WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

1. I started out with 2x WD 2TB Green drives in a D-Link DNS-323, but I just kept wanting more.... more space, more functionality, more speed!  So I built a multi-purpose home server, and now I'm running 3x WD 2TB Green drives for storage with an i7 2600K and 24GB of RAM.  It is my local backup destination for all my other PC's (which is then backed up to Crashplan), movie, music and photo storage, Plex and XBMC media server, remote desktop machine and from time to time even a dedicated game server (currently Prop Hunt).

2. Facebook share from (Name Goes Here): I choose not to use Facebook anymore

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @tehPr0fess0r: https://twitter.com/tehPr0fess0r/status/375624516409368576

I currently run 2TB WD Red (That's right, red.) in my desktop. I got it on incredible sale for around €80, and it also compliments my further plans for getting another one in RAID 1, so I can safely store my data. Unfortunately I can't buy it now because I have other upgrades to care about, so this giveaway is awesome. I bought it because it was pretty cheap and it compliments my RAID plans.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I am using a 3TB Toshiba external drive for my backups.

I have some randy 5200RPM harddrive in my laptop why you ask, because I can't afford to upgrade to an SSD and would like this as an external mass storage 

ATM im running 2x Corsair force gt 3 60gb in raid 0 wanted to see if the speeds went up (barely did gets bottlenecked by the onboard controler) but kept it that way to have a 120gb OS drive.

besides that i run 3x WD1001Fals in raid 0 aswell started with 2 witch i picked at the time after like a week of checking WD vs seagate and chose these for speed and the reliability the black logo comes with. (running smooth for like 5 years i think)

Went to a 3e just to increase storage and try raid 5 changed back to raid 0.

In my laptop i run a 120gb kingston and a 500 Gb seagate instead of a DVD drive why cause both were cheap and kingston is a trustworthy brand as far as i know.

besides this i run ofc back-ups to keep my terible raid setup safe xD 1x WD livebook 1,5TB and 1 live gigabit 3TB

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

1. I am using a 1TB Samsung hard drive for my daily desktop storage needs because the price was cheap, very reliable and recommended by my friends. I also use a 3TB Toshiba external hard drive to backup all my music, photos and videos and other important data as I don't want to lose them in case my OS get corrupted or infected by viruses.

2. Facebook share from (james.semaj.16): (https://www.facebook.com/james.semaj.16/posts/548433188563601)

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @88k8y: (https://twitter.com/88k8y/status/375634203842326528)

4. Community Site share with nickname (james p): (https://plus.google.com/108074489889950064025/posts/65VMb1AGFUs)

Hi Linus 

My master drive is an 80gb Ide with an identical drive on slave. I also have a 160gb toshiba sata hdd and am 320gb wd (i think)

I use this set up because I have never had an IDE drive fail on me, They are extremely reliable. The drives were given to me for free by my friend 3 years ago and I have never had problems with them. They are quite cheap to get hold of too. Dad got a 120gb for 15 quid!

I would love this drive for many reasons but what's the point in listing them. Linus just wants to know why we use them and I have done so.

here are my bonus links..

Facebook share from (Robert AInsworth): ( )

Twitter share with Twitter handle @ainsey11: (https://twitter.com/ainsey11/status/375635038978584576)

Community Site share with nickname (admin): (http://thebeast.co.nr/?=wd)

The website url is :  http://thebeast.co.nr/ (if anybody wants to have a look)

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

I run a single Samsung 840EVO as my boot drive, with 2 Western Digital Red Drives in Software Raid 0. This means I can pull the configuration apart and swap between machines if necessary for quick and easy transfers. Window's disk management utility makes this easy. I run this set-up so that my personal files are safe but I also get lightning fast boot times and performance from my SSD, all at a reasonable cost.

Twitter share with Twitter handle @rhoscrazyhttps://twitter.com/rhoscrazy/status/375645329942523904

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

1. I am using OEM 80 GB HDD from my Asher Comrade pre built system way back 7 years ago :D , it used as standalone HDD. I like the HDD as it never fail nor makes clicking noise even after 18 hours / day usage for the last 7 years every day. The storage size is still adequate for my family, I do download movies, but after watching I just delete them anyway 4 kamen rider dramas and 5 animes so far I hope manufacturer want to consider lower cost low size HDD but more reliable HDD.     

2. Facebook share https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=466498983457100&id=100002910075446

My current external hard drive is being run, more or less, out of necessity.  I have a lot of music and a lot of pictures and the HD I was using was running out of room.  Currently, I am needing to upgrade my desktop HD as it keeps telling me it's about to fail.

I am using the external as it was cheap, and sufficed in size, I am using the one on my desktop as it was the one the computer came with.

My desktop computer has 2 internal hard drives (Seagate), plus an external one (WD).

The main one is a 2TB HD, it has the OS and another partition to store important files  (my documents, important files that I should never lose, and games/movies that I don't want to look for the disk as I use them periodically, etc).

The other one, has 1TB, as it is older and slower is in charge of keeping the pace that the torrent demands, and to store files that I could delete if I need some space (I manage to be always lacking space...).

The external drive, 1TB is destined to store the backup of important files.

It would be cool to have 1 drive instead of 3 and still have the same amount of space haha I won't doubt in running a RAID1 with so many free space available.

I have a Western Digital Blue 500gb from . . 2011, I think? Man, I did more research than any harddrive buyer should have. I combed (with a brick ;) ) hundreds of reviews on all sorts of drives and manufacturers. I made spread sheet charts comparing prices and ratings from Newegg, NCIX, Amazon . . Finally, I decided that the Blue 500gb was the perfect one for me. Price, one of the best bangs for buck. Reliability, 500gb was the most you could get on a single platter at that time, so should last awhile. And sound, quieter than the popular WD Blacks. Gotta admit, I thought RAID looked a bit complicated for a first time builder, and I didn't need any more storage at the time.

But 2 years later, and I'm starting to run out of space. If I could buy another drive right now, I'd probably go with the WD RE4 for the extra reliability, speed and warranty. I'm thinking of SSDs since prices come down, but still not for a storage device. I usually grab breakfast anyway while I'm waiting for my computer to load, so 3 minutes vs 3 seconds isn't that big a deal for me. :)

I have 1 WD 1TB Caviar Black, basicly bought it because I wanted to have the 'best' avaible drive out there. 
Aswell an Crucial M4 128Gb SSD boot drive and for my main games. 

Twitter: @Kiwiandapple24: https://twitter.com/Kiwiandapple24/status/375666690530349057

Facebook: Joey van der Kruk: https://www.facebook.com/joey.vanderkruk (no idea how to link to the actuall shared link) 

Reddit: Kiwiandapple: http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1lspgq/linustechtips_giveaway/

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

I'm running 2 Seagate Barracuda's, 1 is a 1TB from 2011 and I got a 2TB earlier this year.

The 1TB crashed earlier this year so now I'm using it as a slave drive for a grand total of 3TB's! :)

I know I should upgrade to an SSD someday but this was cost effective for me and its about the amount of space I need.

Thanks for the great comps Linus!

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

Right Now I'm running a 1tb WD green drive and a 600gb velociraptor with a samsung 840 boot drive. I'm planning on building a nas and these would be perfect. 

I'm running a 120gb 2.5" oem laptop drive (toshiba 5400rpm, if I recall; I didn't get to config my laptop) and a single external 4tb Seagate, which was pretty much the best capacity/$$ (still is I think). But given more budget I'd totally go for raid 1, since already I almost lost all of my data once or twice. Back your stuff up, people!

In my current PC i have a 256gb vertex 2 as a boot drive as i got it for a good price and needed larger storage than a 60gb one i had previously. I also have a 1tb samsung F3 barracuda drive which i got together with another for £30 each before the hard drive prices skyrocketed. the other drive is in my NAS as a backup drive for my major files alongside another 3tb seagate barracuda which has the bulk of the data for all the users in the house (documents and other things shared across three computers).

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I've got a seagate barracudo 2tb 3.5inch.(its running as my boot drive) A 260gb WD 2.5 inch laptop drive running in raid with another 2.5 toshiba 320gb. (for extra storage and speed) The 320gb drive has two partitions so I can run raid with the smaller drive. The seagate barracudo I bought when I built my pc mainly because it was the cheapest 7200rpm drive for the amount of space it has. The 320gb hard drive was in my laptop but then I upgraded it to a 1tb so I put the 320gb in my desktop and the 260gb came from my moms old laptop that nobody uses since she got a new computer.I don't really need the storage space but it would be great hard drives for raid on my upcoming file server build. Twitter post here user @MatthewKessler5 https://twitter.com/MatthewKessler5

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Ive got a 256gb Samsung pro and a 1tb Toshiba HDD out of room on my SSD and only about 100gb left on my HDD between all my movies and games.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

I always liked a combination of variety on hard drives ,

I thought about running a raid setup however it's new to me and something I will look into the future but for the time being ,  

Running a  AMD  phenom2 x6 1100T  @4.0Ghz with top of the line components like asus corsair , coolermaster  

I was running a ocz 120G vertex 2 and it died ,

I later replaced this hard drive with a corsair force GT 120G

the corsair is my primary boot drive for my os ,  I aslo have a WD black   1TB 7200 RPM  SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 as my main hard drive for my other data or large file as a 120SSD does not go far ,

so how I run my setup currently is only 2 hard drives and backup regularly on a few external usb drives my important data I have a clone on 2 externals ,

raid setup might be more practical ,

price of SSD at the time of my build were not cheap or why I did not go with huge SSD or raid at that time  while building my new rig , 3000$ was spend into it with top quality items

Probably why I only bought one for the time being , Would be fun and interesting to experience something new like raid as much as its interesting learning new things that you don't know already 

I'm running a wide variety of drives. For me it always came down to the price/size of what was available at the time. I currently have 1, 1.5, and 3TB drives in my main machines for storage. I also have 60, 90, 120, 256, and 500Gb SSD's that I picked up as the price dropped. Of these 8 drives I ended up with no two the same. The hdd are WD and Seagate and the ssd's are OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, and Samsung. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

I have a Windows Home Server 2011 server that is running FlexRAID. It has 2x 3TB HDD (Both Seagate models) inside the server chassis itself running off the Intel chipset. I then have an LSI 8888-ELP RAID Card installed, connected to a 16 bay SAS Expander (SE3016). Inside the SAS expander is 2x 500GB (Hitachi), and 1x 2TB (WD Green).

Why do I run this setup? For multiple reasons:

1. To learn about server setups, RAID, and SAS expanders

2. To store all my digital media, most especially my Blu-Ray rips

3. To have a central storage location for files

4. To backup all client machines to one place in an automated manner (Also, restore is fairly painless - had to restore my HTPC once when my roommate got a virus on it)

5. And most importantly, it's badass to say "I've got 9TB of HDD's"

Facebook (Michael Wood): https://www.facebook.com/woodmichaelrobert/posts/10202093025875640

Twitter (Dalek Phalm): https://twitter.com/DalekPhalm/status/375769671523254274

I hope I win! :D

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I am running a single 2Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD because at the time I could not afford a SSD in my build at the time.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360