AMD Zeppelin Processor with 32 x86 Zen Cores Spotted in Linux Changelog

Mr_Troll

AMD Zeppelin Processor with 32 x86 Zen Cores Spotted in Linux Changelog – EHP Variant Will Have Vega 10 Graphics with HBM2

A Zeppelin is a type of a rigid body airship which is filled with a lighter-than-air gas. They were very popular in the early 1900s and a popular mode of transport. Unfortunately, the use of cheaply available hydrogen as the primary gas caused several accidents (most notably Hindenburg) over the course of the next few decades which caused them to be abandoned. Modern variants of the Zeppelin use Helium as the primary gas, which is just as light but not combustible.

Coming back to the actual topic at hand, the report in question quotes several lines of code published in a recent update bt AMD which can be found over at LKML .com:

AMD Zeppelin (Family 17h, Model 00h) introduces an instructions retired performance counter which indicated by CPUID.8000_0008H:EBX[1]. And dedicated Instructions Retired register (MSR 0xC000_000E9) increments on once for every instruction retired.

Signed-off-by: Huang Rui <ray.huang@amd.com>

arch/x86/include/asm/cpufeature.h   | 1 +
arch/x86/include/asm/msr-index.h     | 3 +++
arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_msr.c | 30 +++++++++++++++++++———–
3 files changed, 23 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

+ core_complex_id = (apicid & ((1 << c->x86_coreid_bits) – 1)) >> 3;
+ per_cpu(cpu_llc_id, cpu) = (socket_id << 3) | core_complex_id;

The code is conveniently signed by an AMD engineer and confirms the name of the processor. An AMD research paper in the past has also referred to a very similar (if not the same) chip as an EHP or Exascale Heterogeneous Processor along with a diagram of the same. Which is basically an APU with the Zeppelin module included. The code present in this update also points to the expected 4 Zen core clusters and a total of 32 maximum CPUs which will be divided into core complexes consisting of 4 Zen cores each (8 logical cores thanks to SMT). Given below is a recap of what leaks have pointed out so far:

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/AMD-Zeppelin-EHP-Processor.jpg

AMD is currently working on a Multi Chip Module that is code named Zeppelin. It is thought to contain 32 Zen cores tied together using AMD’s very own Coherent Fabric. The homegrown interconnect will support data rates of upto 100GB/s which is alot faster than what the PCIe interface sustains (around 15GB/s). Not only that but latency has been reduced from 500ns to an unknown but allegedly smaller number. It remains to be seen whether Zeppelin refers only to the Zen processors cluster or the MCM as a whole. The original leak by Fudzilla showed Vega 10 (previously Greenland) graphics connected by Coherent Data Fabric. High Bandwidth Memory (probably on a 2.5D interposer) was also included and clocked at 500 GB/s.

The Zeppelin and Vega 10 based MCM will feature 4 GMIs or Global Memory Interconnects (which constitute the Coherent Data Fabric I suppose) allowing the CPU to converse with the GPU at 100GB/s. The MCM itself will talk to the RAM at 100 GB/s as well – allowing for a very HSA friendly environment and minimum bottleneck throughout the whole process. Each Zen core will be capable of running two threads (thanks to the company’s shift to Simultaneous Multi-Threading). The processor is thought to have 4 DDR4 channels with a capacity of 256GB per channel.

What we do know for sure (thanks to a published research paper by AMD) is that the Zeppelin EHP variant will utilize the next generation Vega 10 graphics, although the exact core count remains unknown. The diagram published by AMD points towards the MCM divided into two compute and one graphic portions, which are manufactured separately and put together on the interposer later on in assembly (possibly at UMC’s Fab 12 foundry in Singapore, which is already used to assemble Fiji dies). So basically, AMD is fabricating the compute side of the Scale Heterogeneous Processor (EHP) in dies with 16 Zen cores each (4 core complexes), for a total of 2 computing and 1 graphics die assembled on the interposer (ignoring the HBM.

32 cores and hbm2 graphics? Looks like a powerhouse to me.

