Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

Office VLC UWP has arrived.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/vlc/9nblggh4vvnh

Seems to be working great on my phone.

Please note to not be confused with the Windows Phone 8 app VLC version currently released in the store.

Search on the store for "VideoLAN", and you'll see "VLC" as a result.

"VLC for Windows Phone" is not the correct app. That one is from VideoLabs, some other group of people that made a Windows Phon 8 version based on the source code of VLC.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Office VLC UWP has arrived.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/vlc/9nblggh4vvnh

Seems to be working great on my phone.

Please note to not be confused with the Windows Phone 8 app VLC version currently released in the store.

Search on the store for "VideoLAN", and you'll see "VLC" as a result.

"VLC for Windows Phone" is not the correct app. That one is from VideoLabs, some other group of people that made a Windows Phon 8 version based on the source code of VLC.

It also works on HoloLens!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Check your Lumia Offer app, depending on your phone, you can have Office 365 Personal for 1 year for free.

This is the last day for the offer.

New Build! Build 14379

Bug fixes:

• We fixed an issue that could result in a stray focus rectangle becoming visible in certain apps, such as Groove or Cortana, after bringing up the keyboard.
  • We fixed an issue where the aspect ratio of images on live tile wasn’t preserved if they need to be shrunk, leading to them appearing stretched.

That is all....

Same known issues as before.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/30/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14379-for-pc-and-mobile/

New Release Preview Build!

This build appears to only contain bug fixes and performance improvements. There is no official change log for some reason.......

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

New Release Preview Build!

This build appears to only contain bug fixes and performance improvements. There is no official change log for some reason.......

Probably has not been posted yet. I have noticed this in the past,  the team will advance the release of the build before the update to the blog... :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Some owners of the Lumia 950 XL in Russia, and India discovered a new firmware update via the recovery tool, which once installed, their device has double tap to wake feature.

Unlike OS updates or apps, firmware needs to be specifically done for the device hardware. Different manufactures of certain parts or even revision, makes firmware VERY time consuming to arrive. If any of it is really true (double tap to wake), it could be that Microsoft is aiming to provide this feature to most users of the Lumia 950 XL, and possibly 950 as well, before August 2, which the official release of the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 / 10 Mobile (aka: Redstone 1).

Source:http://www.windowscentral.com/double-tap-wake-slowly-being-released-windows-device-recovery-lumias

On 7/1/2016 at 5:22 PM, GoodBytes said:

Some owners of the Lumia 950 XL in Russia, and India discovered a new firmware update via the recovery tool, which once installed, their device has double tap to wake feature.

Unlike OS updates or apps, firmware needs to be specifically done for the device hardware. Different manufactures of certain parts or even revision, makes firmware VERY time consuming to arrive. If any of it is really true (double tap to wake), it could be that Microsoft is aiming to provide this feature to most users of the Lumia 950 XL, and possibly 950 as well, before August 2, which the official release of the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 / 10 Mobile (aka: Redstone 1).

Source:http://www.windowscentral.com/double-tap-wake-slowly-being-released-windows-device-recovery-lumias

Interesting, I will have to keep an eye out for this.

The new feature appears to part of firmware version 01078.00053.16236.35009. That is a substantial jump from 01078.00038.16082.36005, which is the latest for the Lumia 950 XL in the US.

My phones firmware is older than the one they are comparing the new one to:

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

SoundCloud says that they are looking into developing a UWP App for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile app.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/soundcloud-looking-windows-10-app

This (with all other apps) really shows how the idea of UWP is a good one for the mobile platform. A cleaver idea indeed.

Hopefully, by the time the "Surface Phone" is released, all the cores apps for most people will be there, at least for many reviewers, and have a decent experience, and no big features missing from Android and iOS app versions.

This momentum needs to continue, and we have to hope that Microsoft continues to work hard on the mobile OS (especially get that Bluetooth working properly... so many issues still).

New Mobile build!

