Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

Here are my download options:

download.PNG

Which download do I choose?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

With my phone, since the last 2 builds, it takes several minutes for my phone to connect to my PC. Maybe you just need to wait.

Arg.. I noticed that the darn proximity sensor for turning off/on a call if it is next to your ear or not is broken again. It was working so well for me in the last build.:/

Oh well... At least Bluetooth works (now watch how next the build will break Bluetooth again, but the proximity sensor will now work)

The latest update of the Camera app under the Fast ring, introduces improvement to the HDR feature. It now takes 3 shots for better results. I would also assume the algorithm has been modified to reflect that change.

• Now you can take 3 HDR photos consecutively before saving shots.
  • Bug fixes for reliability and performance
  • User experience improvements

If you are on the Fast Ring with auto-update app enabled, it is probably already updated to it. The version is :  2016.1101.11.0

So I may have found a way to reset it without going to B2X (The company which Microsoft outsourced Windows Phone support to).

The problem is that my model number isn't listed in the Device Recovery Tool.

it shows all other models but not the model RM-1096. All other 640XL models are there.

What do I do? Go to B2X and pay for them to fix it OR try and use a firmware for other 640XLs?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So I may have found a way to reset it without going to B2X (The company which Microsoft outsourced Windows Phone support to).

The problem is that my model number isn't listed in the Device Recovery Tool.

it shows all other models but not the model RM-1096. All other 640XL models are there.

What do I do? Go to B2X and pay for them to fix it OR try and use a firmware for other 640XLs?

Very strange... I really don't know buddy. :/

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Very strange... I really don't know buddy. :/

I went to one of B2X's alleged places to fix it and it turned out not to be a B2X center :(.

Also, tried to flash the firmware on another PC........

e.PNG

RIP 640XL.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP 640XL.

Why? Doesn't it still work?

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP 640XL.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Very weird issue, I hope your phone did not brick, if I lived closer to you I say lets meet up and I would help you out if I could. :( 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Nope. And I'm yet to find somebody willing to repair it.

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Have you tried to flash the .ffu from lumiafirmware.com? =/

Yes and every time it screws up and doesn't work. I can give you the update.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes and every time it screws up and doesn't work. I can give you the update.

So now your phone is bricked? Or just stuck with the Windows 10 Mobile update?

And plugging the phone on your PC, wait 10 real minutes, and open Windows Device Recovery tool, doesn't work?

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That's pretty strange. Are you using the software indicated in lumiafirmware website or the official recovery tool?

Yes. I'm using the official recovery tool.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So now your phone is bricked?

Unless I can find a way to flash the firmware and os then it is bricked.

The firmware doesn't show up in the recovery tool under the "My Device wasn't recognized"

Or just stuck with the Windows 10 Mobile update?

I wish it was that simple.

And plugging the phone on your PC, wait 10 real minutes, and open Windows Device Recovery tool, doesn't work?

I'll try that later.

6 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Have you followed the tutorial provided by lumiafirmware.com? http://www.lumiafirmware.com/info

In that same page, they have a link for xda-developers on how to unbrick windows phones.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So now your phone is bricked? Or just stuck with the Windows 10 Mobile update?

So, I went to a repair store and they checked it out. The long and the short of it is this: The storage chip needs to be replaced for it to work. It physically won't work without the storage chip being replaced.

Replacing the Storage Chip would cost $950 HKD (roughly $120 USD) (don't ask me why it costs so fucking much!).

So I probably will buy a Lumia 650 for $1540 HKD + shipping (Might be able to find one locally for cheaper).

There is a new version of Windows phone recovery tool @AluminiumTech

I doubt that it will help anything for your phone, as I don't see anything related to that in the "What's new" notes, but it's worth a try.

Microsoft says that there will be no more builds of Windows 10 until next year.

They are not happy with the latest build, and don't want to leave us hanging with a bad build.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft says that there will be no more builds of Windows 10 until next year.

They are not happy with the latest build, and don't want to leave us hanging with a bad build.

