YouTube Community Guideline Strikes Take down educational hacking videos

I'm posting this here in hopes that they talk about this in the next WAN show (BTW great show). A channel I watch a bit on advance technology how-to is Eli The Computer Guy. He posted a video 3 or so years ago on how to "hack" a html box to tell you the passwords. It's basically you do a inspect, and change the HTML to not hide the password. Below is a video that someone copy and put on their channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6ws-h9pvA

Anyways, on the 22 YouTube took down that video and gave him a strike. He has a screenshot of what they sent, and it's stupid.

It basically says they are taking down the video and giving him a strike because it "encourages or provides instruction for technologically malicious activity."

The problem with this is it was an educational videos. This means stuff on my channel, nearly all channels that Linus is apart of, and most others are apart of can be hit for having a 100% educational video. This also forces people who actually know how to prevent others from hacking or modding from actually telling others how to protect their systems.

UPDATE:

He just put out a new video.

This is why I wanted to have the big tech channels actually talk about it.

Again, this abusive relationship with YouTube is going to keep happening if this isn't talked about.

BTW, if this or at least this problem does get mention on the WAN show. Can you help me out by giving my channel a shoutout.

Tech Reviews and Help [nope]

I'm pretty sure advertising your own channel is against the CoC. Also, have any other sources for this?

I'm posting this here in hopes that they talk about this in the next WAN show (BTW great show). A channel I watch a bit on advance technology how-to is Eli The Computer Guy. He posted a video 3 or so years ago on how to "hack" a html box to tell you the passwords. It's basically you do a inspect, and change the HTML to not hide the password. Below is a video that someone copy and put on their channel. 

It basically says they are taking down the video and giving him a strike because it "encourages or provides instruction for technologically malicious activity."

The problem with this is it was an educational videos. This means stuff on my channel, nearly all channels that Linus is apart of, and most others are apart of can be hit for having a 100% educational video. This also forces people who actually know how to prevent others from hacking or modding from actually telling others how to protect their systems.

BTW, if this or at least this problem does get mention on the WAN show. Can you help me out by giving my channel a shoutout.

Tech Reviews and Help https://www.youtube.com/user/TechRHelp

Hmm, I mean I'm sort of on both sides on what to think. For one, it can cause  malicious activity. It's like making a video on robbing people, sure it can be educational but if the wrong people see it it can cause problems  you know what I mean? 

I think taking down the video 3 years after it was first posted is very silly and if they were going to take it down it should of been when it first came out. And yes it can educate people in info sec. 

I'm pretty sure advertising your own channel is against the CoC. Also, have any other sources for this?

The links/videos I posted has screenshots and everything showing the problem. I'm not sure what you're asking about with other sources.

Anyways, as far as ad my own channel with the TRH thing. I'm asking them to give a shout out (and telling them what my channel is). But if it's a problem. It can easily be fixed.

Hmm, I mean I'm sort of on both sides on what to think. For one, it can cause  malicious activity. It's like making a video on robbing people, sure it can be educational but if the wrong people see it it can cause problems  you know what I mean? 

I think taking down the video 3 years after it was first posted is very silly and if they were going to take it down it should of been when it first came out. And yes it can educate people in info sec. 

The problem is, any hacking or modding can be consider under the lose terms YouTube gave. Because of that, nearly all of the tech how-to videos out there are against this term.

Now as far as teaching people how to hack. Teaching people how a hack is done is useful for the person learning how to protect their system. For example, there was a TV show a few years back on how to break in people's houses. One thing I learned from that is to lock up your ladders, and make sure your neighbor doesn't have their ladder just hanging around. Another is to look at what the person is wearing.

(a few of the shows they dressed up in the brown clothes to look like a UPS driver. They didn't have the logo, but the people never looked for it.)

Same thing applies here. The most, a lot of people get when it comes to hacking is brute force or it's magic. Legally showing someone how to hack will show it isn't magic, and they can simply protect themselves by doing exactly a handful of things.

The problem is, any hacking or modding can be consider under the lose terms YouTube gave. Because of that, nearly all of the tech how-to videos out there are against this term.

Now as far as teaching people how to hack. Teaching people how a hack is done is useful for the person learning how to protect their system. For example, there was a TV show a few years back on how to break in people's houses. One thing I learned from that is to lock up your ladders, and make sure your neighbor doesn't have their ladder just hanging around. Another is to look at what the person is wearing.

