WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

On my workstations i use SSD´s in Raid0 except the laptops.

Storage is on OpenBSD servers in a closet with mirrored drives (WD and Toshiba drives) and boots off a 60gb Corsair SSD where i save all documents, pictures and other stuff from all my computers (no local saves).

This also backups to a off-site server i have at a data center if something happens to my home.

I choosed this solution to get safe storage (encryption and OS wise) and i feel i have 100% control, the servers also do other stuff so neat to have in the same case (firewall, local dev. server & PBX).

All NAS;es i have tested have so much bull in their software i puke, and this makes them pretty slow and vurnerable for failures. (buffalo and Synology i had earlier). I have read that its got better nowdays, but my servers works fine so i wont fix anything that works :)

I just need a couple of folders shared and the data encrypted and nightly transfers to a storage server. No torrent clients, picture galleries or neat GUI´s, just plain and safe storage :)

My house can burn down, drives can die, laptops can get stolen and so on, data still saved either locally or on remote servers.

1. I have a desktop and I run 2 old 60GB SSDs in RAID 1. For my storage I run a 1TB harddrive which was - I believe - the largest format back then.  I use my storage HD for photos and for lossless audio backups of my CD's (FLAC).  I chose a non SSD drive for my storage as I didn't fully trust an SSD at that point in time, and also it wasn't financially feasible to use SSDs for storage (even today). My harddrive is probably close to it's time, so I'm now looking into building a NAS in the near future.

2. Twitter @AdrenalineJky: (https://twitter.com/AdrenalineJky/status/376094507755782144)

3. Community Site share (Reddit): (Southpawz): (http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1lvn33/linus_tech_tips_contest_4_tb_wd_red_giveaway/)

im running 1 128 samsung 840 pro for os and 128 msata drive for a select few games and other data needing fast access and then 650 gb wd drive for mass storage but looking for drives to set up a nas to hook up to network to stream content through house

1.  I run a 1TB Seagate drive in my PC that I use for my OS and downloads, as well as 2 external 1TB HD's(Fantom Drives) that I keep for movies, TV shows, anime, programs and music.  I run this mainly for storage and viewing purposes.

2. Facebook share from Paul Markovski: https://www.facebook.com/Mari666/posts/10151827314846329

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @PaulMarkovski: https://twitter.com/PaulMarkovski/status/376097039836127232

First off thanks to WD and Linus and his team for this awesome giveaway.

I have 1 1tb drive in my laptop, 1 3tb hdd and 2 1tb hdds in my desktop.

I have this configuration because I like to have lots of storage - I have lots of media (mainly films and music), however I would love more hdds because mine are really old and I no longer trust them with my data.

The reason that I have not got any more yet is mainly due to cost restraints, so I would love the HDDs from this giveaway.

Twitter:https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=376104425187577856&original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2F&tw_i=376104425187577856&tw_p=tweetembed

I want these so bad. Currently running a home made NAS setup I build for multiple xbmc media centers to run off as well as a back up for me, my mothers family photos etc and brothers stuff for his multimedia uni degree. Nas was built using my old parts from my desktop. Originally held 4x 2tb green drives, upgraded to 4x 3tb red drives when they came out and have since had to reinstall the greens for extra space. The 4tb drives would be amazing upgrade for me ATM.

Wow. Awesome Giveaway.

So right now I'm using a 120gb Samsung 840 SSD for Windows and boot programs, a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD for games and data and an old WD Green 320gb HDD for stuff like Fraps recordings.

-  AMD Phenom II X4 965BE - Asrock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro - 2x 4GB G.Skill - AMD Radeon 7850 VTX3D X-Edition 2GB - Samsung 840 120GB - Seagate Barracuda 1TB - WD Green 320GB - Thermaltake SmartPower 530W -

- Logitech G500 - Steelseries Qck - Sennheiser HD449 + Zalman MIC1 - Corsair Vengeance K70 -

I use a 1TB 3.5in HDD and an 8GB USB drive for backing up the core data that I use and that isnt stuff i can re-download. The reason why is it is cheap, and I already had the 8gb drive.

Facebook (Shad brown):

https://www.facebook.com/shad.brown.14/posts/571985076171679

Twitter (@Chosenminecraft):

https://twitter.com/Chosenminecraft/status/376110019353141250

Current Rig:
Intel core i7-4790k, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0, Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1, Corsair H100i, Kingston Hyperx Fury 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, WD Red 3TB (RAID 1), Corsair RM750, NZXT HUE, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

I'm planning a Premiere Pro/Creative Cloud video editing and archiving computer BUILD for a documentary I'm about to shoot. I intend to set up a RAID 5. The WD Red drives would start me off on the right track.