Source:https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/1/6/875

http://dresdenboy.blogspot.de/2016/02/amd-zeppelin-cpu-codename-confirmed-by.html

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

I'd be incredibly surprised if this was not server or high end workstation hardware. Jumping from 8 to 32 cores would not help really any general user or gamer in practice.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

The disaster of Hindenburg was not caused by the hydrogen gas, rather it fueled the incident. 

Anyways, that is a pretty cool name for a CPU. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

22 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

AMD Zeppelin Processor with 32 x86 Zen Cores Spotted in Linux Changelog – EHP Variant Will Have Vega 10 Graphics with HBM2

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/AMD-Zeppelin-EHP-Processor.jpg

32 cores and hbm2 graphics? Looks like a powerhouse to me.

Source:https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/1/6/875

http://dresdenboy.blogspot.de/2016/02/amd-zeppelin-cpu-codename-confirmed-by.html

The 32-core chip will not have graphics attached. The last diagram we saw with a 2048-SP iGPU and HBM2 attached only had 16 cores. You'd be looking at 850mm sq. dies or larger to have 32 cores fit with the rest of it, and that's before the interposer too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It would be nice if Zen featured HSA with 8 cores and iGPU then.

But then again we (I) dont even know how zen works...

This sounds like a total beast. But, as we all know, should be taken with a grain of salt, as these are only paper specs. Can't wait to see what AMD has planned for their cpu division.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

Four physical chips in one package? INB4 it gets the 'bigfoot' nickname.

If the package is as big as it sounds, I want to see aftermarket coolers with 36 heatpipes!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

50 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Four physical chips in one package? INB4 it gets the 'bigfoot' nickname.

If the package is as big as it sounds, I want to see aftermarket coolers with 36 heatpipes!

So 8 cores per package? Why that terrible density? That's truly awful density.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Thats neat, but I doubt we'll see this in anything other than linus's glorified nas. :P:D

That's even if before Intel bribes him with two more of those 20 core Xeons.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The 32-core chip will not have graphics attached. The last diagram we saw with a 2048-SP iGPU and HBM2 attached only had 16 cores. You'd be looking at 850mm sq. dies or larger to have 32 cores fit with the rest of it, and that's before the interposer too.

Wasnt it at some point confirmed, or rumored that AMD would on the server side move towards mass logical cores, similar to IBM Power8/Power9 does, for each physical core?
if so, 32 "cores" could be anywhere between 4-8physical cores. In which you need a helluva lot less space.Also if memory serves me right, GCN has "main core clusters", in which the SPs and ACEs sit in a specific configuration.Given that they are talking about Heterogenous systems architecture, one can assume that they mean 32 compute units, 4 CPU are confirmed through the documents "leaked". The rest is being wrongly read as cores.Any software supporting OpenGL2.1 or later will be able to recognize AMDs HSA 1.0 cores as actual cores. It is then up to the software designer to choose to capitalize on this and enable ACEs to be used for general compute, or if to treat the CPU and GPU cores separatly.could simply be software reading this zeppelin thing wrong.

IPC is much more important than amount of cores.

Even if you have 128 cores, it won't help shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 hours ago, CTR640 said:

lol, if you think IPC is THAT important, you got a lot to learn then.

Looks quite interesting on paper and seems to be a beast!
Though what I'm mainly interested is on consumer side, specially about 8-core they'll have. For my future build I require more cores and I also hope for that serious IPC increase to. If both of that can be delivered together, with a solid price - insta-buy.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Better go and inform every single server maintainer that they should be using 5960x's and not Xeons then. I mean, you apparently ARE an expert in this subject.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

29 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Better go and inform every single server maintainer that they should be using 5960x's and not Xeons then. I mean, you apparently ARE an expert in this subject.

facepalm*

There is no IPC difference between the two in the same generation.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

lol, if you think IPC is THAT important, you got a lot to learn then.

Without IPC you don't get performance scaling so...

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

"Oh noes, I can't decide between these $10000 Processors, what will I do?"

#firstworldproblems

More like #justlinusproblems

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

facepalm*

There is no IPC difference between the two in the same generation.

That was about core count amounting to "won't help shit".

Facepalm yourself somewhere else.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling