Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

So I updated my phone, and lots of bugs fixed in this build. No strange trick to get things working again, or anything like that. Everything seems, so far, to work as expected.

So it looks like Microsoft tried to rejuvenate Windows Phones........ But that didn't work out well.......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Anyone else notice the overall improved responsiveness and stability with the last update?

Also I noticed the front facing camera appears much clearer as well (Imo).

So far I think the team is really getting this down and getting us the experience that I was hoping for a year ago.

?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Anyone else notice the overall improved responsiveness and stability with the last update?

Also I noticed the front facing camera appears much clearer as well (Imo).

So far I think the team is really getting this down and getting us the experience that I was hoping for a year ago.

?

Yea! I like this build! MS did some fantastic work. Hope it continues.

Found a bug [I reported it already to MS]  the office software crashes when opening secured documents. Not sure why this happens but it is frustrating to me. :(  I keep/use secured docs on my phone. Hopefully it s resolved soon.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

TeamViewer arrives to Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. Not only you can use your phone to connect to another PC, but you can connect to another phone, and the phone can be connected to from a PC. In other words, full dual direction connectivity.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/teamviewer-remote-control/9wzdncrfj0rh?tduid=(8c14596cbf1adaa27d4dca911693ce62)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU44686)()

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

TeamViewer arrives to Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. Not only you can use your phone to connect to another PC, but you can connect to another phone, and the phone can be connected to from a PC. In other words, full dual direction connectivity.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/teamviewer-remote-control/9wzdncrfj0rh?tduid=(8c14596cbf1adaa27d4dca911693ce62)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU44686)()

Yeah I got an email about this but have not been able to read it yet. This is cool.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New build of Windows 10 Mobile, but nothing to really report. Like the PC version, nothing of interest beside the new update system

Build is 14959

Bugs fixes:

• The data usage page in Settings via Settings > Network & wireless > Data usage has been updated with performance and UI improvements.
    Updated data settings usage
  • We fixed issues preventing Insiders from adding cards to Wallet and paying using tap to pay.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in being unexpectedly able to close Start in the task switcher.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in certain options for default calling app via Settings > System > Phone > Default apps from being unexpectedly missing.
  • We fixed an issue causing apps that play media in the background, such as Groove Music, to stop when Battery Saver turns on.
  • We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced where the phone would get into a state where copy/paste wouldn’t work until the device had been restarted.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings might hang after unchecking “Let apps automatically use this VPN connection” in VPN Settings.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14959-for-mobile-and-pc/#16EjX9lCKiYC8ItL.97

I had 0 issues getting the update this time, and so far everything seems to be working just as well as the last build, which is very well.

New Build on Windows 10 Mobile. Build 14965.

Nothing new. Just bug fixes:

• We fixed an issue where, when using Cortana in French (France or Canada), the “Prendre une <photo/video/selfie>” (take a picture, video, or selfie) command was redirecting to a Bing search rather than opening the Camera app as expected.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Cortana crashing if you typed “Create an appointment” then tapped on the resulting suggestion to “Create an appointment”.
  • We improved the performance for English (India) text prediction.
  • We fixed an issue in Data Usage Settings, where after selecting the data plan to be unlimited, it would still prompt to set a limit. We’ve also made it easier in the Data Usage Settings for those with dual SIM phones to differentiate between the cellular data use on each SIM, and fixed a few other polish issues, including that the sort by dropdown on the Usage Details page was unexpectedly wide.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator wasn’t giving feedback when adjusting sliders, for example in Settings, or in the Volume flyout.
  • We fixed a migration issue resulting in Microsoft Edge to fail to launch for some Insiders after updating to a new build.

Read more:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14965-for-mobile-and-pc/#7AW64VghS0OUxqOI.97

I have not updated to Build 14965 yet but I will over the weekend hopefully.

Found a new bug in the build 14959 that prevents the Pandora app from streaming properly, pretty much I have to push play for each song. Very irritating and I hope that build 14965 will fix the issue.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Build 14965

Language Packs for PC have been slightly delayed for this build. For those of you with Language Packs installed, we recommend holding off checking for updates and taking this build until the Language Packs are published. We expect these to be fully published later today. UPDATE: Language Packs for PC are now available.