I have 6 1tb WD blue 2.5" hdd's running in my (dirt cheap) media centre, they are all stacked together ( i know its not good for them at all) I got them as external hdds for $50 and ripped them out

5 are running off sata (no raid) and the last I've used a USB 3.0 adapter and pluged it in via USB ( the mobo only has 6 sata ports and one has the DVD drive)

Each drive is loaded up with software and movies and one is used as a backup for work projects

I've got this setup because I bought the drives over the span of a few weeks and didnt want to format and set up a raid config with drives that aren't really meant for it

I'm saving to buy some more reliable raid drives (maybe WD reds? ) and then ill add them to a raid using a 3ware AMCC 9550SX-12 that I have ready to go

And my laptop I've got a ocz vertex 3 256Gb and in the optical bay I have a 1tb WD blue for all my media and work projects i did this because I want fast boot times and quick application load times

I run a Samsung 840 pro for my boot drive. Amazon had it on sale so I picked it up. For my Storage drives I went with 1TB WD black drive for my steam/origin games. I brought the black drive because they seemed to be the best performer in the market and the price was pretty good and I heard about their 5 year warranty which was a huge selling point for me because previously I have had a lot of trouble with some other drives failing as they ran out of their warranty support. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I am currently using a WD 3 TB drive for storing my media collection, which I've had to convert to e able to fit all of it onto the drive. Plus I also work on music and edit videos and run my main daily activities on this drive, so it would be great to be able to actually get the media the way they should be stored without changing anything on files. Plus I would like to use the extra drives to set up media centers throughout my home and have room to backup said files across the drives onto a spare drive.

1. Im currently running on a Laptop, Not much to expand in terms of storage although ive managed to aquire a 3tb Seagate external drive for recording and backup files :3   Also, i plan to build a desktop soon :) thanks to everyone here on the forums i now have the knowledge to do so :)

I use 3 1tb WD blues running off of my mother board chipset because they were cheap and decent drives.  I use this configuration because I wanted to set up the cheapest raid 5 possible.

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

I run my os on 2 120gb force series 3 ssds in raid 0 and for storage i have 12tb in raid 1. All of this fits nicely into my custom water cooled(of course) 900d. Its mainly for gaming and work. I chose my drives based on price. When it comes to storage i dont mind waiting a bit longer for data to copy over if it means i can save $50-$100. I have everything from wd blacks to toshiba drives in my system.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TellMeWhoItIs/statuses/376666785082130432\

At an average of 20 posts per page with 100 pages by the end of the month and an average of 2 entries per post i put the chances of me winning at .05%. Ill take those odds, they are far better than the lottery. lol

I have a single Seagate 250gb hard drive because it was cheap and ssds weren't affordable when I got the drive. I am looking to upgrade to an ssd though

I have a single Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb :lol: which I stole from my aunt's PC(swapped it with my 250gigs).

Q.Why I have this?

A. I'm cheap.

I use a Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB as my boot drive (mainly because it was 80€) and a WD Velociraptor 600GB as my internal storage drive ( I wanted a fast drive but at the time SSDs were not an option due to their price).

In addition to that I have recently bought a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus after my cousin dropped and killed my previous 2TB version. I would love to have some more internal storage though, as I am running low on space (About 100GB free space internally, about 2TB externally).

Old setup:

1x 120GB Kingston SSD  // Used for OS

1x 1TB Western Digital Black  // Used for Storage

Current setup:

1x 120GB Kingston SSD  // Used for OS

2x 1TB Western Digital Black in RAID 0 // Used for Storage

2x 2TB Western Digital Red // Both keeping backups of the WD Blacks... Once drive 'A' is full the backup will go to drive 'B'. Once that is full the oldest drive will be formated and set as current backup.. that way i have sort of a time machine thing

Any way I originally bought a 1TB drive because I was broke and was only renting my computer.. Yes, weird I know.. So when I made my own I added another WD Black in RAID 0 so I could have more storage and have a fast enough write speed to record gameplay using dxtory. Which I still haven't done 6 months latter.. Weirdly enough my single WD RED performs almost as well as my two WD Blacks do in RAID 0..

DiskSpeeds_zps188285ec.png

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/jordan.stocker/posts/10202322227079747

Twitter - https://twitter.com/tigerbomb8/status/382430422962929666

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

I run 4 2TB wd green drives in my server in RAID5. This is because it allows me to have one redundant drive incase anything goes wrong, however I was looking at upgrading them all to Reds at the end of the year for the peace of mind getting drives that are rated for 24/7 use.

I have run my current configuration for about 6 months, but have realised that even with a 6TB pool, I am starting to run out of space... too many movies ;)

Twitter: @kammel109 https://twitter.com/kammel109/status/376809108789153792

I run the standard 500 GB Seagate hard drive that came in my laptop, a 1 TB WD My Passport hard drive, and about a billion flash drives. I use the 500 GB standard one because it's a junk laptop, and I don't have enough money to buy a better laptop, and I don't want to kill a hard drive I like with the massive heat the laptop creates. I use the 1 TB My Passport because it was relatively cheap, it was portable, and it's such a sexy red. The flash drives are cheep and convinent kind of like Hamburger Helper!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/lifeoflittleme/status/376824178982154240

I'm currently using a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD because that was all that could fit in my budget 

MotherboardASUS M5A97 le R2.0, CPUAMD FX-6300, Graphics CardSapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB,

PSU: Corsair CX600M, RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series, HDD1TB Seagate Barracuda, CaseCM Storm Enforcer