Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

Verizon rolls out Windows 10 Mobile for Lumia Icon users!

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-begins-rolling-out-windows-10-mobile-lumia-icon

Lumia Icon will have to download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app to get it.

You can get the app here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/apps/upgrade-advisor/9nblggh0f5g4?tduid=(b1f8b77a64f9f8c6c0d648372f77814f)(235204)(2804598)()()

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:21 PM, GoodBytes said:

All is fine on my phone. I have yet to use Bluetooth with Windows Maps for turn by turn navigation to know if they broke that again, but so far all is good with this latest build, with my Lumia 950 XL.

I did notice that the Settings app crashes when leaving (hitting back button), the privacy section after enabling or disabling an app a certain permission. Sending messages with my PC still doesn't work.

With the older chips it has been kinda unstable.  With the 600 series snapdragons the cellular radio isn't cooperative with the OS.  Especially when switching from roaming to home, wifi to cellular data, and so on.

It is device dependent.  My Lumia 1520 has had quite a few little quirks.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

3 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

With the older chips it has been kinda unstable.  With the 600 series snapdragons the cellular radio isn't cooperative with the OS.  Especially when switching from roaming to home, wifi to cellular data, and so on.

It is device dependent.  My Lumia 1520 has had quite a few little quirks.

I am not sure I follow.

It working fine now for a while. I still have to check the box so that voices are passed through as phone calls with my car (despite a brand new one), but it works.

I am enjoying Build 14371. 

Really enjoying the updates to the core apps as well.

• Maps : UI is outstanding, smooth, looks nice and professionally rendered.
  • Phone: Great - even though T-Mobile wont support Windows 10 mobile Visual Voicemail on the 950, 950Xl, and 650 Microsoft has made a work around. :) 
  • Store: getting there but stil has a few bugs, like the search can crash the app occasionally (at least for me).
  • Email: is still smooth and functional with any email account I have. I have both .com and .us accounts.
  • Calendar: syncs well but not much has changed that I have seen since its start. I like it.
  • Cortana: Just Plain Awesome. She is fast, understands most of what I say, gets it right pretty much almost every time.
  • Windows Hello: I like it, sometimes it doesn't recognize me but it is getting better. Sometimes it is real fast, sometimes it is a bit slow.
  • Edge: What can I say? it has become so much more since what it was last year. The only thing missing at this point is ad-block... I know, I know. :(
  • SMS: Its SMS, other than minor changes to the UI since WP7 and additions to the emoji's (sure there are other things that I missed) it works well and smoothly, with Cortana integrated I voice to text messages pretty easily. (I just need to work on my speech better)
  • Wallet 2.0: Oh boy, this is what we have been waiting for since WP7.  OK its not perfect, but its leaps ahead of what it has been, even the WP8.1 version.
  • The Setting UI is great and smooth. I am rocking this. Dark theme everywhere.
  • Camera: Its OK. Needs some more work. Need to bring back the Nokia Camera, it was better. MS needs to bring back Panoramic support again...sheesh. I am missing out on some great shots right now because of this. And there is no decent Panoramic apps to fill the gap (at least none I see as decent). I do still have the Photosynth app installed but for some reason it is not taking advantage of the high quality camera so shots are of poor quality. :( 
  • Groove: Well I don't use it as I have Pandora to stream with. I like Pandora.
  • I want the Radio App back...it was simple, plain and very useful. Instead I have found and use Radio FM Phone app. It has ads. . . . but it has the same UI and is ok.
  • Voice recorder: last build it was ok, I could use it to record phone calls so I could play them back if need be (if it was an important call) to refer back for information. For some reason with build 14371 the app and the Phone app don't talk... not sure but I plan on testing after the next build released to see if it is fixed, if not I will submit a feedback on the issue.

That is it for now.

Will update to Build 14372 Saturday.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I am not sure I follow.

It working fine now for a while. I still have to check the box so that voices are passed through as phone calls with my car (despite a brand new one), but it works.

In the older snapdragon chips, the "fast ring" of Windows Mobile (for about the past 6 months) builds, cant seem to switch from "home" to "roaming" and back very easily.  The fixes are going into airplane mode for about 30 seconds OR restarting the device.  My Lumia 1520 did this, along with a bunch of other quirky things (like the keyboard element would randomly freeze and restart) but I think the keyboard thing was because I have upgraded my OS inside the fast ring for about the past year without doing a clean install.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

15 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am enjoying Build 14371. 

Really enjoying the updates to the core apps as well.

