WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

1. I am stuck with my laptop for now, which has 500gb provide by Microsoft and I run it because at the time, I did not know about pc building until you (Linus Sebastian) created this forum in which I learned alot of new things about tech and pc building and also my family don't like pcs because they say it's to hard to move around. I am planning to build a new rig the one in my sig which will hopefully be cheap and able to store the things I need and keep up with the speed.

2. https://twitter.com/Realmofcool/status/375806141491470338 (@Realmofcool)

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I run JBOD because I can't afford to RAID. I have two 1TB Caviar Blacks, 500GB Caviar Blue, 500GB Barracuda and a 1TB USB 2.0 Elements for backup.

~meOw! Σ:3

I am currently using three drives in my desktop. 

My boot drive is a crucial m4 120GB. I chose this drive because of the track record crucial has for after sales support through firmware updates

I also have a 1tb caviar black drive for non-steam games and large programs. I love these drives for the additional speed and I have noticed some difference in game load times.

My final drive is a WD caviar green 2TB which has my Steam games, basically I have this drive because my steam library was expanding so fast that soon it was about 1.3 TB over a couple of caviar black 1 tb drives, I needed the extra space so I sold one of my 1tb drives and bought the green.

This setup has basically evolved as the PC ages, I started with a single 1tb caviar black 2 years ago and added the ssd and 2tb green

The reason I have this setup is essentially because I have so many games. My steam collection just hit 390, 21 games on origin, and an unknown number of non steam games

https://twitter.com/lilbomba51/status/375992720482787328

I have no hard drives in any of the machines I actually work with. I have two 120GB Kingston SSDNow V200+ SSDs in my gaming rig. The SSDs are configured in RAID0 (boy, was that a mistake). I have another120GB Kingston SSDNow V200+ SSD in my laptop. I love those SSDs. Have install about a dozen of them in multiple systems already.

All of my storage is centralized in my home made K'nex Server. I have it set up with Debian and am running mdadm as a software RAID5 controller (tutorial on a Debian home server). In this server, I have a 60GB Kingston SSDnow V300 SSD as boot drive and three WD Caviar Green 2TB hard drives (two  WD20EARX drives and one WD20EARS drive). I also have my server set up to sync all my documents via Bittorrent Sync to an off-site server and to my laptop.

I'm running this setup for multiple reasons

1. I love building systems and thinkering with them
  2. I needed more storage space than the single drive that was in my previous system
  3. I wanted SSDs in all the machines I work with, both fo rperformance and rigidity
  4. I wanted secure storage (e.g. protected from hardware errors, fires, lightning, you name it). On that note: the RAID array has already survived two complete system rebuilds and three OS reinstalls)
  5. I needed all my documents available at school and at home and I needed them to be in sync at all times
  6. I like K'nex

Facebook post (Simon Beirnaert): https://www.facebook.com/simonbeirnaert/posts/10201885896370027

Twitter post ( @MG2R ): https://twitter.com/MG2R/status/376008411927674880

Third party site post: https://plus.google.com/114774128950272893084/posts/JUw9qL8mMpQ

I use a simple one HDD solution for now, its a 1tb seagate barracuda why? Because of my budget mostly, but im running low on storage space 100gb left lol :D I'm trying to keep it that way. :D

Twitter: @omgitskristaps https://twitter.com/OmgItsKristaps/status/376005117503234050

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Got a DNS-323 with 2x 2TB WD Green drives for all my movies and tv shows. Really should be running them in Raid 1 but 2TB total storage wouldn't be enough. 4TB would be though ;) *cough cough*

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

Im using a simple single WD black drive from way back. Its a 1TB and suits my purposes. Though next build will include a ssd or two :)

I only have a laptop, no dedicated Desktop PC. So I run on a simple 250Gb SSD on my Laptop.

Beside of that I run two identical NASs:

Custom built Nas4free machines with 4x3Tb WD-green drives. I made this choice because of energy consumption.

I have two of them because I share all my media (photos, music, ...) with my parent's house. I use BTsync to synchronise the folders over the internet. This way I have my backups on my NAS at home, and sync all the shared media with my parents so that they can watch and listen to the latest stuff.

Now, why I chose a NAS in comparison to a simple external HDD, is that it can do so much by itself (redundancy, sync, airplay, itunes database, upnp, ...) when compared to a simple HDD.

I have two 500 gb HDDs ond is a segate barracuda i got on newegg and one I found in an old pc at the dump but it works and runs on sata. I do not run raid because my instincts tell me that the HDD I found at the domp probally wont last much longer

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

• I have a desktop with 2 128GB SSD's for speed (not in RAID at all) and a 1TB Hitachi HDD. I will eventually be getting another 128GB SSD for plenty of super fast storage.

Storage and why:

1TB Hitachi HDD for storage on the desktop because it was cheap and is for storing games long term. It was purchased before I owned the NAS.

1 128GB SanDisk SSD because it was cheap and fast. For short term storage and accessing games at awesome speeds. I just copy them from the 1TB HDD when I want to play. Steam makes this easy.

1 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD because it was fast and sexy. Same thing as the other SSD's.

Eventually another Kingston 128GB SSD for same reasons.

I have a home made NAS running FreeNAS 8.3.1 that has a single 4TB Seagate HDD inside my old gaming computer that has 8GB of RAM with an AMD Phenom II X4 downlclocked to 2GHz and only 2 cores enabled.

Storage and why:

4TB Seagate HDD because it was cheap and big (in capacity). This is for backing up everything (redundancy). 

I seriously need another 4TB drive to get it to RAID1 at the very least in my NAS. No redundancy except what is on my computer in the 1TB HDD.

Halp meh Linus and WD!

• Facebook share from Payden Keith Pringle: I love giveaways.

• Twitter share with Twitter handle @PaydenKP: I reallly love giveaways.

• Community Site share with nickname TremorAcePV: I mean, I REALLY love giveaways. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I run a WD 2TB green drive because I needed storage for all of my music, and movies (1.3TB worth) and I run 2 500GB 7200 rpm drives in raid 0 for all of my games (650GB worth) because load times are terrible on the green drive.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

i use one 120 gig corsair ssd one cheap seagate 1tb drive and an old 160 gb drive. the 160gb one is out of my old pc and the other ones were recommended by a friend of mine

I have a 250 gb Samsung 840 series SSD for booting and to reduce game load times , plus because I got it for 40 pounds because amazon messed up their pricing.

1tb seagate barracuda just because it was decent size to load all of my design work onto and general stuff

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/

Currently I use a very very strange assortment of various SATA External / Internal HDDs with one 250GB SSD for my OS and favorite games. (on my Desktop). The highest capacity drive I use is 500GB and my files are literally scattered over 4-5 drives totalling around 2TB. I do this due to the fact that I've been adding drives over the course of 2 years. Some drives i purchased during Newegg sales, others i acquired salvaging my family/friends' old setups and prayed they weren't IDE drives. I really wish I had a massive WD raid setup to simplify my storage solution. Even if I don't win, I'm really glad to be part of such an awesome community like LTT and watch it grow every day. Keep up the awesome work and the awesome giveaways!!!!

Thanks, Chris

EDIT: bad math xD

I currently have a really cheap 3.5in 2TB hard drive in my tower that I use for pretty much everything. I know I'll eventually get some hdds to put in raid and then use an ssd as a boot but...just not there yet.

I use 3 drives: Seagate 500Gb, Samsung 250Gb and a Seagate 1.5 Tb external. The reason being that I don't have money for an ssd right now, otherwise I would use one, and I like the fact that they can operate independently. For example: I can copy things from the one drive to the other, while scanning the 3rd for spyware, and not lose any performance.

I run a single 1tb hdd in 2 partitions 1 250 gig one for boot and the rest of the drive for storage. Externally I run 8tb of g-raid drives for all of my youtube videos. I chose this config because i'm not one who needs the speed of an ssd just yet, and seeing as though I had 2 fail on me I just went back to hdd's for my current storage array.

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

i have a 120gb samsung  ssd because samsung makes awesome ssd's and a 1tb wd blue because it a cheap all around great drive. I would love more storage, honestly you can never have enough storage.

As for social media, i do not use my twitter, and i do not feel like this will interest my friends, so i  am not going to share it to everyone on facebook, however i will share it on skype for those who cares about tech.

Sorry for not sharing it with that many people, however i do not want to create a new twitter just for the sake of getting a higher chance of winning, and most people on my facebook, do not really know anything about harddrives or much about computers in general.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I'm currently running a 120GB SSD and a 1TB Barracuda, the reason for this is that I have not got the money to upgrade to a NAS at the moment and am currently at the point where I will have to migrate my data elsewhere.

Twitter, @Samgdb: https://twitter.com/samgdb/status/376055143403245568

Google+, Sam Galley: https://plus.google.com/117990593609749843928/posts/MnzKBAjdZTG

1. My desktop has 1x WD Caviar Black 1 TB for program files, and 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB in RAID 1 for personal files. I could care less about losing my programs, so I only have my personal files on RAID 1 for extra redundancy. I'm still waiting for a good deal on a large capactiy SSD to replace the WD Caviar Black. For sharing photos, songs, movies and whatnot with my family, I have a DNS-323 NAS with 2x WD 500 GB in RAID 1. For backup (whenver I get around to it), I have 1x WD 1.5 TB USB 2.0 external hdd and 1x Seagate 4 TB USB 3.0 external hdd. Then, as added precaution, I have a whole bunch of old IDE drives lying around with various sizes that I use for backup as well, but I keep the drives at the office in case my house burns down :P My setup evolves over time, and usually its dictated by the best deal (i.e., best bang for the buck) around at the time that I need to expand my storage space.

3. @0DNUMD3: https://twitter.com/0DNUMD3/status/376073217263157248

1. I run my OS and installs on a Samsung 840 250 Gb. Didn't care about the pro version because from what I understood it's better on write speeds, which I don't care that much about. I run my storage on an OLD 600 Gb HDD that is a leftover from my old computer. When I switched into building my first gaming rig, I wanted to keep my $ for gaming components and kept the old drive. I was going to switch to 2x 4 TB HDD in raid 1 for storage but I will wait the end of this giveaway... wink wink...

2. Facebook share from Alain Lemaire : https://www.facebook.com/alain.lemaire.967?hc_location=stream

3. Twitter share from @MayorBoxing : https://twitter.com/MayorBoxing/status/376073365766668288

Spoiler

This is simple... I run Samsung HDD 1TB because that's what I bought back in the past and an ADATA SSD because HDD is just soooooo sloooooooooooooow. On SSD is of course Win + programs. everything else goes to HDD.

I run 2 ssd's as boot drives:

1. Windows 8 (Mushkin chronos 240GB)

2. Ubuntu 13.04 (Adata SX900 128GB)

I have a 1Tb seagate storage drive for storage.

I run these storage solutions because the reviews I read for them were decent and the price was decent as well.

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

SSD because it's fast and pretty reliable!!!

Corsair 600T | Intel i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz (1.19v) Corsair H100i | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780  | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Samsung BluRay Reader/Writer

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Corsair HX1050 | Crucial M4 128GB | 2x Samsung 1TB RAID 0 | Asus PA246Q

http://imgur.com/n7fw9z6  Apple Macbook Pro Retina  15inch 2.4Ghz