Build 14383

As usual, bug fixes and improvements:

• We have improved battery performance for those who tend to quickly turn the screen on and off in order to look at the Lock screen.
  • We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where zooming in and out of embedded maps could sometimes result in the map jumping to an unexpected location.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in volume mute not working on certain devices, such as the Lumia 640, when playing YouTube videos that use the OPUS audio codec.
  • We fixed an issue where if you are connected to a car via Bluetooth that supports it, tapping “End Call” on the car’s console wouldn’t work while an incoming text was being announced.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being about to make Store purchases using mobile operator billing when using an Orange SIM.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Groove sometimes unexpectedly pausing music after music has manually been paused and resumed.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the keyboard sometimes outputting @ and € instead of “a” and “e” for certain languages in Windows Phone 8.1 apps.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in many Windows Phone 8.1 games seeming to play in slow motion on certain devices, such as the Lumia 535.
  • We fixed an issue where notifications received while the screen was off didn’t take into consideration the proximity sensor, resulting in the screen turning on to display the notification while in pockets, potentially leading to accidental screen presses.
  • We fixed an issue where Visual Voicemail setup wouldn’t appear after hard resetting the device.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in tiles pinned from within apps sometimes being blank and not falling back to show the app name within the tile. Also fixed an issue where “SIM 2” title was missing from pinned Messaging and Phone tiles for the second SIM.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in incorrect Start screen scaling after switching from Continuum/Extended Desktop to Mirrored/Duplicated screen on devices with a non-default DPI.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in there sometimes being a delay when showing the missed call count on the Phone app Live tile.

Known issues:

• Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording.
  • You can open PDFs in Microsoft Edge but won’t be able to use touch to interact with the PDF (such as scrolling, pan or zoom). When you try to use touch to interact with a PDF, it will constantly reload the PDF.
  • REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14383-for-pc-and-mobile/

New firmware for Lumia 950 and 950 XL owners!

Microsoft officially releases/announces a new firmware for Lumia 950 / 950 XL users. It features new things, bug fixes and improvement

• Double Tab to wake has arrived
  • Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixing connection issues that some users faced
  • Update Bluetooth Stack, improving Bluetooth connectivity
  • Stability and reliability improvements.
  • Camera improvements (both video and taking pictures), including auto-focus improvements, and fixed issues with slow motion mode skipping frames
  • Cellular connectivity improvements
  • Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.

It is being released for all users, regardless of the Insider build you are on (not sure on official build), and in waves. And it varies based on region and carrier.

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdupdate/new-firmware-update-for-lumia-950950-xl/194a025a-317d-4c7f-882c-2ecb0f6c04fb?auth=1

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yeah I noticed the Voice recorder issue as well. I don't have much need for it really but there have been some calls that it could have been handy for. . .

I am excited for the new build and Firmware update though. :D Will download tonight or tomorrow.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

For me, Voice recorder is not only gone from call since the last build, but when you run it, and you record something, you can't play it back. I am stuck at either a loading screen, or the play button doesn't work.

I think the one time I tried it, it showed up as recording the call and then saved but I could not find the saved file to play back. *shrugs* hopefully they figure this out and fix it.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I think we all know this from common sense, but heck I'll say it in the case they are other readers:

Microsoft clarifies that Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for Windows 8 Phone user will remain free after July 29.

There wont' be any costs to upgrade to it.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-will-not-end-on-july-29-for-mobile

On 7/7/2016 at 1:10 PM, GoodBytes said:

New firmware for Lumia 950 and 950 XL owners!

Microsoft officially releases/announces a new firmware for Lumia 950 / 950 XL users. It features new things, bug fixes and improvement

• Double Tab to wake has arrived
  • Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixing connection issues that some users faced
  • Update Bluetooth Stack, improving Bluetooth connectivity
  • Stability and reliability improvements.
  • Camera improvements (both video and taking pictures), including auto-focus improvements, and fixed issues with slow motion mode skipping frames
  • Cellular connectivity improvements
  • Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.

It is being released for all users, regardless of the Insider build you are on (not sure on official build), and in waves. And it varies based on region and carrier.