Hmm to bad but I am glad they are thinking of the end user here. Good move.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Not sure if this is just me but I've experienced having roughly half of my apps not working lately. For example my Amazon kindle and about 4 of my games won't open past the load screen, very irritating. I have attempted to reinstall said apps to no avail. I am considering doing a full reset of the phone as it been awhile since I have done so ... Suggestions?

This last build though having fixed some issues, other issues have cropped up.

And I forgot one other thing, I noticed an over all feel of sluggishness about the OS with this build ... I am on the latest Fast Ring Build. 14977.100

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Strange. Every thing works fine for me. well... I have graphical glitches, I have my phone crash at times when picking up a call in my car (connected via Bluetooth)... but all in all, every app runs.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, SansVarnic said:

Not sure if this is just me but I've experienced having roughly half of my apps not working lately. For example my Amazon kindle and about 4 of my games won't open past the load screen, very irritating. I have attempted to reinstall said apps to no avail. I am considering doing a full reset of the phone as it been awhile since I have done so ... Suggestions?

This last build though having fixed some issues, other issues have cropped up.

And I forgot one other thing, I noticed an over all feel of sluggishness about the OS with this build ... I am on the latest Fast Ring Build. 14977.100

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:27 PM, GoodBytes said:

Strange. Every thing works fine for me. well... I have graphical glitches, I have my phone crash at times when picking up a call in my car (connected via Bluetooth)... but all in all, every app runs.

Update;

Did a full reset, brought it back up to speed on the latest build 14977.100 aaaand no change. This stinks. Not sure how I will chalk this all up to the feed back but I will figure it out. I am thinking I may do a WIndows recovery back to the last public release at least temporarily until MS releases the next Fast ring build, not sure really. It was my bad to use my daily phone as my test phone. :(:(

Nice thing though, I recently bought my wife a new L650 to replace her dying L550 and boy is it a nice phone for $120 USD. I may get me a second one for me as a back up incase like the one above. :| Irony is the feeling of the day. LOL.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Build 15007 has been released on mobile.

What's new?

• Edge Text scaling and zoom improvements on websites. You can now zoom 500% in a website, regardless of the zoom setting set by the website (which was causing problems as many website do a poor job at testing their stuff)
  • Scroll bar improvements when you use the mouse to navigate scroll-able content. It now shows the scroll bar when the mouse moves.
  • New Bluetooth APIs for devs
  • Bluetooth connectivity is no longer using the Windows 8 setting panel, and is now uses the same Windows 10 experience under the Settings panel as, well, Windows 10.
  • Sync your settings using Azure Active Directory (AAD) Identity
  • Cortana sign-in using Azure Active Directory (AAD) identity
  • App Rest feature is now here like on the desktop
  • Improvement on Cortana for controlling your music, including " Hey Cortana, What’s Playing?" support.
  • Adding music recognition support to Chinese (Simplified)
  • More recurrence options for Cortana Reminders. Now has Every Month and Every Year options
  • Web payments support in Edge, like on the desktop
  • Improved legibility for UWP apps in high contrast
  • Setting panel got updated

What's Changed/fixed

• Alarm will now start at a slightly higher volume
  • Fix issue that made some phones like the Lumia 950 / 950 XL amongst others take a very long time to be detected when connecting on the PC.
  • System related notification toasts issues  (e.g. Bluetooth, USB/Autoplay, etc.)  has been fixed
  • Cortana SMS issues solves when over Bluetooth
  • Fixed issue where when playing video recoded in portrait, the aspect ratio would not appear right.
  • Skype alert badges now works when receiving a new message

