Parent Gets ~$8K Bill for Child's Xbox Microtransactions

thedigitaldoctor

This kid sounds like an inconsiderate ass.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I'm completely stumped by the idiocy of both parents and kids these days. Why do parents trust their kids with something like that? Don't. Just don't.

And the father clearly hasn't learned his lesson either, because he thinks the consoles are the issue. Nope. It is how you raised your son, obviously.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Actually the parent is not responisble. It is Unauthorized use.

Negative, it's not fraudulent.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

"free to play" goes right in here - this shit should be illegal because publishers deliberately target children with these games

but let's not ignore the parent's issue in this case - when you give a child access to a substantial sum of cash you should also set up, with the bank, alerts on payments

you just don't give your kid a credit card and expect him to understand the value of money

Almost 8k credit limit seems pretty respectable, enough that he could reasonably bounce back financially since you don't build such credit limit over night anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

so basically you lived like a slave? Unless in your country, going to high school doesnt take 8 hours or more every day of the week.

It's call having a responsibility and preparing yourself for the real world. So by the time some kid graduated from high school, who has $0 in his bank account. He will have a decent amount. Buying the parts you want with your own money, without asking (begging) from parents is the best thing ever, a sense of independence. Maybe you should try that out, instead of saying he's living like a slave.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This is all kinds of fail... lol

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I would be making him repay every penny. Time for a job kiddo.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Almost 8k credit limit seems pretty respectable, enough that he could reasonably bounce back financially since you don't build such credit limit over night anyway.

That's not saying much, i have a 18k credit limit on one of my cards and I'm a 27 year old developer with only one income. Sure i might be able to pay off 18k of debit eventually, but it would take a long time and I'm sure the interest would add tons to it by then. My credit is good so the company just keeps raising the limit even when i don't ask them to. Its to encourage you to spend more even if you don't normally.

Just because their credit limit is high, doesn't mean they can pay it all off, or without significant hardship. That's why credit card debt is so horrible in the US now days, people have racked up thousands and thousands more than what they can afford because they think credit cards are unlimited.

But on topic: Kid was 17, make his ass pay for it. Make them get a job and garnish their wages until they have paid it off. There is no reason for a kid to have their parents bail them out of such a stupid decision at such an age. Giving them a free pass is just going to encourage more bad fiscal habits later.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

First off, EA are a bunch of fucktards who only know how to leech your money. Second, this kid is a filthy liar, saying that he was oh-so-surprised at the amount.

"He thought it was a one-time fee for the game," Perkins said.

WHAT?!?! THAT'S THE PROOF! NO MICROTRANSACTION IS WORTH $7,625.88!

"He's just as sick as I am, [because] he never believed he was being charged for every transaction, or every time he went onto the game."

That just PISSES ME OFF! HE KNEW HE WAS BEING CHARGED! IT SAYS SO! AND THAT SECOND ARGUMENT?!?! EA MAY BE FUCKTARDS, BUT AT LEAST THEY DO IT LEGALLY!

"There will never be another Xbox system — or any gaming system — in my home."

Oh yeah, sure!!! Let's just blame the console, I bet that fixes everything! NO IT DOESN'T!! IT DOESN'T!!! THIS GUY OBVIOUSLY FEELS GUILTY ABOUT NOT RAISING HIS SON CORRECTLY AND WANTS TO AVOID PROBLEMS THAT HIGHLIGHT THAT!!!

And besides, even if this guy is too stupid to set parental controls, who gives their son a full-blown credit card in the first place? A personal debit for them? Not a bad idea. But CREDIT?!?! NO!!! 

*calms down*

I had to blow off steam. These cases where the parent is ultimately to blame at some point, and just evades admitting to bad parenting, just tick me off.

Now, as to the kid, he should not be able to even touch that game, or any game, until he has paid it off, no matter how long it takes.

TL;DR - EA are fucktards, the kid is a lie, the parent is ultimately guilty, case closed.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

What kind of parent freely let their childern use their own credit card ffs

parents that think they raised their kids right. With the amount of trust my parents give me I could become them in another country.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Abysmal parents or a son with five extra chromosomes?

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Fifa? He's lying. He probably just bought the complete edition of Sims 4, early release pack.