*edit 

Oops that was meant for the PC sub.... lol sorry, posted correctly now.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well I am am fully updated now on my 950xl and my issues that cropped up in the previous build have not been fixed, i.e. Pandora doesn't stream properly and Word crashes when opening a secure doc. quess I will have to put up for a while longer ... kinda sucks, I miss my Pandora. :( 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Well I am am fully updated now on my 950xl and my issues that cropped up in the previous build have not been fixed, i.e. Pandora doesn't stream properly and Word crashes when opening a secure doc. quess I will have to put up for a while longer ... kinda sucks, I miss my Pandora. :( 

I don't have Pandora in Canada to test. Searching for it gets me to a Canadian Jewelry store with the same name, it is that bad in terms of signs coming to Canada.

Can't test secured Word docs, as I don't have one.

Right now, I am having issues with battery life. and Groove music with Bluetooth showing errors when disconnects (say you turn off your car), and not resuming music after call...

But! Maps now report correction system for wrong or missing map data, Store app now has a new item in the hamburger menu: "Add work or school account". And I just notice a "Redeem a code" with QR scanner (when you pick it), to redeem store purchase credit. Skype SMS finally works for me on both phone and PC.. so I got SMS Messaging anywhere thingy working.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't have Pandora in Canada to test. Searching for it gets me to a Canadian Jewelry store with the same name, it is that bad in terms of signs coming to Canada.

Can't test secured Word docs, as I don't have one.

Right now, I am having issues with battery life. and Groove music with Bluetooth showing errors when disconnects (say you turn off your car), and not resuming music after call...

But! Maps now report correction system for wrong or missing map data, Store app now has a new item in the hamburger menu: "Add work or school account". And I just notice a "Redeem a code" with QR scanner (when you pick it), to redeem store purchase credit. Skype SMS finally works for me on both phone and PC.. so I got SMS Messaging anywhere thingy working.

Since you mention it, I have noticed a decrease in battery life... didn't think much of it cuz I have been using it pretty heavily with some battery sucking tasks.

What the heck MS? the last two bug bashes didn't work out so well... but alas this is why we are previewers to experience and report so the eggheads over there can fix them. :D 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Since you mention it, I have noticed a decrease in battery life... didn't think much of it cuz I have been using it pretty heavily with some battery sucking tasks.

What the heck MS? the last two bug bashes didn't work out so well... but alas this is why we are previewers to experience and report so the eggheads over there can fix them. :D 

It just feels strange, as a user, that you have the same issues come in and out at every other build.

I am sure it is because they are working things on the back, and OS being so complicated, it affects certain things (creates bug) that trickles down through the many layers to end up with similar effect as other bugs. Personally, I just wish that the company just focuses like crazy on Bluetooth support. Fix all issues, makes sure it works with all cars properly (full support), and bluetooth connected devices like earpieces and speakers (from what I see in the feedback hub).

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It just feels strange, as a user, that you have the same issues come in and out at every other build.

I am sure it is because they are working things on the back, and OS being so complicated, it affects certain things (creates bug) that trickles down through the many layers to end up with similar effect as other bugs. Personally, I just wish that the company just focuses like crazy on Bluetooth support. Fix all issues, makes sure it works with all cars properly (full support), and bluetooth connected devices like earpieces and speakers (from what I see in the feedback hub).

I didn't think much of it but now even in Build 14393 Mobile, battery is draining faster than it used to.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ok not the correct place to post this But there is watch made for Windows Mobile :D 

Its called the Vector Smart Watch. I will be posting in News and Reviews here shortly.

Source: http://www.windowscentral.com/vector-smartwatch-review?bt_ee=kClM2FoqV/A2C2HnMhx3rxAkaBw7KHXjU+va2EW8337cbIRK3ZqIDs38Ap0w4ZVr&bt_ts=1479406260410

Source: https://www.vectorwatch.com/

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Meh, you can post here.. I don't mind. It needs more life this thread.

I believe I already talked about it here... not sure if it was a new items or a thread. It actually been a long time this watch was released with Windows Phone 8 and Windows 10 Mobile app (actual UWP app for Windows 10 Mobile, if I recall correctly).

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Meh, you can post here.. I don't mind. It needs more life this thread.

I believe I already talked about it here... not sure if it was a new items or a thread. It actually been a long time this watch was released with Windows Phone 8 and Windows 10 Mobile app (actual UWP app for Windows 10 Mobile, if I recall correctly).

