After 23 years, is sadly time to say goodbye....

Arct1c0n

For 23 years since my first computer, I've always had a optical drive. My first computer was spring of 1993 and later that summer when CD drives got a big "upgrade" to 2x reading speeds, my parents spent $300 on one. 

ihGcV00.jpg

But the sad truth is my beloved DVD media usage dying away.As much as i've continued to hold onto being a "Veteran" of the golden days of optical media and getting value for my money on getting a real and "physical" , the sad truth is damn companies like EA are doing away with physical media, even for retail launchs. A damn empty DVD case with an Origin key.  So sad.....

glwOCfv.jpg?1

But I continue to buy physical DVD's whenever possible as I still wanted the option to install new games as well as my large collection of CD/DVD golden era games. Thus I decided a nice external USB DVD drive would be the best of both worlds. To use up my now empty 5.25'' drive bays, I decided to go ahead and upgrade my fan controller

AwVGk3m.jpg?1

And thus, this is the last case/build I will ever own to have a 5.25'' optical drive

tODpxRa.jpg?1

It feels and looks so weird with no real optical drive anymore. The new USB DVD drive works well and the slot loading is pretty slick, but it will spend most of its days in the random parts drawer until it is called upon...

zqQlNM1.jpg?1

Rf2LFrh.jpg?1

not gonna lie, thought this was gonna be a suicide note

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

Woah that's a bit serious.

It still is a suicide note for his DVD drives, I guess. Darkness, darkness everywhere. Even in the midst of a wonderful race known as the PC Masterrace.

I will always use my dvd drive, my kids rely on it for there movies in bed :P

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Damn son. I"m bummed out but shit, not that bad

Personally, I like the look of an optical drive in my build, so I think mine will stay even if I don't necessarily have a use for it. For me, it adds to the look of the PC. Maybe it's because I don't like change?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I know the feeling.  I made the decision last year to stop putting DVD drives in pc builds.. I didn't go buy an external though.. I just have no use for them at all.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Personally, I like the look of an optical drive in my build, so I think mine will stay even if I don't necessarily have a use for it. For me, it adds to the look of the PC. Maybe it's because I don't like change?

I felt that way also but...my next case I like may very well have no 5.25'' bays at all

1 minute ago, Arct1c0n said:

I felt that way also but...my next case I like may very well have no 5.25'' bays at all

My case has no 5.25" bay, but if it did I would have a an optical drive in there. I Really hate the external ones and I wouldn't use it either way, but it seems sort of like a part of my build that should be there. I might even mod one in.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

I cri... evy tim.

What case is that? Its nice!

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

still have an optical drive in my build, it really comes in handy for older software/ windows installations ( my dad insists on using the tons of usb 2.0 drives he gets from work )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I never got the reason why companies would waste both their money and plastic if they didn't offer DVD's in the first place. 

THERE IS A REASON WHY optical media still exists, Blu-Ray's, DVD's, CD's etc. Sure all of that can be made digital but what happens when a digital copy becomes corrupt ? Or plain old doesn't work anymore due to bit rot? 

I like optical media because it's for people who don't have good wifi or simply they can't get that 5ghz's router. 

I mean whats the point of having Physical copies for consoles but none for PC owners ? It doesn't make any sense what so ever. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

[removed]

Though I believe optical media is more susceptible to things like bacteria than a hard drive since hard drives are sealed, and discs are not.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

12 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

I will always use my dvd drive, my kids rely on it for there movies in bed :P

man you need to get them on the Thomas the tank engine and pingu VHS thats the best two TV shoes ever better than breaking bad, lost, doctor who 

I lurk a lot

I haven't had one in my computers since the LGA 775 days.

I have a USB one laying around somewhere but haven't used it for probably 3+ years.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

i still have a dvd drive in my main PC just because im currently in the process of building up a plex libary from all the dvds my family own as the dont wanna buy netflix (yeah i know there only sd quailty but you can barley notice on an ipad mini) 

I lurk a lot

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Though I believe optical media is more susceptible to things like bacteria 

WTf? I've NEVER heard of that in all my life

8 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

I mean whats the point of having Physical copies for consoles but none for PC owners ? It doesn't make any sense what so ever. 

Blame steam and ORIGIN for this...

2 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

WTf? I've NEVER heard of that in all my life

Excessive humidity. High moisture content that can seep into disc cracks or scratches and foster the growth of bacteria or mold that can affect the readability of the disc by a drive's laser.

http://www.cd-info.com/archiving/degradation/

Take it how you will.

21 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Amen. I've never liked the look of PC builds without an optical drive, but that's just me.

to OP: i honestly thought that this was gonna be like you're passing away soon lol

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 minutes ago, peej said:

man you need to get them on the Thomas the tank engine and pingu VHS thats the best two TV shoes ever better than breaking bad, lost, doctor who 

I loved Thomas when I was a kid, then they went a changed the title music and screwed it all up :P 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000