I have never used my credit card for games, ever, and never will. i'm done with games. i have not played for 6 month. just mobile games when going to work and back. i was playing games on PC for 5 years and have closed 97 games. It is just a waste of precious time. i'm 24 now and i feel good without games and windows (yeah i use Linux and Mac) :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Couple notes:

1) does fifa support in game trading (i.e. skins for money?) if so, he could have bought some special edition, one of a kind skin that cost $7,500 that just made some dev happy . . .

2) The father is not responsible. IF and only IF, he files fraud charges against his son. Making his son a felon. He would never do that, so he has to foot the bill.

3) Talk of credit card limits? lol. . . 50k is easy to have as a limit, between 3 cards, I could buy a nice home if they allowed that kind of transaction. But all it really means is that it keeps your % credit use lower based on what you actually use. i.e. you do not want to use more than about 6% of your available credit on your combined cards. So, if all of your cards total around 100k in available credit, you don't want to have over 6k on them at one time. Otherwise it effects your credit ratings (read this statement a few times if you're new to credit).  

4) at 17, the kid new good and well what he was doing. Unless they breed em differently up in Canada, eh?

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

It's call having a responsibility and preparing yourself for the real world. So by the time some kid graduated from high school, who has $0 in his bank account. He will have a decent amount. Buying the parts you want with your own money, without asking (begging) from parents is the best thing ever, a sense of independence. Maybe you should try that out, instead of saying he's living like a slave.

full time job 40 hours a week

going to high school 40 hours a week

assignments 5-10 hours a week

studying 5-10 hours a week

commute 5 to 15 hours a week

I dont want to live in the real world if the real world requires me  to work 95 to 110 hours a week. No fucking wonder kids theses days are all on redbull and garbage like that.

FIFA as become a f2p?

Hope the parents did the only American thing to do and shot that console down and slap the crap out of his son... Oh wait! Slapping your kids is no bueno now, right? Then that explains a lot

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

full time job 40 hours a week

going to high school 40 hours a week

assignments 5-10 hours a week

studying 5-10 hours a week

commute 5 to 15 hours a week

I dont want to live in the real world if the real world requires me  to work 95 to 110 hours a week. No fucking wonder kids theses days are all on redbull and garbage like that.

Full Time Job - Average is 38 Hrs

High School - 35Hrs

Assignments and Studying - 10Hrs

Commute - 4 Hrs

That would have been what mine would have been if I worked in high school, remember it's different everywhere.

168Hrs (24Hrs x 7days)

- 87Hrs (Above)

- 49 Hrs (7Hrs sleep per night)

32 Hrs Free - which would be around 4.5 hours free each day, which sounds about average and not to bad. Considering you can buy and manage your own money.

38Hrs x $14/Hr = $532/Week

x~40 weeks working = $21280

x 3 years = $63840

Taking into account you may not want to work for your last two years of high school (focus on study) and my Country's averages (Australia). So after High School you could buy a car and pay off a university degree, that's a lot better then my current position (wish I worked a tiny bit in high school). But in the end it's not for everyone.

Edit: forgot that grade 7 is now High School, so that even gives another year of possible income, or reduced income.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

this reminds me of someone I know payed $500 on rolling CS cases off his his dad's credit card.

i just hope that one day they get kicked to the curb and can't fend for themselves because mommy isnt there to shell out cash.

I dont spend money on case or keys,I trade for them which is the smart way,I just don't know how he could spend that much

The parents have a credit card with a high limit (I'm assuming at least $10k). Interesting that they would allow their child access to that card. 

I would never give my kids my credit card, unless it had a $1k limit, or less.

Microtransactions are extremely annoying for parents. Seeing games with $100+ microtransactions and kids wanting them but not understanding why they cant get it (little ones usually) is REALLY terrible. Games should not be like this at all. I refuse to support any of it.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On Dec. 23, Lance Perkins got a credit card bill for $7,625.88 after his 17-year-old son used his credit card to make in-game purchases for one of the FIFA series of soccer games.

Football*

I'll go to hell for starting this but someone had to do this

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Why would you need to give a kid a credit card with over 8k limit? Im 24 and I only have a 1.6k limit on mine and it does me just fine..What a stupid parent for giving a 17 year old that kind of money.