Yeah its been mentioned before back in September, I had forgotten about it.

The reason I bring it up now I guess is that Windows Central did a full review of it and I like the conclusion they came up with on it... I got an email today about the review.

I am thinking strongly about getting one. :)  That battery life and minimalist design is a strong selling point for me.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah its been mentioned before back in September, I had forgotten about it.

The reason I bring it up now I guess is that Windows Central did a full review of it and I like the conclusion they came up with on it... I got an email today about the review.

I am thinking strongly about getting one. :)  That battery life and minimalist design is a strong selling point for me.

Awesome! It is indeed a nice watch! It is awesome that they are fans of the Windows phone platform in the company. But it won't pick up anything until Microsoft feels the OS is ready.. and let's be honest.. it isn't, because the only way to make a splash, is that it is remarkable with new remarkable hardware. And to be that, it needs to have multi-tasking (2 apps on screen, at least on large phones), multi-window continuum with an actual Windows 10 desktop, MirrorLink support (Android auto), and improved Bluetooth just to be like current modern phones, with someone interesting in terms of added features (Continuum), beside GUI. Sadly, I feel that this will take a long time due to the low resources behind the team. Most advancements are due to the apps done for Windows 10.

Until now, it has its fan base, much like the Zune, GameCube, and many other underrated products.

As for the review... well.. it is from Windows Central... I mean... that is like reading a review on Apple fan site about a new Apple product. Even The Verge could not resist saying how awesome and great value the $300 Apple Book is. As for the Surface Studio, as much as Windows/Microsoft centric sites like to say how amazing it is, and general bloggers are impressed with it, the reality is that the pen has not been improved, and faces tracking issues where if you are fast with the pen, doing multiple strokes, it registers a bit before the pen hit the glass, doing lines where you don't want them, the pen has issues with diagonals line when drawn slowly (makes it wavy... although some software smooth them out, but still), and Surface Dial slides on the screen, even at the most steepest angle. All things that will clearly be fixed on the second gen hardware, as the pen technology probably had in mind power efficiency in its designed for mobile systems... not to mention that N-Trig technology was designed for writing not drawing... but these can make it a deal breaker for artists... (Wacom Cintiq main issue, is just lag) stuff like this is just not talked. Not to say that the Surface Studio is crap... I mean many artists enjoy the Surface Pro and Book.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Windows Central Slow ring users both PC and Mobile recieved Build 14393.479 it was released yesterday.

I did not see a posting on the Windows insider forum on this though... *shrug* so I cannot post the change log.

Yay ... I am still waiting for the next Fast Ring release build 1497x.xxx ...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New Build for Windows 10 Mobile (nothing on PC yet).

Build 14977 for the Fast Ring

What's new?

• You can now read unprotected e-books in Edge like you could on the desktop, and you have the same customizability options

What's fix?

A lot

• We’ve changed the rendering technology used for many types of UWP app content, so please provide feedback through the Feedback Hub if you notice any new visual glitches in UWP apps.
  • Alarms sent by 3rd party alarm apps will now break through Cortana’s Quiet Hours – we appreciate all the app developers who logged feedback requesting this, keep it coming!
  • We’ve removed the top-level option in Notification Settings to disable alarms on the lock screen – alarm reliability is a top priority for us, and we’ve found this setting was frequently enabled accidentally, without awareness that it would stop alarms from waking the phone when the phone was locked. For those who still wish to enable this setting, it’s will continue to be available under the per-app notification settings.
  • Notifications from Settings can now be customized or disabled – option is available under Settings > System > Notifications > Settings
  • We have enabled OAuth support for Yahoo Mail accounts. This will improve sync reliability for those accounts, and provide a secure experience while browsing your email.
  • We fixed an issue where disconnecting and reconnecting a wired headset while watching a video might result the audio no longer working.
  • We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced where certain music apps would unexpectedly stop playing music after a single song.
  • We fixed an issue where closing a tab in Microsoft Edge, exiting the app, and then relaunching it would sometimes result in Edge opening to a blank page with the closed tab’s web address in the URL bar.
  • We fixed an issue where the Start Settings page wasn’t rendering when opened on external screen while using Continuum.
  • We’ve made a number of translation improvements, including, for French (France and Canada) speakers, fixing a grammatical error in the “Don’t Forget!” text seen when shutting down the phone so it now says “N’oubliez pas”, and for Chinese speakers, fixing an issue where the option to clear the Chinese Input Method Editor’s input history was displaying in English rather than Chinese. If you see any other translations that aren’t as you’d expect, please log feedback – we’re listening!
  • We fixed an issue where, if the setting to show notifications above lock had been turned off, booting the device and immediately checking the Action Center while the phone was locked could result in the Action Center not displaying any notifications after the phone had been unlocked.
  • We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced where the Camera app might not appear after using the hardware camera button while the screen was off or while on the Glance screen.
  • We fixed an issue where Bangla (Bangladesh) keyboard text prediction might stop working after entering character followed by a vowel mark.

