New or Used Car? your thoughts

threadysparrow

My man Linus said he buys used. I like used cars, but I have a new car. I only have a new car because the police department in my town bought too many 2012 Chevy Impalas and they had to sell one so I got a new Chevy Impala for $19,000 and I got it for $450 a month with a nice warranty and support from Chevy. The used ones were going for about $17,000 at the dealership too. I can't afford either so my grandmother's inheritance paid for it but she always wanted to buy me a car when she was alive so it's ok. She is also paying for my network engineering degree from beyond. Again, I only used my grandmother's money in a way that she approved of. Quit giving me the third degree about it! Why do you care so much?!

Used or new? GO!

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

For some reason I have always bought new. Buying used just never feelt right to me. I don't currently have a car, but my motorcycle is bought completly new.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Depends on the car. If it's an SLS, new. If it's a nice car, used is fine. My sister has a used Audi Q5, and she loves it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

New for two reasons, My father does not like used cars AT ALL, and I don't like the idea that someone else had the car before me. Also Dat new car smell.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I only like basic amounts of tech in cars eg. power windows. Most of the other crap they deem as 'safety features' like having to have the clutch in and in 1st gear to start the car.

Of course you have to be careful when buying a 2nd hand car, because you might not know what may be wrong with it, and then next minute you have to spend $1000 fixing it up.

But still, I prefer used cards.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Also depends on where you live. In the US cars are cheap as fuck ...

(you pay less for a new car in the US, then you have to pay in some european countries for a few year old car)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Buying new is a waste of money IMO. Pay less for a 1-2 year old card with little milage and FSH. Win!

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

There is always that 'new car' feeling, and the knowledge that there were no previous owners that could have possibly abused the car..

Of course, if you're just looking for the best deal, used is the only way to go.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

There's always pros and cons to buying new vs used.  Here in the US Subaru's don't drop in value.  Actually often times the first year they go up in reference to the following year.  I see 2004 Subaru WRX's with 150k miles needed alot of work SELLING for 8-10 grand.  It's really weird.  But if your an automotive person who can do all the work yourself and you can buy the used car right in the right condition it's not a bad thing.  My brother who owns 3 cars (2002 Corvette Z06, 2012 Malibu and a 2004 Buick Sentry), just bought the buick for 3200 dollars.  It had 92,000 miles on it, had been garage kept for 3 years with only 10k on it, then it spent the next 5-6 years on the highway garage kept.  It needed brakes, a battery and cleaned very badly.  My brother is a professional detailer and is also a service consultant for Chevy.  My dads a tech for GM, so they spent a few days getting it fixed up and KBB on it is like 7 grand now.  But the car needs NOTHING and the underbody is cherry.  So like if you do it right used is a super good option.

EDIT: Are we talking new vs 1-2 years old, or new vs 10-15 years old?

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I only like basic amounts of tech in cars eg. power windows. Most of the other crap they deem as 'safety features' like having to have the clutch in and in 1st gear to start the car.

Of course you have to be careful when buying a 2nd hand car, because you might not know what may be wrong with it, and then next minute you have to spend $1000 fixing it up.

But still, I prefer used cards.

I do however like bluetooth for my phone because girls call mer all the time because I am so awesome, and I need a hands free option

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I hope somebody buys his cars new so I can buy them second hand.

I prefer second hand cars because they are cheaper and I can get better car with less money. I tend to buy the really high end stuff, which costs like crazy when new. I'm still a student so I have to buy older cars but I still choose something like a 7-series BMW. Great equipment, lots of power, silent and comfortable. If I were to buy a new car, I couldn't afford anything special and I would have to settle something low power and mediocre amount of gadgets. Buying second hand gives me more options. I can go E60 M5 for less than new BMW 520i. Or I can choose Audi A8 or Mercedes Benz S-class for less than their new base models. I get a lot more power, safety, silence, gadgets and comfort. Just the way I like it.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I actually only know 1 person that has bought a new car. New Cars Are not a big thing in Finland. The average age of Cars is 12 years here

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Used. Mainly because the cars I'm interested in are all out of production or are going to be by the time I can afford them. Older generations of cars have always appealed to me (performance- and styling-wise).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Always buy used or the old model. I bought my 2011 Camaro SS for $40k and what happens the next year? A 2011 Camaro SS with 700 miles is only $23k

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I do however like bluetooth for my phone because girls call mer all the time because I am so awesome, and I need a hands free option

haha that's why people mod their old cars with awesome audio and a good headunit that have bluetooth etc

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

If you get good enough at DIY auto repair, you can flip older cars on classifieds like Craigslist. Used to do it, but now I don't have enough time. Used cars all the way, far more value for your dollar.

I don't have enough money to buy new cars ^^

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I've had 4 used cars and recently just bought a brand new car. To me it depends how long are you planing on having it? How far do you drive? There are many things to things to think about. I drive 80km per day minimum so 29000km per year I wish to keep it for at least 5 years 146000km. In my experience cars become a lot less reliable after 100000km. So my conclusion is there is no right or wrong choice

new - I save up for what ever it is I want. skipping meals never killed anyone.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/