Samsung begins mass production of 4GB HBM2 stacks

zMeul

source: http://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-begins-mass-producing-worlds-fastest-dram-based-on-newest-high-bandwidth-memory-hbm-interface

Samsung Electronics announced that it has begun mass producing the industry’s first 4-gigabyte (GB) DRAM package based on the second-generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) interface, for use in high performance computing (HPC), advanced graphics and network systems, as well as enterprise servers. Samsung’s new HBM solution will offer unprecedented DRAM performance – more than seven times faster than the current DRAM performance limit, allowing faster responsiveness for high-end computing tasks including parallel computing, graphics rendering and machine learning.

“By mass producing next-generation HBM2 DRAM, we can contribute much more to the rapid adoption of next-generation HPC systems by global IT companies,” said Sewon Chun, senior vice president, Memory Marketing, Samsung Electronics. “Also, in using our 3D memory technology here, we can more proactively cope with the multifaceted needs of global IT, while at the same time strengthening the foundation for future growth of the DRAM market.”

the 4GB stack is manufactured in 20nm and was achieved by stacking four 8 gigabit cores on top of a buffer die; they are vertically interconnected by TSV (Through Silicon Vias) holes and microbumps - over 5000 per single 8gb die

4GB-HBM2-DRAM-structure_main.jpg

Samsung's DRM package offers 256GBps of bandwidth - twice as much as HBM1 and ~7 times more than a single 4Gb GDDR5 chip

Samsung also plans to introduce 8GB HBM2 stacks, specifically to be used in GPU production, during this year - no concrete date

---

if nVidia was planning to source 8GB HBM2 from Samsung, looks like they'll have to wait a bit longer

but this doesn't mean they can't use multiple 4GB stacks - depending on how exactly they engineered the memory controller inside the GPU

Well it looks like the next generation of GPUs are nearly in full production.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Soooo, Nvidia 32GB TItan not coming?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Would it not be pretty cool if top end zen cpu came with 4/8 gbs of ram ON BOARD. OR mayber the zen apus.

I'll not buy a GPU until both teams have released their full next lineup, no matter how good the technology of the first cards will be.

I see your logic, but im going for amd. My plan is 2 nvidia gpus, 2 amd, 2 nvidia etc.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Oh yes! Come to papa.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

They have 8GB stacks coming too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm quite sure they are coming later on, same with GM204 and 200. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Awesome. Can't wait to see how much top cards will have VRAM and also maybe APU with ton of it :P ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Nice. Can't wait for Pascal

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

does this mean, we maybe can get 4GB HBM2 AMD APUs??? (since they werent specifically aiming these for GPUs, unlike the 8GB versions)

if so... hell yes!!!

Well afaik, HK Hynix should have 8GB stacks. SO AMD can pretty much do what they want. NVidia, maybe not so much.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

@zMeul, NVIDIA could certainly still use 8GB of HBM2 with this - remember, AMD used 4x 1GB HBM 1.0 stacks. So if Samsung has 4GB stacks ready to use, that means you could do up to 4x 4GB = 16GB HBM2 onboard. Assuming NVIDIA is capable of producing similar technology as AMD, which we have no reason to doubt yet.

Probably wont be 32gb, most likely 16 gb. (4x4gb)

That was my thought as well - and there's no reason that they won't have 8GB stacks ready later this year, so we could still see 32GB HBM2 GPU's (Tesla's/FirePro's) at the tail end of the year.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@zMeul, NVIDIA could certainly still use 8GB of HBM2 with this - remember, AMD used 4x 1GB HBM 1.0 stacks. So if Samsung has 4GB stacks ready to use, that means you could do up to 4x 4GB = 16GB HBM2 onboard. Assuming NVIDIA is capable of producing similar technology as AMD, which we have no reason to doubt yet.

I know, this is why I said they could use multiple 4GB stacks

the weird part of the 8GB stacks is that Samsung were adamant them being used in GPUs

In addition, Samsung plans to produce an 8GB HBM2 DRAM package within this year. By specifying 8GB HBM2 DRAM in graphics cards, designers will be able to enjoy a space savings of more than 95 percent, compared to using GDDR5 DRAM, offering more optimal solutions for compact devices that require high-level graphics computing capabilities.

does this mean, we maybe can get 4GB HBM2 AMD APUs??? (since they werent specifically aiming these for GPUs, unlike the 8GB versions)

if so... hell yes!!!

That'd be interesting to see.

I know, this is why I said they could use multiple 4GB stacks

the weird part of the 8GB stacks is that Samsung were adamant them being used in GPUs

Well I have no doubt we'll see both FirePro and Quadro workstation GPU's that use 32GB of HBM2 - I would think that's pretty much a given at this point.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So now we need the core technology to be able to take advantage as well as the api's

Yes bring the new technology, my body is ready (tho my wallet isn't)

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

I'll not buy a GPU until both teams have released their full next lineup, no matter how good the technology of the first cards will be.

I'm hoping the jump is big enough to justify me upgrading from a 970 :c 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

i wonder if this would be somewhat awkward for nvidia as they were in a big legal battle with samsung but then again samsung does make a lot of parts for the iphone so they would probably be fine