.
  • Cortana’s text to speech capabilities is not working in this build. For example, Cortana won’t be able to read text messages out loud for you, tell jokes, sing, or give verbal prompts.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14905-for-pc-mobile/

If you're still on Redstone 1 there's a new build for Release Preview:

This build fixes some bugs and maybe performance improvements.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So not really Insider related... but I know if I post in the Tech News we will get the usual crowed coming and say the same usual comments.

So I'll post it here:

Pushbullet has made a Windows 10 Mobile app.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/pushbull/9nblggh516kf

Simple app, but what it does is that it sync notifications between devices (Android, iOS, Windows (any version) powered PCs).

It can also share copy and paste content between devices. Also has chat system.

So yea, a nice conflict with what we have built-in and coming for Windows 10, but I'll install it to check it out and support.

It can be interesting for those not running Windows 10 for various reasons, or those seeking an alternative or enjoy the features we don't have yet, right now.

Office Lens is now Universal App and is available for all devices (PC - webcam needed of course, tablet, phone).

The GUI and everything was reworked. Check it out! Its an awesome app.

New Windows 10 Mobile Build - Build 14915

No new features, like the desktop build. Microsoft continue to work on its OneCore for new features.

Fixes and Improvements:

• We fixed the issue causing apps to get stuck in a pending state if you move apps between a SD card and internal storage (either direction).
  • We fixed the issue causing Cortana’s text to speech capabilities to not work. Cortana should be able to read text messages out loud for you, tell jokes, sing, or give verbal prompts as expected.
  • Changing functionality via Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program such as your ring settings should now work again on this build. For more information – see this forum post.
  • We fixed a compatibility issue from a recent platform change that causes apps such as Yahoo Mail, Trivia Crack, Google and the Skype Translator Preview app to crash.
  • We made a number of improvements to translations, including fixing an issue with Store app install notifications, where the wrong verb was used in German when letting you know to check out the app.
  • We have updated “You need to fix your MSA” notification toast logic, so it will no longer notify you multiple times in quick succession.
  • We fixed an issue where examining Microsoft Edge’s advanced settings would result in subsequent downloads in Edge saving to the default locations, rather the preferred locations set under Settings > System > Storage.
  • We fixed an issue for Continuum-capable devices that could result in being temporarily unable to connect to a previously paired Windows 10 PC.
  • We have updated the settings for sounds so that .mp3 or .wma files downloaded straight from OneDrive or copied from File Explorer to the phone’s Ringtones folder will now display automatically in the list of available sounds for ringtones, alarms and notifications.

No "known issues" that Microsoft has identified but is listening to feedback hub.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/31/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14915-for-pc-and-mobile/#qv0cxqLpp65Tedjp.97

Check out Edge about:config page. I noticed new options, including changing the composition engine to: Selfhost (Default), Stable, and Canary. I guess Canary is the latest beta engine. In terms of performance, I am not seeing anything noticeable not difference from HTML5 score...Maybe it doesn't work on mobile, or when used on Continuum only.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Edge rendering engine option was already there on previous build, but as you said, nothig seemed to change, maybe it's just a leftover or placeholder for internal testing.

They finally fixed most bugs that I had. Edge is not refreshing pages 3 times then crashing anymore :)

Ah ok. Missed it.

Good to know. I wish Edge would stop reloading pages when you go back/forward, like on Chrome and Firefox. It is something that IE had always done, I never understood why they never implemented this feature. Hopefully in the future.

Looks like it is the end for Lumia. Microsoft is looking in to do an end of sale for the Lumia series by December.

This is based on an employee that wants to remain anonymous. Of course, you should take this as a grain of salt.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-looks-set-end-sales-lumia-phones-december-director-mentions-surface-phone

Now, it appears Microsoft is working to end its Lumia range. According to an employee at the company, who wishes to remain anonymous, the company is preparing to “end sales” of the range this year, December 2016. It does, however, seem a little odd to actually end sales, instead, we believe that Microsoft will be ending production of its Lumia devices. This latest piece of information fits in line with recent actions from the company, where it has permanently cut the prices of many of its Lumia devices over the past few months. This seems to be an effort to sell off remaining stock and coincides with December being the final month since the price cuts have become larger as time has progressed.

If true, one can stay hopeful that it is because the company wants the Surface team to handle it.

I guess one way to know for sure is seeing if Windows 10 Mobile builds are still being released and if new features are coming. If that is the case, then Surface Phone confirmed, or the Lumia series will remain.

47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Looks like it is the end for Lumia. Microsoft is looking in to do an end of sale for the Lumia series by December.

This is based on an employee that wants to remain anonymous. Of course, you should take this as a grain of salt.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-looks-set-end-sales-lumia-phones-december-director-mentions-surface-phone

If true, one can stay hopeful that it is because the company wants the Surface team to handle it.

I guess one way to know for sure is seeing if Windows 10 Mobile builds are still being released and if new features are coming. If that is the case, then Surface Phone confirmed, or the Lumia series will remain.

I may buy an extra phone or too if the sales hit below $200 USD... :) 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Check out guys Universal Emulator, it is a NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, GB Color, and GBA emulator for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile (as well as HoloLens).

Works with the XBox controller, and It is free as well.

On 9/9/2016 at 11:33 AM, GoodBytes said:

Check out guys Universal Emulator, it is a NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, GB Color, and GBA emulator for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile (as well as HoloLens).

Works with the XBox controller, and It is free as well.

Already downloaded and enjoying my original Mario Brothers...

Image result for peanut and jelly time gif

I only emulate games I already own...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

30 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Already downloaded and enjoying my original Mario Brothers..

I only emulate games I already own...

Awesome!  Apparently they wanted to add the emulator to the XBox One, but Microsoft rejected the app, which is fully understandable. I don't think Microsoft wants to deal with the lawsuits from Nintendo and Sega, not to mention other lawsuits suggesting that Microsoft facilitates piracy.

New Build! 14926

If you are in the U.S, you get to enjoy Microsoft Reward for Insiders. Every feedback you provide will get you points for the program.

There are now more ways to get rewarded with Microsoft. Microsoft Rewards is a new rewards program that just launched earlier this week. It builds on the foundation of Bing Rewards, but with expanded ways to earn. With Microsoft Rewards, you earn points for searching with Bing, shopping at the Windows and Microsoft stores, and browsing the web with Microsoft Edge. As a Windows Insider, you can continue to earn points even on Insider Preview builds. Then you can redeem your points for Xbox or Windows gift cards and pick from thousands of games, movies, TV shows, music, and apps. Or you can use your points to get Microsoft Store discounts, Skype Credits, Xbox Live Gold memberships, and more, or even donate them to charity. To join, click here!

What is new:

When you use wireless connection manage, it is now showing Windows 10 one, and not Windows Phone 8 legacy one.

wi-fi-settings-576x1024.pngwi-fi-settings-new-576x1024.png

Bug fixes:

• We fixed a scaling issue on devices such as the Lumia 635, 636, or 638 where the bottom of certain apps, like Messaging and Maps, would get cut off and rendered off screen.
  • We heard you and we have addressed the largest cause of reliability issues in Microsoft Edge running on Insider Preview builds. This should improve reliability on major websites such as Facebook and Outlook.com.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the sound of key presses and lock/unlock being barely audible when the phone was using a moderate volume.
  • We fixed an issue where, if Quiet Hours had been turned on, banner notifications might not start appearing again until Action Center was opened or an interactive notification popped up and was dismissed.
  • We fixed an issue where Cortana would crash when trying to open Reminders page.
  • We have improved the reliability of VPN Settings page via Settings > Network & wireless > VPN.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the thumbnail for portrait videos displaying with an incorrect aspect ratio in the Photos app when panning through the Camera Roll.

Known issues:

• Some devices such as the Lumia 650 will fail to install this build with Error 0x80188308. We are currently investigating this issue.
  • Action Center no longer closes if you swipe up on the empty space (area of Action Center that doesn’t show any notifications).
  • Using your phone as a mobile hotspot will work the first time but subsequent attempts to use the feature will result in the inability to enable the hotspot until the phone is rebooted.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/09/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14926-for-pc-and-mobile/#WXphgCEH4rvBluFM.97

Opera Mini app now has AdBlock functionality.

For all those looking for an AdBlock browsing experience. Unfortunately Edge mobile still doesn't support ad blocking yet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/opera-mini/9wzdncrdmtk6

Version notes
Version number: 9.1.0.232
Added ad block functionality

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

22 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Opera Mini app now has AdBlock functionality.

For all those looking for an AdBlock browsing experience. Unfortunately Edge mobile still doesn't support ad blocking yet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/opera-mini/9wzdncrdmtk6

Lol. They finally updated it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft France says that Microsoft will not come back to focus on consumer phones until there is a new revolution.

Our strategy for Windows Phone is to focus on enterprise customers, we are now out of the mass market. The entrance ticket to the mass market smartphones is now too high, we are betting on a technology leap in a few years with a paradigm shift. During this transition period, we won’t stay in the consumer smartphone market.

They'll only focus on the business side of things from now.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-will-leave-the-consumer-smartphone-market-for-a-few-years-according-to-new-microsoft-france-president

By the way a new build of Windows 10 Mobile is out

Let's bring some fun good news.

Windows phone increased in market share!

0.05% to be exact. With such rate, I think Android and Apple are both doomed, as Microsoft is in the perfect path for world phone domination in the next few months. :P

Joking a side, the increase is probably due to the consistently sold out HP Elite x3 phone. This indicates that businesses are interested into the device.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/netmarketshare-windows-phone-market-share-increases-windows-10-drops-while-edge-holds-steady

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Let's bring some fun good news.

Windows phone increased in market share!

0.05% to be exact. With such rate, I think Android and Apple are both doomed, as Microsoft is in the perfect path for world phone domination in the next few months. :P

Joking a side, the increase is probably due to the consistently sold out HP Elite x3 phone. This indicates that businesses are interested into the device.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/netmarketshare-windows-phone-market-share-increases-windows-10-drops-while-edge-holds-steady

Interesting. But still not good enough. For App developers to take Windows Phone seriously, the market share needs to increase to at least 30%........