• Maps : UI is outstanding, smooth, looks nice and professionally rendered.
  • Phone: Great - even though T-Mobile wont support Windows 10 mobile Visual Voicemail on the 950, 950Xl, and 650 Microsoft has made a work around. :) 
  • Store: getting there but stil has a few bugs, like the search can crash the app occasionally (at least for me).
  • Email: is still smooth and functional with any email account I have. I have both .com and .us accounts.
  • Calendar: syncs well but not much has changed that I have seen since its start. I like it.
  • Cortana: Just Plain Awesome. She is fast, understands most of what I say, gets it right pretty much almost every time.
  • Windows Hello: I like it, sometimes it doesn't recognize me but it is getting better. Sometimes it is real fast, sometimes it is a bit slow.
  • Edge: What can I say? it has become so much more since what it was last year. The only thing missing at this point is ad-block... I know, I know. :(
  • SMS: Its SMS, other than minor changes to the UI since WP7 and additions to the emoji's (sure there are other things that I missed) it works well and smoothly, with Cortana integrated I voice to text messages pretty easily. (I just need to work on my speech better)
  • Wallet 2.0: Oh boy, this is what we have been waiting for since WP7.  OK its not perfect, but its leaps ahead of what it has been, even the WP8.1 version.
  • The Setting UI is great and smooth. I am rocking this. Dark theme everywhere.
  • Camera: Its OK. Needs some more work. Need to bring back the Nokia Camera, it was better. MS needs to bring back Panoramic support again...sheesh. I am missing out on some great shots right now because of this. And there is no decent Panoramic apps to fill the gap (at least none I see as decent). I do still have the Photosynth app installed but for some reason it is not taking advantage of the high quality camera so shots are of poor quality. :( 
  • Groove: Well I don't use it as I have Pandora to stream with. I like Pandora.
  • I want the Radio App back...it was simple, plain and very useful. Instead I have found and use Radio FM Phone app. It has ads. . . . but it has the same UI and is ok.
  • Voice recorder: last build it was ok, I could use it to record phone calls so I could play them back if need be (if it was an important call) to refer back for information. For some reason with build 14371 the app and the Phone app don't talk... not sure but I plan on testing after the next build released to see if it is fixed, if not I will submit a feedback on the issue.

That is it for now.

Will update to Build 14372 Saturday.

Store is buggy on my side. Even if you search for an app, and search again for another app, it freezes, and needs to restart. And sometimes I continuously see the loading animation if I go under Download & Update. It works though, if I tap on "Check for Updates", but the loading animation just remains there. The Store needs work. Even on my desktop it is iffy.

Yes, Edge has come a long way. Wish it has extensions. It looked like it was getting it with the option under "about:config" page, but I guess Microsoft wanted to focus on fixing bugs and performance, over new features, let alone deal with extensions for the desktop. So hopefully, it will comes under Redstone 2 development soon.

Camera is good on my side. Do you know that if you tap and hold on the right side camera button (assuming you are holding your phone in landscape with the usb plug on your right), and swipe inwards on the screen and let go, you have a bunch of options that shows.

Groove is AWESOME now. You even have mods, and activity curated playlists like Spotify.

Yea would like the Radio app, I wanted to work on one, no ads, open source, but I see that the whole system to get station names is behind hidden APIs, and I don't see a way to get the radio signal raw, to process it.

Issue I noticed with 14371 (so the previous build), is that phone calls voice would not pass to my car. So I could not hear who was calling, but they could hear me just fine. I don't know if it was fixed in this build.

13 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

In the older snapdragon chips, the "fast ring" of Windows Mobile (for about the past 6 months) builds, cant seem to switch from "home" to "roaming" and back very easily.  The fixes are going into airplane mode for about 30 seconds OR restarting the device.  My Lumia 1520 did this, along with a bunch of other quirky things (like the keyboard element would randomly freeze and restart) but I think the keyboard thing was because I have upgraded my OS inside the fast ring for about the past year without doing a clean install.

Ah ok... :/

I guess it needs a firmware upgrade.

45 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah ok... :/

I guess it needs a firmware upgrade.

That's just it, with it still having the "Nokia" branding Microsoft isn't so friendly to doing firmware upgrades.  As a matter of fact, I haven't got a SINGLE firmware upgrade since the Nokia brand was disbanded.

Spoiler

Yeah I noticed that as well with my Lumia 925. It's good that MS is focusing on getting the OS 'perfected' but they to step back every so often and get those firmware updates out.

Then again MS sold off the Nokia branding so who knows if anything will happen on that...:| I doubt the new owners will care.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well the thing is that we don't know how it works.

Is it the manufacture doing the drivers, and now discontinued support? Is it Microsoft making the drivers but lost the people working on it, and now need to figure it all out again? Or is it simply that Microsoft didn't get to it yet, or are working it, and it isn't as simple as we think it is, as they have to test, certify, and pass though governmental regulations for approval for each country or region? Or Microsoft is simply not focused on it.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well the thing is that we don't know how it works.

Is it the manufacture doing the drivers, and now discontinued support? Is it Microsoft making the drivers but lost the people working on it, and now need to figure it all out again? Or is it simply that Microsoft didn't get to it yet, or are working it, and it isn't as simple as we think it is, as they have to test, certify, and pass though governmental regulations for approval for each country or region? Or Microsoft is simply not focused on it.

I haven't gotten a firmware update in over like 6-10 months.

And mine is a "Microsoft" branded device.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I haven't gotten a firmware update in over like 6-10 months.

And mine is a "Microsoft" branded device.

Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool. You should be able to check for any firmware upgrade and upgrade to it (although, I think ti will wipe your device and re-install the official released Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone 8 (which ever came with), and need to re-upgrade)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool. You should be able to check for any firmware upgrade and upgrade to it (although, I think ti will wipe your device and re-install the official released Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone 8 (which ever came with), and need to re-upgrade)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

It's the same firmware. I've had the same for a long time despite doing this a few times.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's the same firmware. I've had the same for a long time despite doing this a few times.