Known issues:

• Please avoid attempting to install new languages, keyboards, and speech packs on your phone. There is a chance these downloads may get stuck and not finish downloading. If you have existing languages, keyboards, and speech packs installed – they will carry over when you update to new builds. You can use Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile, install any languages, keyboards, and speech packs you need and then update to the latest build in the Fast ring as a workaround.
  • Windows 10 phones with 8GB of internal storage such as the Lumia 550 and 650 will likely receive an 0x800700b7 error when attempting to update to this build.
  • System related notification toasts (e.g. Bluetooth, USB/Autoplay, etc.) do not work.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/12/01/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14977-mobile/#BKSUkYZC3DMOjvLV.97

Ok so.  So far this is what i noticed:

• Screen wakes up fast now.
  • Bluetooth connects to an already established connection much faster than before.
  • New options under Edge about:config page, but I didn't notice they do anything on or off.
  • Improvement on the "screen turn on" action it does when you look at the phone during a phone call.

Insiders on both Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile who lives in the US (of course, US only, it's not like other countries exists), and that has physical Microsoft store near them can enjoy 10% off on any purchase they do (except the Surface Studio).

Here are the dates where this offer is available:

Arizona
• Scottsdale Fashion Square
December 13, 2016 — 11am – 1pm

California
• The Village at Corte Madera
December 2 & 3, 2016 — 9am – 10am
• The Village at Corte Madera
December 4, 2016 — 10am – 11am
• South Coast Plaza: Costa Mesa
December 12, 2016 — 9am – 11am
• Westfield San Francisco Centre
December 16, 2016 — 5pm – 7pm
• The Shops at Mission Viejo
December 20, 2016 — 3pm – 5pm

Connecticut
• Westfarms: Farmington
December 2, 2016 — 6pm – 8pm

Georgia
• Perimeter Mall: Atlanta
December 14, 2016 — 8am – 10am

Hawaii
• Ala Moana Center: Honolulu
December 11, 2016 — 9am – 11am

Illinois
• Woodfield Mall: Schaumburg
December 7, 2016 — 5pm – 8pm

Kansas
• Oak Park Mall: Overland Park
December 13, 2016 — 8:30am – 10am

Maryland
• Westfield Montgomery: Bethesda
December 19, 2016 — 10am – 12pm

Michigan
• The Somerset Collection: Troy
December 16, 2016 — 9am – 11am

Minnesota
• Mall of America: Bloomington
December 16, 2016 — 6pm – 8pm

Missouri
• St. Louis Galleria
December 8, 2016 — 4pm – 6pm

New York
• Walden Galleria: Buffalo
December 10, 2016 — 10am – 12pm

North Carolina
• SouthPark: Charlotte
December 15, 2016 — 9am – 10am

Ohio
• Easton Towne Center: Columbus
December 16, 2016 — 10am – 12pm

Oklahoma
• Penn Square Mall: Oklahoma City
December 15, 2016 — 6pm – 8pm

Puerto Rico
• Plaza Las Américas: San Juan
December 8, 2016 — 6pm – 8pm

Texas
• The Domain: Austin
December 8, 2016 — 7pm – 9pm
• Shops at La Cantera: San Antonio
December 8, 2016 — 6pm – 9pm
• NorthPark Center: Dallas
December 10, 2016 — 9am – 11am

Virginia
• Tysons Corner Center
December 18, 2016 — 12pm – 2pm

Washington
• Bellevue Square Mall
December 16, 2016 — 7pm – 10pm

US only, complicated, 1 date only, physical store only..... sounds like a deal.

Source: https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-rewards-windows-10-insiders-with-10-holiday-discount-in-physical-stores-only