Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

Some extra information on the Firmware release for 950 and 950XL;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdupdate/new-firmware-update-for-lumia-950950-xl/194a025a-317d-4c7f-882c-2ecb0f6c04fb?page=1

New firmware update for Lumia 950/950 XL: 01078.00053.16236.35xxx

armagonfin started on July 7, 2016

Microsoft Support Engineer

Hey folks,

We are starting to rollout a new firmware update today for Lumia 950/950 XL: 01078.00053.16236.35xxx. Key improvements in this release include:

Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.

Support for double tap to wake enabled.

Bluetooth connectivity improvements.

Stability and reliability improvements.

Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.

Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.

Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.

The availability of the update may depend on your phone model, region or network service provider. Starting today [July 7th, 2016] the update should become available for the first batch of phones and the remaining ones are expected to receive the update gradually.

Windows 10 is updating continuously, so make sure you follow all the update notifications that appear on your phone. To check for updates, you can also tap Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Check for updates. For more detailed update instructions and troubleshooting, see.

Please pay attention to what I highlighted in RED as there appears to be a lot of confusion to how the Firmware update will be handled. Firmware updates are sent out via the Cellular Carrier by mean of Over The Air (OTA) or through your Cellular connection not by WiFi via Microsoft update service.

This will be done in batches as well so be patient as it will take time to get it. Yes I know there is also the time to wait for Carriers to sign off on the update as well. :| 

The firmware update will Wipe your phone whether you are an insider or not, you will end up with a pre-release version of Windows Mobile 10. You will need to upgrade your phone's OS after the firmware update regardless. ** This applies to if you are updating via the WDRT.

It is strongly suggested to back up your phone before applying the firmware update.

**edit

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yea, American Express (Amex) pulled their Windows Phone 8 app.

And it was completely gone, and even if you did have the app already installed, the service would not work.

Then out of no where, Windows 10 and  Mobile was announced. This is probably Microsoft action here (speculation, I have nothing to base on anything), where they convinced the company (and probably fully paid the development, and maybe support for a 1-2 years to sweeten the deal). This convincing was probably helped thanks to Windows 10 system with the shared store. This probably applied to many apps... Microsoft has to pull a miracle to get the Surface Phone selling... at least in the US and parts of Europe.

Penetrating the US market is very hard, always has been. This is a famous saying by many companies. While the Surface branding will build a lot of hype, and an impressive phone will help push this, it still needs the core apps (banks, Spotify, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, Twitter, DropBox, Whastapp, Facebook Messager, Vine, etc.) I doubt Google will come in, same for Snapchat, but if Snapchat ever comes to the platform, with the CEO being 100% Microsoft hater in general, you can bet some briefcase of money was exchanged. But, as they say, you got to do, what you got to do.

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Some extra information on the Firmware release for 950 and 950XL;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdupdate/new-firmware-update-for-lumia-950950-xl/194a025a-317d-4c7f-882c-2ecb0f6c04fb?page=1

Please pay attention to what I highlighted in RED as there appears to be a lot of confusion to how the Firmware update will be handled. Firmware updates are sent out via the Cellular Carrier by mean of Over The Air (OTA) or through your Cellular connection not by WiFi via Microsoft update service.

This will be done in batches as well so be patient as it will take time to get it. Yes I know there is also the time to wait for Carriers to sign off on the update as well. :| 

The firmware update will Wipe your phone whether you are an insider or not, you will end up with a pre-release version of Windows Mobile 10. You will need to upgrade your phone's OS after the firmware update regardless.

It is strongly suggested to back up your phone before applying the firmware update.

I never got a firmware update on my phone that included any changes to the phone wireless network. I had to use the Device Recovery Tool, to wipe my phone, and install the firmware and re-join the Insider program and re-update the OS. I think my carrier doesn't care, as I won't be surprised if I am honestly the only Windows 10 Mobile user.

So I plug my phone on my computer each day and check.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I never got a firmware update on my phone that included any changes to the phone wireless network. I had to use the Device Recovery Tool, to wipe my phone, and install the firmware and re-join the Insider program and re-update the OS. I think my carrier doesn't care, as I won't be surprised if I am honestly the only Windows 10 Mobile user.

So I plug my phone on my computer each day and check.

Same Here. :|  T-Mobile US is not quite as bad as AT&T for firmware update releases but still bad.

