Windows 7 vs 8 (which one should I buy?)

Deleon.David

The title says it all.

Which one would you say is the best?

I can't decide.

8 is the best even though you have to get used to it

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I would go with Windows 8 because it's going to be supported for a longer amount of time than 7. Although it is a lot more unstable than Windows 7 it is also a much lighter OS, meaning more FPS while gaming, however this is due to the real time clock running a little bit faster than others OS'.

i chose 7 as my preference 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

A lot of people hate windows 8 but I honestly think it's not that bad. Plus, it's new so it has more support.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Windows 8 because even if you don't like the Modern UI you can always get StartIsBack and it will feel like a Windows 7. From my personal experience Windows 8 feels snappier and it will be more future proof than Windows 7 since it's newer.

I would get 8 then get one of the programs volbet recommended. 8 isn't is as large as 7 and uses less space.

8, since it's arguably better and will have support further into the future than 7. Plus 8.1 is coming out soon and it only makes things better!! yes, you may have some learning to do, but you have to do that with many pieces of software anyways, so why not learn how to take advantage of the main software, your OS, to make your experience that much better?

Please use the search... there several people that asked this question before you.

In all cases: Windows 8 won.

I think we had this very poll a couple of weeks ago so I will suggest you use the search button. You will find a very similar topic with all the opinions and arguments you need.  ;) Also - spoiler alert - Windows 8 won that poll eventually.

Windows 8 is better if you don't mind the layout.

Up to personal preference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

How the expletive did Windows 8 win this poll?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

why won't windows 8 work with older games?

Define what old games you mean:

- 16-bit program support has been dropped in 64-bit version of Windows.

- Legacy API's from Windows 9x days are being dropped.

- Many games devs don't read Microsoft documentation, or not used to, as game is always done fast, and in rush, to meet deadlines, where for many gaming companies, overtime is not paid, so they use what they know, which is wrong. So as it doesn't follow Microsoft documentation properly, Microsoft has no way to ensure that some games or programs will work on future version of Windows.

If you followed carefully Microsoft documentation, a Windows 3.1 program will work under Windows 8 32-bit. They are youtube videos on this, where people installed some really version of Windows, and upgraded to every single version all the way up to Windows 8, and some old program or game from Windows 1 days works on Windows 8.

Windows 7 and then switch to Windows 9 whenever Microsoft gets a competent CEO that doesn't make stupid decisions for the company.

Windows 8 + StartIsBack is beast.

More optimizations and drivers will arrive in the future

Supported longer

Boots really fast from SSD compared to 7.