So then you have the latest and there is none. I mean its been a serious while since the 950/950 XL got any of them.

Build 14372 thoughts;

So far not much different than build 14371 but I have noticed that there is an improvement on overall stability, though I cannot describe it well enough, it is noticeable.

Core apps were updated as well with this build and again it feels more like stability improvements there.

:)

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So then you have the latest and there is none. I mean its been a serious while since the 950/950 XL got any of them.

I have not received firmware updates either but I got my phone back in January.

Not really sure but I must say Nokia did not push out many firmware updates either if I remember correctly. Mostly the firmware updates coincided with my carrier's updates [T-Mobile] especially when the carrier made certain adjustments that the firmware had to be updated in order to function correctly with the network, iirc.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

LOL. Microsoft has started to Advertise properly! :)

@GoodBytes But unfortunately it is in German :(.

microad.JPG

New Windows 10 Mobile Build!

Build 14376

• We’re rolling out an Store update (11606.1001.25) that improves performance and reliability and includes fixes for accessibility as well.
  • The Gadgets app has been updated to fix issues using it with a Microsoft Display Dock.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in tiles pinned to Start from within an app being blank after a restore. We also fixed an issue that could result in multiple Live tiles no longer updating until the phone had been rebooted.
  • We fixed an issue making it difficult to download certain offline maps via Settings > System > Offline maps, as the list would jump back to the top when you reached close to the bottom.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Camera app intermittently freezing for a second when used in certain apps.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in links no longer working in Microsoft Edge after exiting one-handed mode while a webpage is loading. We also fixed an issue where the enter key would act as if it had been pressed twice on some websites, resulting in two new lines being entered.
  • We have improved the reliability of going between camera roll and Camera app.
  • We fixed an issue where estimated time remaining for battery life under Settings > System > Battery could be clipped. We also improved performance of enumerating the list of apps in under Settings > System > Storage.
  • We fixed an issue where the link in Cortana to download a speech language would open the Settings app homepage instead of going directly to Settings > Time and language > Language.
  • We fixed an issue where the checkmarks in checkboxes in high contrast mode didn’t use the correct contrast ratio making them difficult to see.
  •  

IMPORTANT

Very sucky news! Microsoft will remove the Message anywhere feature for Windows 10 Mobile device. It will not make the anniversary update!

Instead, all the work will be dropped, in exchange for SMS via Skype.... Yes... Skype...

It seems to frustrate many people for the massive lack of any logic, like it did before when Skype was integrated with the messaging app.

Android users aren't affected by this, only Windows 10 Mobile.

We have been testing with Windows Insiders a preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature that allows you to receive and send text messages from your Windows 10 phone directly to and from your Windows 10 PC. The experience was well-received by Insiders however we believe we can deliver an even better experience through the Skype app. Because of this, we decided not to release this feature as part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this summer. Starting with Build 14376 and going forward, Insiders will no longer have the ability to reply to text messages from their phone via the Messaging app on their PCs. The ability to reply to text messages on your PC using Cortana is unaffected. Going forward, we will be working with the Skype Team on delivering a great “messaging everywhere” experience on your Windows 10 devices through the Skype app. We will share more details about this experience in the months ahead.

Of course! So a nice fuck you to everyone. Thanks!

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/28/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14376-for-pc-and-mobile/

@GoodBytes It's bigger! It's badder! Ladies and Gentlemen! The new Spotify APP!!!!!!

34 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

@GoodBytes It's bigger! It's badder! Ladies and Gentlemen! The new Spotify APP!!!!!!

I am not complaining, but said that will stop supporting Windows Phone, and no plans for Windows 10 Mobile.

I guess they had a change of heart, and updated their Windows Phone 8.

Valve officially released a Steam Windows Phone 8 app as well. I think it was done long before, but cancelled its released back then, and now decided to release it, after relationship with Microsoft got better between the 2 companies. I mean why would it be Windows Phone 8 app, when it can be a Universal App. But hey, I am not complaining.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I am not complaining, but said that will stop supporting Windows Phone, and no plans for Windows 10 Mobile.

I guess they had a change of heart, and updated their Windows Phone 8.

Valve officially released a Steam Windows Phone 8 app as well. I think it was done long before, but cancelled its released back then, and now decided to release it, after relationship with Microsoft got better between the 2 companies. I mean why would it be Windows Phone 8 app, when it can be a Universal App. But hey, I am not complaining.

they had a misunderstanding with people. The issue was they don't support Windows Phone 8 now. They support 8.1 and newer.

Also could you post a link to the Steam app?

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

OMFG. Really Valve? This needs to be installed on your phone's "Internal HDD"? This is such a bad joke.

wp_ss_20160629_0009.png

Edited by GoodBytes
Reduced image size

34 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

OMFG. Really Valve? This needs to be installed on your phone's "Internal HDD"? This is such a bad joke.

I don't have that warning, but then again my Store looks completely different, as I am on the latest insider build