(a few of the shows they dressed up in the brown clothes to look like a UPS driver. They didn't have the logo, but the people never looked for it.)

Same thing applies here. The most a lot of people get when it comes to hacking is brute force or it's magic. Legally showing someone how to hack will show it isn't magic, and they can simply protect themselves by doing exactly a handful of things.

Yeah I didn't think that through. It's like people making malware to learn on how it works to protect computers from it etc.

Remove your self advert and channel beg. Against the Code of Conduct.

Otherwise the post is fine (the mods may want an alternate source and a quote)

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Yeah I didn't think that through. It's like people making malware to learn on how it works to protect computers from it etc.

Exactly. As long as the hack is 100% legal, it explains how to stop that from happening to you, and you're not telling people to actually do the hack unless if it's 100% legal. Then there should be no problem. 

Keep in mind, a lot of people around the world can't afford to go to school to learn this or hire someone. 

Because of this, I think the major tech educational channels need to put their foot down and actually talk about this. Otherwise this abusive relationship with YouTube is going to keep happening.

Remove your self advert and channel beg. Against the Code of Conduct.

Otherwise the post is fine (the mods may want an alternate source and a quote)

I just removed it.

poor eli, first MS now youtube. When will the madness stop?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Exactly. As long as the hack is 100% legal, it explains how to stop that from happening to you, and you're not telling people to actually do the hack unless if it's 100% legal. Then there should be no problem. 

Keep in mind, a lot of people around the world can't afford to go to school to learn this or hire someone. 

Because of this, I think the major tech educational channels need to put their foot down and actually talk about this. Otherwise this abusive relationship with YouTube is going to keep happening.

I just removed it.

You still have the link to your channel :/

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Nothing surprising, I'm sure sites like YT don't want to have videos of how to gain knowledge about hacking, be it for malicious or non-malicious purposes. It's simply there and it doesn't suit them for stuff like that be there for everyone.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Is the videos main intention and purpose "here is how to protect yourself from this hack"

or is the video just showing you "here is how to do the hack"

that is a very different thing

Should a video like that be taken down? maybe? maybe not, I see it both ways, but at the end of the day, YouTube is not 100% freedom platform, you live and die by YouTubes rules

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You signed the eula to YouTube. They have every right to take down your videos if they need to.

Magical Pineapples

Is the videos main intention and purpose "here is how to protect yourself from this hack"

or is the video just showing you "here is how to do the hack"

that is a very different thing

Should a video like that be taken down? maybe? maybe not, I see it both ways, but at the end of the day, YouTube is not 100% freedom platform, you live and die by YouTubes rules

if you watched the video it's both: here's how you could find out a password on site that use html forms, here's how you should act to protect yourself and, of curse, obvious disclaimers: hacking is not a felony it's multiple felonies, test only on your own platform yada yada yada...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

if you watched the video it's both: here's how you could find out a password on site that use html forms, here's how you should act to protect yourself and, of curse, obvious disclaimers: hacking is not a felony it's multiple felonies, test only on your own platform yada yada yada...

Sorry I was at work so I didnt have a chance to see it!, then perhaps there was no reason to take it down

But as stated, its YouTubes site, they are entitled to do what they want - not that it makes it right

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

He is leaving.

This is why I wanted to have the big tech channels actually talk about it.

But as stated, its YouTubes site, they are entitled to do what they want - not that it makes it right

Again, this abusive relationship with YouTube is going to keep happening if this isn't talked about.

Bye Felicia!!! Throw your little tantrum somewhere else... YouTube has every right to decide what content they want displayed through their format. He uploaded a video and gave ideas how to steal passwords from other users and coworkers.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Bye Felicia!!! Throw your little tantrum somewhere else... YouTube has every right to decide what content they want displayed through their format. He uploaded a video and gave ideas how to steal passwords from other users and coworkers.

This is an example of a person who didn't read what I wrote. Most of what Linus has done, most of what other big tech channels have done, and most of what smaller channels have done can be screwed over by this. 

Simply to put it, the terms are so damn lose that almost anything falls under it. This is to include modding your computer.

On top of this, there is a ton of cert videos that does 100% fall under this. By cert videos I mean videos from places like Professor Messer, which does a ton of study videos for $300+ certs you need to get some jobs or degrees.