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdupdate/new-firmware-update-for-lumia-950950-xl/194a025a-317d-4c7f-882c-2ecb0f6c04fb?auth=1

Awesome and suck at the same time.

I have T-Mobile so I probably wont get this firmware update. :( I hope there will be another way to get this.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Awesome and suck at the same time.

I have T-Mobile so I probably wont get this firmware update. :( I hope there will be another way to get this.

Well I still don't have it on my side, if you wonder. Even the recovery tool says that the firmware I have (old) is the latest version.

I noticed that in North America, we are getting firmware pretty much last. I guess, it kinda makes sense as Europe has a higher marketshare than North America (which is really U.S... I am one of the very few in Canada with a Lumia 950 / 950 XL)

New Windows 10 Mobile Build. We are at Build 14385.

• You can open PDFs in Microsoft Edge and use touch to interact with the PDF (such as scrolling, pan or zoom) again without it constantly reloading the PDF.
  • We have improved battery life for older devices, such as the Lumia 830, 930, and 1520.
  • We fixed an issue where setting the SIM name on a dual SIM phone would sometimes fail.

Known issues:

• Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. We heard your feedback and are working actively on this.
  • The keyboard doesn’t show up consistently for InPrivate mode on Microsoft Edge. We’re working on this. A workaround is to click on the Microsoft privacy statement hyperlink on that page and then the keyboard works in the search/address bar. We’re working on fixing this.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14385-for-pc-and-mobile/

the New York Times has rebuilt it's crossword app for Windows 10.

The New York Times Crossword app is now fully Windows 10 compatible and built as a single app that will work across your mobile and desktop devices. This should provide greater stability and reliability for our new and dedicated solvers.

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-york-times-crossword-app-gets-rebuild-windows-10

Build 14388

This build feature 44 bug fixes and improvements including battery life improvements, Microsoft says. Here are the big ones:

• We have updated the Store to version 11606.1001.39 with bug fixes.
  • We fixed the issue causing the keyboard to not show up consistently for InPrivate mode on Microsoft Edge.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in an app getting into a state after being suspended where it would be unable to launch until rebooting the device.
  • Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. We heard your feedback and plan to release a Voice Recorder app update via the Store soon that has the fix for this issue.
  • Wallet users are prompted for a PIN twice when using tap to pay from a locked phone. You can enter their PIN twice and tap as usual once the phone is unlocked

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14388-for-pc-and-mobile/

Introducing Windows 10 Mobile Release Preview 10586.494 xD. This has to be one of the last for a while.

No changelog available but I think we can all assume this is just bug fixes and performance improvements.

EDIT: Here is a rough changelog:

Fixed many issues including Backing up settings, Silverlight issues and authentication issues.

And security updates for Microsoft Edge and Windows Kernel.

American Express is gonna release a UWP app soon.

American Express plans to re-launch its Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app for Windows 10 at some point this week. The company made the announcement on Twitter, though did not provide a specific date for the app's return to the Windows Store.

http://www.windowscentral.com/american-express-universal-app-returning-windows-store-week

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:
1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Well that is cool and all but they already had an app out. (I have been using it for a couple of years now.)

What is different? Besides UWP. Improvements, fails?

Please share. I am at work so I cannot download. I have no signal at work...

*edit

This is the MS app store description.

Download the Amex app and log in to your American Express account securely on any Windows 10 device, virtually anytime, anywhere. Get instant access to features available on AmericanExpress.com when you’re on the go. Stay connected and get the most out of your American Express experience.  

Never miss a payment

• Pay your bill

• Enroll in AutoPay

• Enroll in Paperless Statements  

Stay informed

• Keep track of recent activity

• Access [monthly billing] statements (past 6 months)

• View your FICO® Score  

Reap the benefits

• Save with Amex Offers 

• Watch your purchases increase your Rewards Program balance   

App and app features are available only for eligible Card accounts in the United States. American Express® prepaid cards and cards issued by non-American Express issuers are not eligible. To log in, Card Members must have an American Express user ID and password. Enrollment is available in the app.

This app works for U.S. users only.

The December 2015 update is available to users with Windows 10 only.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER