Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
56 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Interesting. But still not good enough. For App developers to take Windows Phone seriously, the market share needs to increase to at least 30%........

Nha. Microsoft needs to get 10% market share. If they do this, expect Google apps, expect big companies to actively support the platform.

30% is if you want the small apps from startups and such to come out last on the platform, but at least comes out (unless the Windows users spend more or the same money than iOS users).

Reaching ~10% market share should not be hard for Microsoft. If they really want, they can. But so far, they just don't care... maybe because Microsoft doesn't feel confident in its product, or feels that it isn't ready yet. I don't know... that is a mystery to me. But it is what it is.

Passing that ~10% mark will be very difficult, however.

42 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Nha. Microsoft needs to get 10% market share. If they do this, expect Google apps, expect big companies to actively support the platform.

30% is if you want the small apps from startups and such to come out last on the platform, but at least comes out (unless the Windows users spend more or the same money than iOS users).

Reaching ~10% market share should not be hard for Microsoft. If they really want, they can. But so far, they just don't care... maybe because Microsoft doesn't feel confident in its product, or feels that it isn't ready yet. I don't know... that is a mystery to me. But it is what it is.

Passing that ~10% mark will be very difficult, however.

But how will they reach 10%?

When they were at 3% nobody cared so why should they care at 10%?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But how will they reach 10%?

When they were at 3% nobody cared so why should they care at 10%?

Compelling phone, compelling OS and marketing. The Lumia 950 / 950 XL success was limited to limited OS feature. Now it is much better, as we can see ourselves, but it still missing key features that consumers and business users expects.

Anyone else noticed the Photos app switching to full screen on its own when viewing photos and not touching anything for a few seconds? It's like I coded that in my sleep without noticing. Someone read my mind.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In the U.S, Chase bank announces that they will support Windows 10 Mobile wallet feature. However, plans for it will be in 2017.

This is based on the following tweet:

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/chase-bank-to-support-microsoft-wallet-but-not-until-next-year

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to open up the Wallet Tap to Pay on Lumia 640XL.........

It has NFC so IDK if it'll work or not.

Also, not a single Asian Bank officially supports this Microsoft Wallet thing :(.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to open up the Wallet Tap to Pay on Lumia 640XL.........

It has NFC so IDK if it'll work or not.

Also, not a single Asian Bank officially supports this Microsoft Wallet thing :(.

Well, Banks requires a special NFC technology. So not all phones with NFC support payment. This holds true on Android also. You have to make sure that the phone that has NFC support payment as well.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, Banks requires a special NFC technology. So not all phones with NFC support payment. This holds true on Android also. You have to make sure that the phone that has NFC support payment as well.

How can I find out if it does?

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

How can I find out if it does?

I am not sure. I forgot.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, GoodBytes said:

In the U.S, Chase bank announces that they will support Windows 10 Mobile wallet feature. However, plans for it will be in 2017.

This is based on the following tweet:

<snip>

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/chase-bank-to-support-microsoft-wallet-but-not-until-next-year

About time.... :|:dry:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New Windows 10 Mobile build. Build 14946

HOWEVER, if you have installed any speech pack, the update will NOT install. Even uninstalling them will not work (fail to install), Microsoft said.

They are working on it.

If your phone has additional speech packs installed – this build will fail to install on your phone with an 0x80188319 error. This is why we polled Insiders about language pack usage this week. Based on the response, we decided to push forward and send the latest bits. This issue will be fixed in the next build we release. NOTE: Removing speech packs will not correct the issue. Your device will continue to try and download and install the update and fail. It is recommended you move to the Slow ring until this issue is fixed.

What is New?

• Separate screen time-out settings when using Continuum for Phone

• Updated Wi-Fi Settings page. The transition from the old Win8Phone to the new Window 10 Mobile panel continues. Also, 'Turn Wi-Fi back on' feature has been added, where you can set a time period (manually only, in 1h, in 4h, in 1 day) you want for it to turn back on  ('manual' will not turn wi-fi back on automatically)

• Option to remove a word from user dictionary

We learn from your typing on the phone and build up a local user dictionary that adapts the keyboard prediction, autocorrection and shape writing experiences to your language style. Sometimes you may type a misspelled word and send it as is, sometimes you may tap on a red squiggled word and then tap the “+” sign by accident. Both save the unwanted word into your user dictionary, and it may appear when you type something similar in the future. Now you have a way to manually remove bad entries: tap on the word you don’t like in the text box, and you will see a candidate that is the word with a “-“ sign before it. Tapping on that candidate will remove the word completely from your user dictionary and no longer suggest it.

What's fixed:

• We fixed the issue causing you to get into a state where text messages will fail to send.
  • When your phone is connected to your PC, long lists of captured photos will now load significantly faster in File Explorer.
  • We’ve updated Narrator’s reading order for Windows 10 apps which display an app bar on the bottom of the app, for example OneDrive, so now the contents of the page will be read before the contents of the app bar
  • We fixed an issue resulting in video thumbnails sometimes not being shown in WhatsApp – videos received from this build onwards will display a thumbnail.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Camera  app video recordings having a slight crackle to their audio in recent builds.

To read more on it: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/13/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14946-for-pc-and-mobile/#5UZhhMI04S1ot7Qp.97

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

New Windows 10 Mobile build. Build 14946

HOWEVER, if you have installed any speech pack, the update will NOT install. Even uninstalling them will not work (fail to install), Microsoft said.