Known issues

• The Windows Hello greeting is missing from the lock screen. Showing the animation and user name is important for letting you know we have securely identified you. Of course, we also recognize the essential purpose of the Windows Hello feature is getting you to your Start screen without delay.  We’re working hard to make sign-in as quick as possible across all Windows Hello scenarios.
  • AAD Identity Settings Sync: You may not see your Favorites or Reading List roam down in Microsoft Edge if you try to immediately open these tabs after opening Microsoft Edge. You can open Microsoft Edge, wait 30 seconds, and then open favorites and Reading List to see content.
  • AAD Identity Settings Sync: Microsoft Edge does not sync Reading List from PC to phone unless there is a restart.
  • AAD Identity Settings Sync: Microsoft Edge is syncing passwords on phone but not showing them in “saved passwords” in Microsoft Edge settings.
  • When you receive a new email notification and tap on it to open the message, it doesn’t open the Mail app or message.
  • New option to pause updates contains text referencing PC-only Windows Defender.
  • Insiders with certain devices, such as the Lumia 635 and 636, may not be able to manually change the brightness. The brightness will still automatically adjust if it is set to do so, so please use that for the time being while we investigate.
  • The ninja cat emoji display in two characters on the keyboard instead of the expected one.
  • Adding a new card / paying with an existing card will not work in Microsoft Wallet.

Also Bug bash for PC and Mobile and coming soon.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15007-pc-mobile/#D4a5mPReDlvwDmGc.97

On 1/2/2017 at 11:01 AM, SansVarnic said:

Update;

Did a full reset, brought it back up to speed on the latest build 14977.100 aaaand no change. This stinks. Not sure how I will chalk this all up to the feed back but I will figure it out. I am thinking I may do a WIndows recovery back to the last public release at least temporarily until MS releases the next Fast ring build, not sure really. It was my bad to use my daily phone as my test phone. :(:(

Nice thing though, I recently bought my wife a new L650 to replace her dying L550 and boy is it a nice phone for $120 USD. I may get me a second one for me as a back up incase like the one above. :| Irony is the feeling of the day. LOL.

Another update;

I did a device recovery back to the 1511 release. Updated to the current preview release and everything is hunky dory now :):D 

I think that somewhere along the way I had corrupted files in my phone so doing a full recovery solved that issue.

I am happy now.

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Build 15007 has been released on mobile.

<snip>

Been waiting patiently for this. Yay :D  Installed today.  Cant wait to explore ...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New Build! Build 15014

What's fixed:

• Due to decreased usage, Apps Corner is no longer available in Windows 10 Mobile starting with Builds 15007 and above.
  • We have fixed the issue causing some devices on Build 15007 to frequently reboot.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Windows Hello greeting being missing from the lock screen.
  • We’ve improved speed of displaying HTTP images on live tiles (for example, the images used on the MSN News app live tile).
  • We fixed an issue where the phone’s display wouldn’t turn off in close proximity to your face when in a call and using Continuum.
  • Stylized buttons in notifications are now aligned to the right – consistent with other system buttons in dialogs.
  • We fixed an issue that might cause an Insider’s custom typing dictionary to be unexpectedly deleted.
  • We fixed an issue on the new Bluetooth & other devices Settings page where Miracast devices would always show as connected, even if they had been disconnected.

Known issues:

• AAD Identity Settings Sync: Microsoft Edge does not sync Reading List from PC to phone unless there is a restart.
  • AAD Identity Settings Sync: Microsoft Edge is syncing passwords on phone but not showing them in “saved passwords” in Microsoft Edge settings.
  • When you receive a new email notification and tap on it to open the message, it doesn’t open the Mail app or message.
  • New option to pause updates contains text referencing PC-only Windows Defender.
  • Insiders with certain devices, such as the Lumia 635 and 636, may not be able to manually change the brightness. The brightness will still automatically adjust if it is set to do so, so please use that for the time being while we investigate.
  • The ninja cat emoji display in two characters on the keyboard instead of the expected one.
  • Adding a new card / paying with an existing card will not work in Microsoft Wallet.
  • The Quiet Hours quick action button in the Action Center doesn’t work.
  • Microsoft Edge might sometimes unexpectedly not rotate into landscape mode. If this happens, try quickly locking and unlocking your phone.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15014-for-pc-and-mobile-hello-windows-insiders-today-we-are-excited-to-be-releasing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15014-for-pc-and-mobile/#4ameXvh3bVjtvh8Y.97

WARNING! This mobile built makes audio output over Bluetooth specifically highly compressed (way bellow phone line quality), and any CPU activity will degrade even further, creating shuttering. Using phone speakers or headphones has no problem. I am on the Lumia 950 XL if anyone wonders. A phone reboot does not solve this problem. Please post in feedback hub if you have this issue as well.