This is not a small issue, and it's no way a 1 person issue. And this is why the bigger channels need to talk about YouTube's horrible business practices. Otherwise, this crap is going to keep getting worst.

This is an example of a person who didn't read what I wrote. Most of what Linus has done, most of what other big tech channels have done, and most of what smaller channels have done can be screwed over by this. 

Simply to put it, the terms are so damn lose that almost anything falls under it. This is to include modding your computer.

On top of this, there is a ton of cert videos that does 100% fall under this. By cert videos I mean videos from places like Professor Messer, which does a ton of study videos for $300+ certs you need to get some jobs or degrees.

This is not a small issue, and it's no way a 1 person issue. And this is why the bigger channels need to talk about YouTube's horrible business practices. Otherwise, this crap is going to keep getting worst.

This is an example of a fan boy defending whatever someone does. It's one thing to teach something technical, but then to give ideas of other ways to use this method to perform identity  theft on other people. It's clear you only posted this article because you're a big fan boy and you want to promote your channel with your creepy voice. This isn't news worthy at all.

Please show me where Linus and other channels have taught and given ideas on how to perform identity theft on others?

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

What ? Not Eli !! That guy is my source for learning I.t and net admin information

Why doesn't YouTube do something about all the videos shoeing people how to set up a botnet or use security clients in a malicious and illegal way.

Man f*** YouTube

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

YouTube shouldn't just give strikes for videos over a year old without asking them to take it down first. The video might have been allowed at the time it was uploaded and then the guidelines changed. YouTube can't seriously expect creators with a lot of videos to read through the guidelines and know which videos are in violation. He said in another video his CPM is exponentially higher than most peoples so YouTube is losing a decent amount of revenue(Eli estimated YouTube earns at least $50k from his videos).

YouTube shouldn't just give strikes for videos over a year old without asking them to take it down first. The video might have been allowed at the time it was uploaded and then the guidelines changed. YouTube can't seriously expect creators with a lot of videos to read through the guidelines and know which videos are in violation. He said in another video his CPM is exponentially higher than most peoples so YouTube is losing a decent amount of revenue(Eli estimated YouTube earns at least $50k from his videos).

When YouTube is your source of income, it's in your best interest to keep track of all the changes. Just like in the real world, ignorance is never a credible defense. YouTube did nothing out of line. They didn't delete or ban his account. All they did want give him a strike which was definitely warranted by his content.

I've reached out to our YouTube contact to see if there's anything they can do..

Thanks, but it still does need to be talked about publicly. Or at least YouTube needs to become more user friendly and clear about their policies. 

There is no reason why anyone should have to worry about a several year old video messing them over because the rules changed, the rules are so open to interpretation, or just because .

As Eli said in his video, there is no reason why YouTube isn't developing an open communication with the uploaders themselves. 

(I had a video removed on my channel by YouTube, and they said I was free to upload it because it didn't break any of their policies or anything. I have no idea why it was removed in the first place because I can't get anything other than an automated e-mail back)

Otherwise, everyone else still has to deal with this, and it's just going to get worst. 

By the way, how are you able to reach out to an actual person at YouTube? 

Thanks, but it still does need to be talked about publicly. Or at least YouTube needs to become more user friendly and clear about their policies. 

There is no reason why anyone should have to worry about a several year old video messing them over because the rules changed, the rules are so open to interpretation, or just because .

As Eli said in his video, there is no reason why YouTube isn't developing an open communication with the uploaders themselves. 

(I had a video removed on my channel by YouTube, and they said I was free to upload it because it didn't break any of their policies or anything. I have no idea why it was removed in the first place because I can't get anything other than an automated e-mail back)

Otherwise, everyone else still has to deal with this, and it's just going to get worst. 

By the way, how are you able to reach out to an actual person at YouTube? 

He knows people working at YouTube and actual emails to individuals.  

Magical Pineapples

He knows people working at YouTube and actual emails to individuals.  

I was always wondering about that, and I figured it was something like that. But, I think it's cool for him to ask them about this.

I just hope YouTube gets to be more open about actually talking to people and using less automated messages to channels that are serious about YouTube. In fact, if they can only change 1 thing. I think that's the biggest thing to change.

Again, thanks Linus for sending them a message. Maybe this can start a change on how YouTube does their business with channels that is serious.