They are working on it.

What is New?

• Separate screen time-out settings when using Continuum for Phone

• Updated Wi-Fi Settings page. The transition from the old Win8Phone to the new Window 10 Mobile panel continues. Also, 'Turn Wi-Fi back on' feature has been added, where you can set a time period (manually only, in 1h, in 4h, in 1 day) you want for it to turn back on  ('manual' will not turn wi-fi back on automatically)

• Option to remove a word from user dictionary

The known issues have been mitigated according to their blog.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The known issues have been mitigated according to their blog.

Awesome! This one affected me.

After upgrading, if apps don't start, or the system behaves strangely, just force restart it (Press and hold Power button for several seconds until it reboots).

After the restart, the phone works great. Post feedback on the issue if you have it.

[edit]

Make that twice in a row... now everything will work great

[/edit]

New York police is upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile

https://mspoweruser.com/nypd-looking-to-upgrade-36000-phones-to-windows-10-mobile/

The department noted they chose the OS over iOS and Android for its security and manageability, and they are now looking to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile to take enable new features, including connecting to the city’s array of security cameras or two-way digital dispatch.

They use custom apps specific for their work.  Having a Windows Phone with these custom apps, has help increase by 12% faster their response time, something that the police is very pleased.

Ok, now we are starting to see some things.

If you update the Camera apps (must be on Fast Ring), you can enjoy a new UI and new features.

• Time Laps feature (every 2s, 5s, 10s)
  • Icons are more visible
  • Direct access to Timer button (2s, 5s, 10s, off). Before it was under a menu.
  • Gear icon for the menu, instead of "..." button.
  • Digital Zoom level indicator shows when you zoom in, so now you know if you are fully zoomed-out or in, or half way, etc.

Overall, a cleaner UI.

Have a look :)

Some interesting news. Battlefield 1 Companion app is actually coming on Windows 10 Mobile, and not just iOS and Android. :)

The game lunches Oct 21st. So stay tune for that if you'll get the game.

57 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Some interesting news. Battlefield 1 Companion app is actually coming on Windows 10 Mobile, and not just iOS and Android. :)

The game lunches Oct 21st. So stay tune for that if you'll get the game.

Yay :).

New Windows 10 Mobile build. We are at Build 14951.

What's New?

The camera app was updated, as previously mentioned. But now Microsoft is mentioning what is new for both Mobile and PC:

• Enjoy taking photos, videos, and panoramas with our higher-contrast capture buttons.
  • Set a photo timer right from the camera dashboard with our new toggle control.
  • Get to Settings faster! Now, launch into Settings directly from the camera UI.
  • Access your camera roll with one hand from its new spot on the screen.
  • Zoom more easily with the new zoom slider.
  • Make sure you nailed the shot, with a more noticeable capture animation.
  • Change between front- and rear-facing cameras with a more prominent button control.
  • On PC, use the spacebar as a shortcut to take pictures

What's fixed?

• Following feedback discussing French punctuation rules, we’ve updated our French keyboards (with the exception of French (Canada), for which these rules don’t apply) to now add a space both before and after when using two-part punctuation marks, such as the semi-colon, the colon, the question mark and the exclamation mark.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Camera shutter sounds entry missing from the Sounds Settings page via Settings > Personalization > Sounds
  •  

Known issues:

• Signing into apps such as Feedback Hub, Groove, MSN News, etc. with your Microsoft Account if you sign out or get signed out of these apps will not work. If this happens to you and you cannot sign in to Feedback Hub, you can send us feedback via the forums.
  • When rebooting a phone on this build and Build 14946 from last week, the device appears to get “stuck” on the blue Windows logo screen during the boot cycle. We have identified 2 bugs causing this issue and working to check in fixes soon. However, being “stuck” is only temporary. Depending on which device you have, your phone may be in this stuck state for 20-30 minutes, but it will eventually progress to the Lock screen. There is no permanent impact from these 2 bugs, just an unexpectedly long boot time. Please don’t reset your device! It’ll take longer to reset the device than it will to wait for the boot cycle to complete.
  • Excel Mobile will freeze after adding sheets and eventually crashes.
  • Insiders who have configured a data limit on their phone may get into a state where they receive frequent notifications about having exceeded this limit. To resolve the issue, please go into Settings > Device & Network > Data Usage and remove and recreate your data limit settings.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14951-for-mobile-and-pc/#ce6CPfTZKqAaWIHw.97

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

New Windows 10 Mobile build. We are at Build 14951.

What's New?

The camera app was updated, as previously mentioned. But now Microsoft is mentioning what is new for both Mobile and PC:

What's fixed?

Known issues:

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14951-for-mobile-and-pc/#ce6CPfTZKqAaWIHw.97

I feel like I want to try Fast Ring builds but they have too many bugs...

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

They are not that bad.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The only bug on mobile I have, is the proximity sensor when doing phone calls, but that has been MUCH better on the last build. In fact, it was working perfectly until today, only once the screen didn't re-appear on my last call of the day. And if you go on about:config in Edge and you set to use Canary engine (alpha), web sites have issue. If you use the other engine options (which are selected by default), you are fine.

All my issues I faced before, were solved after doing a force reboot 3 times in almost a row. Basically reboot, see if it work better, notice it works better, but still some issues, reboot again, look again, and reboot again... and then everything was tip top shape.

Hmm.. It is stuck at 28% on my desktop, and it is stuck at 0% on my phone...

Do you guys have issues?