I may have to sit down tomorrow and check the WDRT.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New Windows 10 Build: 14390

Known issues:

• Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. We heard your feedback and plan to release a Voice Recorder app update via the Store soon that has the fix for this issue.
  • Wallet users are prompted for a PIN twice when using tap to pay from a locked phone. You can enter their PIN twice and tap as usual once the phone is unlocked. A fix for this will come as a Wallet app update via the Store.

No fixes mentioned.

That is all.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/15/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14390-for-pc-and-mobile/

Ok Voice Recorder bugs are fixed, it now works!

Once updated to the latest build, head over the Store, and check for update on apps, and update to the latest version of the Voice Recorder (if you have auto-update, it might already be installed). Version that I got is: 10.1607.1931.0

Recording voice call is back. If you lost it, you just need to re-select "Voice Recorder" as default recording app in the Settings (Settings > System > Phone > "Choose app" link (under "Default apps" section) > Under "Calling" section, the middle drop down list, select: "Voice Recorder").

Ways to boost performance on Edge:

Type in the URL bar: about:config, and go there.

Under Networking section, check the box: "Enable TCP Fast Open", and kill and restart edge.

If you wonder what settings I have under about:config, the following are the ones I have enabled:

• Use Microsoft Compatibility List
  • Allow localhost loopback
  • Use Windows UI Composition
  • Compose scrollbar thumbs independly
  • Decode images with their rendered size
  • Use full stacking context for fixed position elements
  • Enable experimental select control (I am trying it.. not seeing a difference yet)
  • Enable responsive scrollbar scrolling
  • Enable experimental JavaScript features
  • Enable Opus audio format
  • Enable experimental H.264/AVC support
  • Enable Fetch JavaScript API
  • Enable TCP Fast Open
  • Enable Standard Fullscreen API

The rest they have been or was disabled.

I noticed that I lost my visual voice the last build umm 1437x, cant remember. I am on 14388 right now.

I hope it comes back ...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I noticed that I lost my visual voice the last build umm 1437x, cant remember. I am on 14388 right now.

I hope it comes back ...

Update to 14390

New Windows 10 Mobile build! Build 14393

• We fixed an issue resulting in rapid battery drain when Visual Voicemail syncs voicemail messages on Dual SIM devices like the Lumia 950 XL.
  • We also fixed an issue causing some battery drain on older devices like the Lumia 535, 640, 735, 830, 930 and Icon.
  • We fixed the issue causing Voice Recorder to not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. A app update was released last Friday that fixes this issue. Make sure you have the app version 10.1607.1931.0.
  • We fixed several issues impacting Dual SIM capabilities. Using a device with two SIMs should work as it should.

Known issues:

• We are continuing to investigate W-Fi issues on certain devices.
  • Turning off Bluetooth can sometimes result in freeze, crash, or reset. See this forum post for more details.
  • Wallet users are prompted for a PIN twice when using tap to pay from a locked phone. You can enter their PIN twice and tap as usual once the phone is unlocked. A fix for this will come as a Wallet app update via the Store.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/18/build14393/

On 7/15/2016 at 5:58 PM, GoodBytes said:

Update to 14390

did it... did not fix.

I will think about what to do later I am tired atm.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

did it... did not fix.

I will think about what to do later I am tired atm.

Ah crap.. my fault... for some reason I was thinking of Voice Recorder when you said Visual Voice.... WOW.. I was tired that moment.

So sorry!

I don't have this service with my provider, so sadly I can't help you there :/

http://www.windowscentral.com/us-lumia-950-ds-now-has-double-tap-wake-firmware

The firmware update is now available on the WDRT for North America.

This applies to unlocked Lumia 950 dual-SIM (NAM CV) only at the moment, according to the article.

For those hoping for improvements to the camera, it is in this firmware update. :D  I marked in red the things I am looking forward to.

The full changelog is below:

• Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
  • Support for double tap to wake enabled.
  • Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
  • Stability and reliability improvements.
  • Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
  • Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
  • Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.

Users will need to wipe their device and install Windows 10 Mobile 10586 (non-Redstone) to get the new firmware. We should also clarify a few things:

1. The update is not yet available over-the-air, but likely will come in the next few days
  2. This firmware is not for the AT&T-branded Lumia 950 single-SIM model
  3. The unlocked Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM (US) does not yet have the same firmware available on WDRT

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No, that is not true, or not really true.

I don't have it, and I see on forum many many many people still don't have, with AT&T and without (bought directly from Microsoft store)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

No, that is not true, or not really true.

I don't have it, and I see on forum many many many people still don't have, with AT&T and without (bought directly from Microsoft store)

Interesting. Well the article was posted yesterday, I haven't yet checked the WDRT myself.

Ill check now since I happen to be on my pc.

*edit

never mind, I'll have to wait I cannot find my usb-a to usb-c cord :( 

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Interesting. Well the article was posted yesterday, I haven't yet checked the WDRT myself.

Ill check now since I happen to be on my pc.

*edit

never mind, I'll have to wait I cannot find my usb-a to usb-c cord :( 

I check every day, multiple times a day. For both over the air, and with the WDRT.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I check every day, multiple times a day. For both over the air, and with the WDRT.

I am still limited at the moment since my pc is still at my parents house and I have no internet at my house. I have to go over to his house to do pretty much most things that need a high download or broad bandwidth... :( 

Hopefully this will change sooner rather than later.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Panorama mode has arrived to the Camera app!

You need to be on the latest Fast Ring to enjoy it.

Oh and it's real cool!

So, you swipe like to get the camera to film, but the other direction to get panorama mode, and you hold the phone vertically (portrait). Then you take 1 picture, then you just move the phone and it continues to take pictures after pictures after pictures, drawing the panorama view, and you see it built up, and it tells you to tilt more up or down, and such, and when it's done, it build 1 image out of it.

If you move/rotate on yourself too fast, you see steppings, and the image is blurry as if you moved the camera as you take a normal picture, so you need some practice, but it does a decent job.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Panorama mode has arrived to the Camera app!

<snip>

Finally, they kept us waiting for ..... so .... long. 

So I am digging the new Panoramic mode, I see now why they replaced the old one. 

Needs a little work though, the image processing needs to be a bit quicker but I am sure subsequent updates will improve it. I am going to suggest they add rotation for landscape mode as of right now you can only take the panorama in portrait mode which is OK and I can see the advantage in it, I guess from my pov it doesn't feel right holding my phone in portrait to take photos. :|  I'll get used to it if I have to.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ahh finally! The firmware update is now available through the recovery tool.

I have update the firmware, wipe my phone, and re-upgrading to the latest insider fast ring build

Not a cool move Amazon... :|

Found in my email inbox.

Hello,
We're contacting you because our records indicate that you have previously installed the Amazon App for Windows Phone from the Microsoft App Store. We will be retiring the app you currently have on your device, meaning its contents will no longer be updated. You will still have access to the app until August 15th, 2016. We encourage you to visit Amazon.com on your mobile browser where you will have access to our newest shopping features and customer experience.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sincerely,
Customer Service
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/

Not that I used the app much but it was nice to have for certain purchases. I am sad. :(

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ok so with the new firmware this is what I noticed:

• I can't comment on the improved wireless connection where some people reported to have issues with the Lumia 950 / 950 XL, as I never had this issue
  • Car Bluetooth connectivity has been improved, and so far it seems to be working well. However, i still need to check the box "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech" with my car. Remember that my car is brand new.
  • No magic happened where you can use Android Auto or Apple Car to connect your phone. I tried, my car doesn't detect any phones. If you wonder.
  • The camera, when you record video, the focus is now stable, solid, and focuses automatically properly. No more focus that was jumping around.
  • Double tap to wake works well, and I enjoy this feature
  • Still can't connect to my carrier LTE network, but that is most likely due to my carrier.
  • I have yet to try phone calls. I know since the last few builds, when I was getting a call in my car, I could not hear the person talking.

Not a new build, but a new update delivered bringing the Build number to: 14393.3

Not much info is known about this Windows update, but it is fixing the BSOD and issues Surface Pro 4 / Book where having on the desktop version that is, of course. But on mobile, no info yet.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Not a new build, but a new update delivered bringing the Build number to: 14393.3

Not much info is known about this Windows update, but it is fixing the BSOD and issues Surface Pro 4 / Book where having on the desktop version that is, of course. But on mobile, no info yet.

Oh damn. I'm literally gonna be buying a Pro 4 in 7-10 days. I hope I don't have this issue.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),